Residual Bead Release?

Old September 26th 04, 07:53 PM
Kalera Stratton

The Dremel is a lifesaver... I have a regular plug-in Dremel that has a
flex-shaft attachment, much, much lighter than using a batter-operated
Dremel so if you have to clean a lot of beads it doesn't kill your arm.
Less vibrate-y too! I just hang the Dremel on a hook on the side of the
cabinet near enough to the sink that the flex-shaft reaches just fine.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

KDK wrote:
I want it all out too! I'm cleaning mine out now that aren't even for sale!

I've been doing it by hand though - sounds like the dremel would be much
faster.

Kathy K
"*~candygrrl~*" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here's my question. I've noticed that I've developed somewhat of a
obsessive-compulsive thing when it comes to bead release in my beads.
I find myself spending time getting every possible speck of it out of
each and every bead. Beadmakers, are you the same way? Is any amount
remaining acceptable or must it all be purged from existance? Now
obviously, I don't mean leaving a thick coat of release in there a la
chinese lampwork. I just mean, the rare random bit in a groove inside
every so often.

Bead buyers, how do you feel about this? If you don't see pristine
holes are you offended? Or as long as they are cleaned, you are
indifferent? Somewhere in between?

C2

Old September 26th 04, 09:41 PM
Stephanie

In a pipe store or pipe tobacco section of a store, you can buy pipe cleaners
with extra tough bits woven in. They get all the sticky tar outta pipe stems
(and some last bits of bead release outta beads.)

..Stephanie..

I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes
from within. It is there all the time. Anna Freud

Old September 26th 04, 11:05 PM
Kalera Stratton

You can avoid the asymmetrical-hole problem by rolling the bead very
quickly and smoothly against the bit... it's kind of hard to describe,
actually, but easy to demonstrate. It does take a bit of practice to
pick up the knack, and some people never do... I had to stop having
Andrew clean my beads, because he just couldn't keep the bead moving and
was always grinding the holes into ovals. (And scratching the outside
of the beads with the Dremel bit, and chipping the ends... argh!)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Bacchae wrote:
"*~candygrrl~*" wrote in message ...

Here's my question. I've noticed that I've developed

somewhat of a

obsessive-compulsive thing when it comes to bead release in

my beads.

Bead buyers, how do you feel about this? If you don't see

pristine

holes are you offended? Or as long as they are cleaned, you

are

indifferent? Somewhere in between?

I used to use my Dremel and a diamond bit until I realized that
the diamond bit was grinding away the inside of the hole and
could even make the hole unsymmetrical. I clean as good as I
possibly can and if a bead is transparent I have used clear
nail polish to coat the hold which makes a difference but if
you don't get it in correctly it can make the bead look messy.
One of the more frustrating things is a pretty purple bead I
have sitting here on my mouse pad that has some weird residue
up on the glass rather than in the hole and although I have
cleaned it repeatedly I can't get that bit of bead-poop off it.
Argh! It would be a purple one, too!

- Sandy

Old September 27th 04, 02:46 AM
KDK

Alright the votes are in. Time to get out the dremel! And I have the
flexshaft attachment too. Wheeeeeee

Kathy K