I truly hate digital cameras

Old May 21st 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default I truly hate digital cameras

I cannot take a picture with one to save my freaking life!
Even with a tripod they come out all fuzzy and out of focus.
I have two 35mm slr cameras that I can take perfectly fine pictures with,
but film and developing is almost impossible to find anymore, at least
decently done at an affordable price.

I wanted to take a picture of a quilt for bragging points.
After a dozen tries I just want to fling the stupid camera through the
window.

It is a baby quilt. Mama tried and tried and did not manage to catch
until she was forty. So she has Opinions and Preferences.(G)
She wants everything in brights, neons where possible. No trad baby
pastels for this munchkin!
I got a peek at some of what she already had, and after wrapping my
eyeballs in damp teabags and letting them rest overnight, I set out to
suss out a plan for the baby quilt that would not make my brain swell.
Usually I tend to all over patterns, blocks that when put together make a
whole. This time I went to independent blocks, a star sampler with the
stars in every color of the rainbow. That way I managed to squeeze in
the astonishing assortment of colors that she has come up with, plus a
few, while avoiding some of the eyewatering combinations that can result
from it. I had very pretty indigo with gold lines spaced through it from
a thrift shop kicking around, somebody had bought it, cut it up into 12
inch squares, and then never done anything with it. I used that for
backing, so the stars really pop. I threw a sort of mariners compass
looking star in the middle, put feathered star variations in the corners,
and just scattered every star pattern I know and a couple I looked up
throughout the rest of it.

It came out a little larger than baby quilts usually are, around 66x57,
but it will just last her a little longer that way.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 21st 11, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

Kudos on design and determination, girlfriend!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
Old May 22nd 11, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Something has to be wrong with the camera. I can take a pretty decent
picture on my dh's old digital camera and even was able to learn how to
unload (can't remember if it is up or down but is seems like you should
'unload' them from the camera) . I really
enjoy the instant gratification. See if you can find another camera to
test. We just got back from a trip to San Diego to visit ds. A trip to the
Wild Animal Park with DH an DS has netted a zillion photos since they both
have pretty fancy new cameras. My only request was someone get a halfway
decent pic of me. They both did pretty good. Only problem was neither of
the fancy schmancy cameras has a 'wrinkle' button. Guess you can't have
everything. Keep trying if I can get a fair picture anyone can.
Taria

Old May 22nd 11, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My idiot digital camera only does w-i-d-e. Don't know why. However. It
did come in handy. We bought a new car back in January and wondered why it
looked so cloudy. Finally - expecting to have to have it clear-coated or
re-painted or something expensive and painful, Mr. Esther scrubbed it down
severely with who-knows-what.
The scrub removed all of the cheap/fast wash and shine filth that the
dealer had coated it with to keep it 'for show' pretty.
Long story short: New car is gorgeous now and DH asked me to take its
picture. Miss Mimosa is blooming now in a glorious manner, I knelt down at
the back bumper and took new car's picture. Ah. Finally. Just one time,
looking wide on a digital photo is Fine. Anyone want to ride in a parade?
I've got the car. Want to take a picture looking long and wide? My camera
can do it. Polly

Old May 22nd 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Sounds delightful! Too bad about the photo, this is one I'd really
like to see. But sometimes the devices take pity on you if you try
another day.
Roberta in D

Old May 22nd 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

DD went to our local photographer to have a really nice portrait done,
at her father's request. The photographer took about 100 shots, then
gussied up some of them in case we liked that sort of thing, so that
there were more like 150 to choose from. Our favorite was one he
hadn't worked on, so we got to watch him tweak it. DD's embarrassing
zit magically disappeared, along with a shiny spot or 2. If she'd been
older, I'm sure the guy could have erased wrinkles! Made me realize
that there's still a lot of skill involved, in spite of digital
cameras. Mine is even supposed to be idiot-proof. Hah!
Roberta in D

On Sat, 21 May 2011 19:24:19 -0700, "Taria"
wrote:

Something has to be wrong with the camera. I can take a pretty decent
picture on my dh's old digital camera and even was able to learn how to
unload (can't remember if it is up or down but is seems like you should
'unload' them from the camera) . I really
enjoy the instant gratification. See if you can find another camera to
test. We just got back from a trip to San Diego to visit ds. A trip to the
Wild Animal Park with DH an DS has netted a zillion photos since they both
have pretty fancy new cameras. My only request was someone get a halfway
decent pic of me. They both did pretty good. Only problem was neither of
the fancy schmancy cameras has a 'wrinkle' button. Guess you can't have
everything. Keep trying if I can get a fair picture anyone can.
Taria
.. .

Old May 22nd 11, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I bet you have a "panorama" function, lucky girl. Read the book, find
the appropriate button, and turn it off :-)
Roberta in D

Old May 22nd 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well I asked about being made thinner and was told that is software
not the actual shooting. I suppose the wrinkle tweaking would be too.

We are able to take so many shots with our digital cameras compared to
the expense of shooting with film it is amazing. There is a definite art
to the taking and processing of real art compared with my snapshots
though.

In addition to the manual there are usually whole books written
for using cameras. DH mentioned that if you read reviews on Amazon
for your particular camera lots of complaints are followed by more responses
of fixes. Usually user error not the camera itself.

I don't think I want a shot of me from Polly's wide shooting camera.
Few of us need that!
Taria

Old May 22nd 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I thought it might be the camera the first time.
We have gone through a few of them now though, and I don't get anything
but fuzz out of any of them. For the life of me I don't know what I
could possibly be doing. I never have been able to get anything much out
of any sort of camera that is seriously automatic though, so I imagine
that has something to do with it. I cannot begin to guess what, but
there it is.

I wonder if they make manual focus digital cameras?

NightMist

Old May 22nd 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think all of them here are auto and manual. Dh had a freebie cheapie
years ago that was really crappy. Worth nothing which was what it cost.
The tv consumer guy did a spot on the news the other day and they were
talking about how great the new phone cameras are. You have to reach a
certain price point to get quality I guess. Could be some
work.
Taria

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

Latest Canon Digital Cameras Chennai | Best Compact Digital Camera |Canon Powershot Digital Cameras Smart Shoppers Beads 0 November 10th 09 10:49 AM
OT Cameras Kate T. Quilting 13 May 14th 08 05:03 PM
OT - Web cameras LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 3 November 30th 04 12:38 AM
Digital Cameras OT Flossy Quilting 25 July 19th 04 06:58 PM
cameras & scanners -thread Armand Vine Beads 2 April 30th 04 12:59 AM