OT Help with pain

Old June 11th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default OT Help with pain

I encourage you to try icing your back. I have just recovered from 2
painful days of back pain (sciatica flared up) & if it hadn't been for my DH
nagging me to ice it, I'd probably still be miserable. I think it is
usually recommended to ice 10 minutes on & 10 minutes off.

Other than that, I'm on board with everyone else - get to a real MD!

Good luck - I hope you get some relief soon!

Pauline
Northern California

"Taria" wrote in message
I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain. It is pretty tough
to help if you don't know what the problem is. If you get it diagnosed
you really have a better chance of getting to it. That said, I have
to agree with Polly. If I quit moving I am done for. It seems the
totally resting your back would be a good idea but for me that is the
worst thing I can do. Heat feels really good but I am have been told
10-15 minutes of ice actually helps more in the long run. When my
back starts paining me I hit the ibuprofen and try to head it off.
That works most of the time for me. I don't doubt that the wedding stress
and drive probably were a part of the whole too. I really think
you need to know what you are dealing with so you can learn to deal.
Hugs, Taria

NightMist wrote:
Mostly this is just an outburst of sheer misery.
However any suggestions anybody has are welcome.

OK, I hurt.
This year's garden is still unplanted.
I can only do handwork a few inches at a time.
I mostly am able to very carefully sit in one spot and try not to
move.
It is that stupid back thing.
When I have had it before generally there is nothing for it but to
carry on and wait for it to go away. But this time it is not going
away. I tried going to the clinic for it once before, they basicly
accused me of attempting medicaid fraud. The PA couldn't figure it out
so she decided I must be trying to scam an oxycontin 'script, and she
would not hear otherwise. I am not particularly inclined to go back.
Today is better than yesterday, but I've been here before and have no
idea if that will continue.
It feels like all the muscles in a four or five inch space an inch or
two below my left shoulderblade are just vibrateing madly, but if you
put a hand on the spot you can't feel anything. It has gone on long
enough that it feels very sore, like badly torn muscles. And still
the vibrating feeling continues.
So I am taking asprin, I am taking fish oil in case it is some sort of
neuralgia, I am wishing hard for a stiff drink just for the muscle
relaxation to see if that helps, of course kiri thinks it might be a
kidney infection because she is ever prone to think of organ
dysfunction first. I don't know what it is, but I want it to stop.

I am thinking I might just be in a perfect mood to ring the clinic and
try to bully them into setting me up with a real doctor.

NightMist
owieowieowieowieowie

Old June 11th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

When I am icing down my back everyone knows I am hurting.
It doesn't feel so great but gets the swelling down.
Glad you are feeling better Pauline.
TAria

Old June 11th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Ice! Definitely lie on an ice pack. 10-15 minutes on the ice, same
amount of time off the ice. Roll up a bathtowel and put that under your
neck while you lie there. Do this several times a day.

If it hurts to lie flat on your back, scootch up close to a chair or
couch and put your lower legs up on the seat. So it looks like you are
sitting (but strangely :-) ) That will take any pressure off your lower
back.

Any chance your insurance will cover a good chiropractor? If so, hunt
for one who deals with sports injuries and ask him/her about any
stretches that would be beneficial for you.

marcella

Old June 11th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

(((((Hugs)))))
I think you ought to do that very thing!
No suggestions, really, but I've been enduring a vague off-and-on pain
in my left hip that occasionally radiates down the leg, worse at
night, wakes me up if I roll over on my left side. Then on my last
gyno appointment, a couple of days ago, the doctor found some large
fibroids. Nothing to cause concern, she thought, only to monitor. So I
looked it up at the Mayo site when I got home, and one of the listed
symptoms for fibroid troubles was leg and back pain!

I mention this because the most unlikely things could be causing your
symptoms. You really do need a real doctor!
Roberta in D

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:05:08 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

Mostly this is just an outburst of sheer misery.
However any suggestions anybody has are welcome.

(clipped)

Old June 11th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Back pain is no fun that's for sure. I have a screwed up lower back
and the heat and cold combinations others have talked about help
sometimes. Also robaxacet (which is a muscle relaxant/
anti-inflammatory). And gentle movement....I find I "seize up" if I
stay still too long. (Kind of like a shark which needs to keep swimming
or it will sink to the bottom).
Hope you can get to see a doctor soon for proper advice.... Good luck!!
Allison

Old June 11th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:41:02 -0400, Allison
wrote:

Back pain is no fun that's for sure. I have a screwed up lower back
and the heat and cold combinations others have talked about help
sometimes. Also robaxacet (which is a muscle relaxant/
anti-inflammatory). And gentle movement....I find I "seize up" if I
stay still too long. (Kind of like a shark which needs to keep swimming
or it will sink to the bottom).
Hope you can get to see a doctor soon for proper advice.... Good luck!!

