New babies--

Old April 20th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Default New babies--

No not mine, exactly. This morning as I was getting ready to go teach a
class the cat who has decided that I am her person, was really "clingy".
She, along with most of the female cats in the neighborhood, is very
pregnant. She was wandering and actually meowing---something she very
seldom does.
Followed me everywhere I went. wandered to the box set up in the dark
corner of the bottom shelf of the bookcase in the bedroom, wandered back
out and wanted attention.
I left. Rick said she came in and wanted attention so he went back to
the bedroom and talked to her while he laid on the bed reading. A bit
later, a "squeak" then another one.
When I got home, she was in the box with (I think)4 little grey, tiger
stripe babies. She wanted me to see them. Got out and followed me around
for a bit. let me sit with the kittens while she wandered out a bit, and
took some time to clean herself up some. Then back in the box with the
babies.
I set some food and water close to where she is, so she doesn't have to
go far for it. And the other cats can be kept away. G
So we have kittens.

She and the 2 males who have adopted us will be "copy protected" as soon
as we can afford it. (and after she has weaned the babies.)
Anyone want a kitten????

Pati, in Phx.
Old April 20th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Oh how sweet. Boy does that bring back memories. I would SO love to have
one of those little babies. But alas, the asthma requires that admire them
from afar. Got pics?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old April 20th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Pati Cook wrote:
No not mine, exactly. This morning as I was getting ready to go teach a
class the cat who has decided that I am her person, was really "clingy".
She, along with most of the female cats in the neighborhood, is very
pregnant. She was wandering and actually meowing---something she very
seldom does. .................
go far for it. And the other cats can be kept away. G
So we have kittens.

She and the 2 males who have adopted us will be "copy protected" as soon
as we can afford it. (and after she has weaned the babies.)
Anyone want a kitten????

Pati, in Phx.

Just FYI -- not sure if you have had a MomCat & baby kittens before
-- but males WILL kill the babies so make sure you keep them far away
from the little ones. Also, does MomCat have a litter box near by or
does she use the one outside? If she has a litter box inside, she might
want it kept cleaner than normal. I have no idea why, but the last
MomCat I had really wanted that litter box tended to more often than
normal. What food is she on? She would benefit from the food made for
pregnant or nursing Moms. That's if you haven't been feeding it to her
already :-).
It's nice to know that she wants you around the babies. If she'll
let you, start petting & handling them as soon as possible. It makes
such a difference in socializing kitties so that they like people and
will let you hold them, etc. I had a pure-bred Chinchilla Persian once
who was not played by the family who bred her mom. She was a beautiful
kitty but really wasn't very friendly and ended up running off when we
were gone on holiday :-(. That's when I started getting my babies from
the R.E.S.C.U.E. group at the PetSmart Adoption Center! Much nicer
babies and always friendly. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old April 20th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

LOL Pati, I'd love one but we have four already. I've told my husband, "No
one new until a vacancy is created." And, Lord willing, that'll be awhile.
Our oldest kitty is approaching ten and should have many cranky,
cantankerous years left. Kittens are so much fun though. It's sweet that Mom
trusts you to watch her kitties while she takes a break. I consider that a
sign of high privilege among cats.
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

news

Old April 20th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I miss that. Mother QIs are so special. I just may pop in for a while and
enjoy the babies with you. I wouldn't presume to touch but I could admire.
Polly

Old April 20th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Congratulations!
Kittens are so sweet. When DH and I got together he informed me he didn't
have much use for cats. I had two! Due to unfortunate accidents I went down
to one. HE had a big horn sheep head mounted on the wall, which I didn't
have much use for, so we figured fair was fair and I could have one cat and
he could have one dead animal on the wall.
Well, that was great till DD moved in with 2 cats, then my kitty got
pregnant and presented us with kittens, TWICE. The first time I had been
planning to get her fixed, but we were into pre-wedding arrangements and I
THOUGHT I had more time. (She was just a baby!) The second time I had been
waiting for her to wean the kittens and the next thing I know, she was
messing with the neighborhood tom again. This time when the kittens were
born I phoned the vet right away to see how soon after giving birth they
would do the job.
Surprisingly, the vet said 2 weeks. It didn't affect nursing at all. Mommy
cat came right home from the vet, and curled up with kittens.
Then DD, who was still living with us insisted on keeping one of the
kittens, giving her 3 and me 1, in the house where I had agreed that we
would only have 1 cat. DH has been making noises about needing to go hunting
again, cause Butt Head is lonely on the wall by himself.

DD is moving out next weekend. We will be down to 1 cat again. Don't dare
suggest to DH that we get another kitty!

Have fun with yours!

Marilyn
in BC, Canada (just for the weekend, back to Alberta on Monday)

news

Old April 20th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

birth control pills work on cats. one of ours took half a pill once a week.
tho not for birth control, hers was a nervous condition that this worked
really well for calming her down.
she was already fixed for no babys.
the more the merrier, Grandma Pati.
up at sparrows fart in the south pacific, argh.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Marigold" wrote...
Congratulations!
Kittens are so sweet. When DH and I got together he informed me he didn't
have much use for cats. I had two! Due to unfortunate accidents I went
down to one. snipped
Marilyn
in BC, Canada (just for the weekend, back to Alberta on Monday)

"Pati Cook" wrote...

snipped

Old April 20th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Pati Cook wrote:
[...]

Don't wait too long to have her 'fixed'. DS cat Polly (mother of Mia and
Kiwi) was booked in to the spayed at the time given by the vet, but when
she went for the op he found it was too late as she was already
expecting litter No. 2 (six more kittens). The second time the vet gave
her a contraceptive shot before the kittens were weaned to make sure it
didn't happen again. Apparently they can conceive again much quicker
than we realise - Polly took about 3 weeks, and if you already have
resident males ......

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old April 21st 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

No pics yet. But I may try to get a couple soon. And try to figure out
Webshots or something. G
Mama (Silver) is being a good mother, but she does go away from them for
a bit at a time. She usually comes up on my tummy when I wake up, before
I get out of bed, for a visit. And does the same when I go to bed for a
while. This is her usual routine. G And she can watch the babies at
the same time.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 21st 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Tia Mary wrote:
As soon as we can we will be putting her on the special food. And yes we
know about the males and kittens. One thing is that the 2 males are, we
think, brothers and from her last litter. They are not full grown but
are being kept away from the area. Silver is a pretty good little mother
and is not usually going far from the kittens.
We will be dealing with another litter box soon.
Thanks for caring about them. And we do like to socialize the kittens, I
have already petted them, with mama looking on. and we will both be
handling them when appropriate. BG