Newbie

Old March 8th 04, 08:46 PM
Blaster Master

Default Newbie

Hey all,

I'm new to the newsgroup and thought I'ld say "Hi!". I learned to quilt
from my Mom, who IMO makes the most beautiful quilts, but I may be biased.
:-) I do have a question though, years ago I cut out pieces for a quilt
using a 'baby block' design/pattern. Anyways, Mom said the best way to put
it together was piecing by hand. (That's probably why I haven't finished
it.) Can someone please reassure me there's a way to do this by machine??
Please.....it would be so much fun to prove Mom wrong. hahaha :-)

Deb in AR

Old March 8th 04, 10:16 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Welcome!
You are gonna get *lots* of differing opinions on this.... some say if you
hand piece you should hand quilt, some say machine all the way, I like to
machine piece, hand applique and hand quilt --usually... although i have
been known to mix and match throughout the quilt. I sometimes let the
difficulty of the pattern tell me what to do too.... Y seams often get hand
done, cause that's easier for me, sometimes machine strip piecing is
easiest.

I think it depends a lot on time constraints, comfort zones, whether you
want this to be an heirloom or a well used-often washed quilt, but the most
important thing is that you enjoy it. Ragmop will tell you Finished Is
GOOD!

Best of luck! And show us when you're done? someone else will tell you
where to post pics if you don't have a website.....

Kellie

. com...

Old March 8th 04, 10:52 PM
Kathy in CA

I prefer NOT to sew anything by hand--therefore I machine piece and machine
quilt. If machine sewing will get the quilt done--DO IT
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old March 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Patti

Hullo Deb and welcome
If you want to machine piece the baby block pattern (I assume this is
the one also called Tumbling Blocks?), you might find it a wee bit
awkward. It isn't so much difficult as tricky, because of 'Y' (or
inset) seams. If you mark the corner points of the diamonds, and sew
between those marks, you will find it works out very well. By 'corner
points' I mean the points where the seam lines intersect. You might
like to do a practice couple of blocks before launching out into the
quilt itself.
Set your blocks out so that you can see where you are going with the
design. Just pick up one piece from the layout as you come to sew it.
You can machine quilt the piece whether you hand or machine piece it.
..
In article , Blaster
Master writes
Hey all,

I'm new to the newsgroup and thought I'ld say "Hi!". I learned to quilt
from my Mom, who IMO makes the most beautiful quilts, but I may be biased.
:-) I do have a question though, years ago I cut out pieces for a quilt
using a 'baby block' design/pattern. Anyways, Mom said the best way to put
it together was piecing by hand. (That's probably why I haven't finished
it.) Can someone please reassure me there's a way to do this by machine??
Please.....it would be so much fun to prove Mom wrong. hahaha :-)

Deb in AR

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 8th 04, 11:42 PM
Rita

IMHO, anything that can be hand sewn can be machine sewn
--
Rita
http://www.ritasquilts.com

Old March 9th 04, 01:14 AM
Leslie in Missouri

Deb-

Are you any where near the Missouri border? And WELCOME to r.c.t.q.!!!

Leslie in waaaayyy south central MO

Old March 9th 04, 02:35 AM
Deb in AR

Leslie

Closer than we were in Little Rock. :-) We're in Jonesboro.

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

Old March 9th 04, 02:39 AM
Deb in AR

COOL! So as soon as I can find time to get to my machine I'll try to
machine piece. Call it brainwashing, but Mom taught me to hand-quilt, which
for me is relaxing. But hand-sewing is a different story! I'm just wierd
that way I guess...haha

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

Old March 9th 04, 03:56 AM
Taria

Hey Leslie, How is Simon working out? Any takers on the house yet?
Springtime should be a good time for house hunters.
Taria

Old March 9th 04, 05:14 AM
Leslie in Missouri

Hey Leslie, How is Simon working out? Any takers on the house yet?
Springtime should be a good time for house hunters. Taria

Taria-

Nuttin' on the house sale. I'm getting ready for Paducah next month!
I'd just as soon it did not sell in March.... so it prolly will!

Simon! What a character! He was kept in a small wooden fenced-in
area---- completely sensory deprived, under-fed and with virtually no
human contact. He has fallen ferociously in love with me. He sleeps
cuddled tight up against me for most of the night. He wakes me every
morning by flopping on top of me and rolling- all 90 lbs. of him! Our
dog trainer says he's so infatuated with me that he wants my scent all
over him! (Susan, our dog trainer, refers to his silly ways as "getting
SIMONized"! LOL) We (dogs and I) heard some noises outside my bedroom
window late one night- Simon hopped on the bed, laid across my legs,
bared his teeth and growled low and mean deep in his throat. He was
ready to protect me with his life! He never finishes his food
completely- he "shares" the last bit with Barney and Missy- grateful for
them, too. To maintain my place as pack leader, I make him "sit" or
"down" before I love on him. So, now he'll rush into the room, drop
into a "down" and then bounce up and attack me with kisses. He's bright
and easy to train and silly as they come. He loves to be hugged- many
dogs don't like to be held down like that. I am continuously amazed
that he can have so much love and trust in humans after the way he was
treated "before".

Thanks for the opportunity to brag on my boy! I continue to hope your
Daisy will come around and be as wonderful as my latest
HairyFacedOne....

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies