OT - bean, lentil, barley recipes

Old August 31st 11, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

Default OT - bean, lentil, barley recipes

Hello folks,

We are trying to use more beans, lentils, barley and so on and fewer
potatoes and bread in our diet. This is difficult as my son's favourite
thing in the whole world is the bread machine and putting the
ingredients in it nearly every day to make bread.

Could you please share your favourite filling recipe for winter time?
The leaves have started falling here, yes, in August. All the signs are
for a hard winter - spiders are coming in already. I make a vegetarian
dish every other day and a meaty dish every other day, so any and all
recipes welcome!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 31st 11, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:14:44 +0100, Jo Gibson wrote:

Hello folks,

We are trying to use more beans, lentils, barley and so on and fewer
potatoes and bread in our diet. This is difficult as my son's favourite
thing in the whole world is the bread machine and putting the
ingredients in it nearly every day to make bread.

These might be of interest to you:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=740072

http://www.bread-maker.net/bread-mak...ntil-Bread.htm

The first just requires to add the stuff to the bread machine, the second
requires that the lentils be cooked first, but is otherwise all it
requires is putting the stuff in the bread machine and turning it on as
well. There are other bread recipes using barley or leintils, these are
just the first ones that came up in the search. I cannot say for
certain, but I think all these ingredients are certainly available in
Scotland.

Brian Christiansen

Old August 31st 11, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

A vegetarian friend told me that using haricots beans was good way to
'bulk up' pasta sauce. (Cooking tips or recipes are an *extremely rare
thing from me g)
..
In message , Jo Gibson
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 31st 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Here's my favorite:
Red Lentil Soup
(American measures)

2 onions
2 cloves garlic
4 tomatoes (or use a can of whole tomatoes)
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
6 green cardamom pods
½ stick cinnamon
1 ¼ cups red lentils
3 ¾ cups water or chicken broth
1 can (14 oz/ 400 g) coconut milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Chop onion and garlic. Chop tomatoes coarsely. Put everything except
the coconut milk, lemon juice and salt into a large pot. Bring to a
boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are
soft.

Remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. You may puree the soup in
honor of elegant guests; I usually serve as is. Just before serving,
add the coconut milk and lemon juice. Heat very gently without
boiling. Correct the seasoning. Serve garnished with cumin seeds or
chopped fresh tomatoes.

A very delicious vegetarian dish if you don't use chicken broth!
Roberta in D

Old September 6th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

We were at a winery, wine tasting one day and they were sampling some of the
other goodies they make. One was a marinara sauce & they sampled it using
very thinly cut carrots. It was almost like eating spaghetti, but better,
cause no carbs!!

Pauline
Northern California

.
In message , Jo Gibson
writes
Hello folks,

We are trying to use more beans, lentils, barley and so on and fewer
potatoes and bread in our diet. This is difficult as my son's favourite
thing in the whole world is the bread machine and putting the ingredients
in it nearly every day to make bread.

Could you please share your favourite filling recipe for winter time? The
leaves have started falling here, yes, in August. All the signs are for a
hard winter - spiders are coming in already. I make a vegetarian dish
every other day and a meaty dish every other day, so any and all recipes
welcome!

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Barley Cloth, Pecos Weave Elaine Needlework 0 January 26th 06 12:04 AM
Bean Salad recipe (OT) Katherine Yarn 8 July 14th 05 10:43 PM
Barley bead with Penguins - Oh Barbara.... KDK Beads 20 August 15th 04 06:51 AM
Michael Barley Penguin Bead!!! Karen_AZ Beads 7 April 12th 04 06:50 PM
AD: Michael O'Barley's Ceilidh and Blushed Pink and Black Susan B. Beads 8 October 5th 03 01:46 AM