Seeing a doctor may be a tricksy tricksy thing.

They want me to see a PA first, to make sure I need to see a doctor.
I have pointed out that I do not need eardrops, that I am allergic to
the two primary antibiotic families that the PAs prescribe, that I
react unpredictably to narcotics so I don't want any, and that pain is
making me very cranky. They still want me to see a PA.

As soon as I can get somebody to bend over and get the phone book out
of the drawer for me I will see if Dr Hottie has a private practice
and try ringing his office. I might be able to wangle my way in to
see him on the basis of having seen him at the clinic.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, DH has jumped on kiris bandwagon. He is
now thinking infection and pushing for medical attention. Very nice,
how about he comes in here and gets he thrice bedammed phonebook out
of the drawer for me? He started having spasms when he remembered me
complaining about my period spotting instead of doing anything
substantial. He has become convinced that it is not my period at all.
Now way to tell really. I am at that age where I either bleed half to
death or spot and skip.
As soon as I get the Stupid Phonebook out of the Stupid Drawer, I will
have to call. To quiet him if nothing else.

Of course for the past couple of days our internet connection has been
iffy. Otherwise I would just look the doctor up online. No usenet
connection last weekend, now the web connection is extremely sluggish
and prone to falling down. I miss my old little bitty isp!

Can you tell that sitting quietly is not a manic person's best thing?
Especially not mine!

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old June 11th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I understand very well about not being able to get the phone book. When I
was in 'cannot bend' mode, Yogi needed a drink of water. I was able to fill
his water bowl but stood there looking dumb and wondering how in the Sam
Hill I was going to put it on the floor. Could not. Just could not.
Thought about sitting on the sofa with it and trying to persuade him to
jump up. Not going to happen. Yogi is afraid of heights (any heights) and
does not jump. I finally got down on my hands and knees with the filled bowl
in one hand. A neat trick for sure but it had to be done. Getting back up
was much easier.
I surely do hope you get help or relief soon. hugs, Polly

Old June 12th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

NightMist wrote:
[...]

Gentle hugs and payers for relief on their way.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 12th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

When I was recovering from my broken hip & Liam's water bowl was empty, I
filled up the pitcher I use for my Latte each morning & stood over the bowl
& poured the water in I almost always got all the water in, but sometimes
there I splashed a little.

The hospital had DH pick up an amazing kit for me & I know it is sold in all
the drug stores. There is a tool that you can use to pick things up from
the floor with - I don't know what it's called, but it came in the Hip
Replacement Kit. There was also a gadget that I used to put socks on -
amazing little gadget! It might be helpful Nightmist, if you can get DH to
go to the drugstore & pick one up for you. It saved my bacon many times.

Pauline
Northern California

Old June 12th 09, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have one of those terrific 'pick up from the floor' gadgets. It is
also great for getting hold of things that are too high (not usually a
problem for me g, but just occasionally!). Stretching often hurts as
much as bending.
..
In message , Pauline
writes
When I was recovering from my broken hip & Liam's water bowl was empty,
I filled up the pitcher I use for my Latte each morning & stood over
the bowl & poured the water in I almost always got all the water in,
but sometimes there I splashed a little.

The hospital had DH pick up an amazing kit for me & I know it is sold
in all the drug stores. There is a tool that you can use to pick
things up from the floor with - I don't know what it's called, but it
came in the Hip Replacement Kit. There was also a gadget that I used
to put socks on - amazing little gadget! It might be helpful
Nightmist, if you can get DH to go to the drugstore & pick one up for
you. It saved my bacon many times.

Pauline
Northern California

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Back Pain [email protected] Beads 0 February 5th 08 02:45 AM
right arm pain? myswendy[_2_] Yarn 6 June 6th 07 12:47 PM
No Pain! Jalynne Beads 41 May 18th 04 04:18 AM
Living with Pain lula Needlework 6 March 12th 04 01:28 AM
Vs: OT - There is pain in my lungs! Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 August 18th 03 12:10 AM