OT I want a do over

Old July 6th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT I want a do over

For the entire year.

Yes children, the whole year has so far just sucked.

Today in the latest episode of what can happen to make this year just
a bit worse, my mail was stolen.

I decided that since I am having to sit still a lot, that I would get
some new books and DVDs to make that a little more bearable. Tracking
said that they should have been here last Thursday.
Today I found five ripped open mailers and the two books lying in a
heap on my porch.

AGGGGHHHH!!!!

I would guess that some neighbor ran across the stuff and put it on my
porch, the books and mailers are damp and dirty. The one DVD that
actually arrived and was in the mailbox today, was the one I paid a
dollar plus shipping for because I would never pay full price for it.
It is possibly the worst sequal ever made, but it filled out the set.
Of course the other movies in the set were stolen.

So I have contacted the vendors and told them that if anything was
insured to file a claim.
I have tried contacting the postal inspector, but will have to call
back later. Apparently the computers are down for the entire postal
service. Of course! how not?

At least the stuff I ordered for the kids' birthdays either got here
OK or is still in transit. Though one of the trays for Ash's easel
was damaged in shipping. Fortunately I got that from Dick Blick and
they are replacing it.

DH is going to do an uncrossing for me, and I am seriously considering
devoting the next couple of weeks to fabricating icons in the hopes
that deities start smiling again.

NightMist

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old July 6th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

My dear departed mother-in-law used to get up from her chair and circle it a
couple times when she was getting bad hands when playing cards. I wish
there was something like that we could do to change our fortunes in real
life. Maybe your DH has the key....I hope it works. When I saw your
subject, I immediately thought, "I want one too!". But I'd have to go back
a little further than just this year.
Many hugs and good thoughts.....you've been through it lately.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 6th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

I'm with you, Nightmist. This has not been the best year for my
household and I could stand a do-over, with a few exceptions carved
out and kept. Let me know if your husband's work does the trick. As
for icons, how does one make an icon and which deity would one use?

Sunny
again spending the day with high fever and pain everywhere -- too sick
to go to the rheumatologist ....... the one who keeps telling me that
I'm really not sick and I just need more exercise.
Old July 6th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT I don't want a do over

Hey, if there's anything I don't want, it's a 'do over'. This year has been
rough for us too and I'm grateful that we've lived through it. And Sunny -
sounds like to me that you need to sack up that rheumatologist that tells
you that you're really not sick. It's awfully hot here and the gators don't
have much of an appetite. Maybe if we marinated the rheumatologist in
something zesty they would give him a try. Polly

"onetexsun" wrote I'm with you, Nightmist. This has not been the best year

Old July 6th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

NightMist wrote:
[...]

AARRGGHH!

((((((NightMist))))))

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 7th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

FWIW, last year was the year I needed a do-over. This year, (I hope I'm not
tempting fate) has gone very well, of course, if you have a bad year (or, in
my case two bad years), you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I'm feeling very optimistic & enjoying the good times!

Pauline
Northern California

Old July 7th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

When you put it that way Polly.....a 'do over' isn't really a good idea is
it? How about a 'do differently'?

I love Sunny's description of "carving out a few exceptions and keeping
them". She certainly has a command of words and visuals.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 7th 09, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Good point.
Most of the stuff has been beyond my control (I hate that!).
The best I could have done to make an improvement would be to set up
armed guards on my porch and shoot the lawnmower men on sight.
Maybe I should go and check the tamarack swamp for gators. It has a
number hot sulfer springs and there are all manner of strange things
in there.

NightMist

Old July 7th 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:19:30 -0700 (PDT), onetexsun
wrote:

As
for icons, how does one make an icon and which deity would one use?

I reckon I would start with the A's and proceed alphabetically at this
point. (G)

There are tons of ways to make icons. It is a devotional rather than
magical undertaking. I personally consider the specific deity to
determine the best way to proceed in making an icon for them.
Even so there would still be a number of ways to proceed, depending on
your perspective and favorite table of correspondences.
You could actually quilt an icon quite easily. Many of the painted or
sculpted ones are censed with mixtures sacred to the deity in
question, and often in painting icons those things are mixed into the
paint especially if it is a sculpture to be painted. Quilting you
could take it a step further and quilt sachets right into it, or
pocket them in like a dream pillow.

Still, painting and sculpture are the first things that pop into my
mind for making icons.
DH brought me five pounds of fresh plastilina, and I have plaster so
that may be the direction I go in over the next few days. Ash is
just a disaster if he is within two rooms of me when I am painting,
but he has curiously little interest in clay. So I could probably play
with clay right in my comfy chair.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf