OT

Old July 9th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default OT

Sunny's story is a true story! Shocking to say the least. At one time & I
don't know if it is still practiced, in order to convert African-Americans,
they were promised when they died that they would turn white & be accepted
in heaven! Who could actually believe that?

I never want to offend anyone's religious beliefs. If it works for you &
you are not harming anyone with your beliefs, I'm happy for you. I would
only ask that you not come knocking at my door trying to convert me. If I'm
looking for a religion, I know how to go about researching what would suit
my lifestyle.

And just a word of caution - I think we need to be careful that we do not
offend any of our RCTQ members. For example, lots of people feel free to
tell Jewish jokes, because our last name is O'Connell - but, the truth of
the matter is that my husband is Jewish. Awkward at times!

Pauline
Northern California

"onetexsun" wrote in message
Living in Arizona I learned a great deal about LDS and most of it was
not to my liking. I could tell you stories that would curl your hair,
straight through the computer, LOL. I will tell you how to rid
yourself once and for all of LDS missionaries who really don't know
you. Go get a few Watch Towers (the JW publication) and keep them by
the door. When LDS come by, tell them "I'm Jehova's Witness. I'd like
to share my beliefs with you. And please take a Watch Tower." Oh my.
Those young men fairly flew down my sidewalk. They just really don't
want to meet their mirror image and have to deal with it. I know it's
wrong, definitely a sin. But sometimes you have to fight fire with
fire.

BTW, in case you don't know, the LDS worldwide mission is to collect
information on everybody who ever lived and is now dead and to
posthumously marry them to someone in the church and then baptize the
dead soul into the LDS church. There's a name for it. Can't remember
now. It got dicey a few years back when it became known that they were
baptizing Holocaust victims into their church roles. They agreed not
to do that for some set number of years (basically until all the
living Holocaust victims would no longer be alive to object).

For the record, I'm a person of faith. If you want to know what faith
and the details I'll be glad to share but not without an
invitation.

Sunny

Old July 9th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
the ones i dont like are the "witnesses"...i dont mind that they
have "religion" just dont foist it upon me.

Jeanne, post a "No Soliciting" sign on your door. with a picture
of a Colt 45.

The Witnesses have a policy of not bothering anybody who tells them
not to come back. We have some locally, they're polite and friendly.

The Mormons are different - teenage zombie thugs who don't know what
"NO" means. They're almost a good reason for owning a gun.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

I have a very easy going cousin who had to threaten to deck a pair of
Mormon missionaries who refused to leave he and his wife alone as they
walked to their car from store. Unbelievable! He'd told them 3 times
they weren't interested.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada, USA
http://desertquilter.webs.com
Old July 9th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

I have some dear friends who are LDS. They were not interested in
converting me and I wasn't interested in converting them. I am
probably too quick to criticize and to judge. But I have friends in
every faith you can imagine. My dear friend (patron saint and
benefactor) Janae was a member of an outright cult. One aspect of the
cult was that each level of spiritual growth came after several
classes, each of which had to be paid for. Some weren't even classes.
They were "awards" made after large payments. Two weeks before Janae
died, she was losing consciousness quickly and desperately wanted to
graduate to the next level in her faith, one that would allow her to
enter the Master's presence after death. She had paid and was ready.
The religious leader came from Seattle to initiate her to the next
level, but told me she just had to have the receipt before she could
proceed. I won't tell you exactly what I said; I'm ashamed of myself
because I made that little woman afraid. But I made it clear that
Janae was to get her initiation that day, without delay or fuss,
receipt or no receipt. The ceremony was held within the hour and Janae
was aware of it. By the next day she ceased to be aware of most
everything in this existence.

I guess my point is, I can live with any and every faith. I just don't
want to see anyone hurt by that faith. I was hurt by the faith I grew
up with -- it was harsh and terrifying and many years had to pass
before I could take my soul out of hiding, brush it off and trust it
to seek God again.

Sunny
Old July 9th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:18:22 -0700 (PDT), onetexsun
wrote:

[...]

Don't you dare be ashamed of that!

I am certain that the deities have special plans for "spiritual
leaders" who would tell a dying person that for just a small fee they
will say the proper prayers to assure the poor soul's entrance into
heaven. To deny her for the lack of a slip of paper confirming that
payment had already been made? You were probably much kinder than I
would have been!

I guess my point is, I can live with any and every faith. I just don't
want to see anyone hurt by that faith. I was hurt by the faith I grew
up with -- it was harsh and terrifying and many years had to pass
before I could take my soul out of hiding, brush it off and trust it
to seek God again.

Faith should be a joy and a comfort.
I have no time for those religions that are stuck in the Fear ensures
Faith rut, nor the ones that get by by assuring all their followers
that they are better than everybody else.

NightMist

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old July 9th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I'm the director of my town's food pantry, which is run out of my
church, United Methodist. About 3 years ago, two very well dressed young
men came up the ramp to discuss their religion with us. They were
already talking to my clients when I spotted them. I told them that I
can't even talk religion with my clients because we are a
non-denominational food pantry which services folks of all religions.

One of them asked if we needed any help at our church, so never being
one to look a gift horse in the mouth, said Sure, roll up your sleves
and follow me. I took them down to the bowels of the building where my
storage area is and had them haul up box after box of canned goods for a
couple of hours. They were sweating pretty hard, but were very
accomodating. Then before they left I called the head church trustee
and asked if we needed any other work down by two strapping helpful boys
and he wanted them there in the morning for yard work. He had them
raking and pulling weeds in the scorching hot sun for a few hours, but
they did it without complaint.

We haven't seen another Mormon at the church since, too bad, I need a
few heavy boxes moved. They were really nice kids.

Denise

Old July 9th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Maybe you made them feel at home because they miss
their moms? The stint is 2 years for those boys afaik.
I bet they do get homesick.

I had no intentions of insulting anyone with my comments.
I hope I didn't. I am really concerned about my neice and
the whole situation she is in. I don't know anyone that
can really answer questions. That in itself is odd to me
Lots on the internet of course but that only has sent up a
lot of red flags. : (

Taria, quilt guild gals alleged they would 'save' me one
day. I changed guilds.

Old July 10th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

a lot of religions say if you dont believe in their diety
you'll either go to hell or purgatory but their god wont have you.
sounds like fear to me.
j.

"NightMist" wrote...

Old July 10th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

We are such a clear-headed, solid bunch of people. I'm proud of us,
collectively. I'm really happy to be a part of this community. Wish I
could have all of you over for coffee/tea and goodies. I'm a great
baker and could whip up some stuff that would make us all realize that
heaven has already descended to earth.

Sunny
Old July 10th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

MMMMMM sounds heavenly!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 10th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

i guess i always think of the movie "Latter Days" when i think of
those young Mormon boys.
a little graphic, but they got the point across pretty clearly. and
yes, fear is a big issue IMO with any
"formal" religion.
personally, i gave up the church. born and raised Catholic, i have
been dissapointed, shamed, snubbed, and
used by the congragation for too many years. i now feel in my heart
that i can honestly say i have more faith
in the earth and nature than anything.

amy in CNY

OOOOHHHH, Sunny! cheesecake sounds lovely, i have fresh
strawberries....!!!