polymer vs. paper clay

Old September 8th 03, 02:42 PM
Sjpolyclay

Default polymer vs. paper clay

hi, can someone pls. advice on this.
what is the difference between polymer and paper clay.
in what situation is it better to use one over the other .

pls. describe the situation and the advantages of one over another. links
would be much appreciated.

Wow, this sounds kinda like an essay question on an exam.

How about introducing yourself first, maybe telling us why you want to know?
We're conversational here.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old September 10th 03, 07:05 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Well, you can find at least a bit of that info on this page at my website:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm

(look under the sub-category called "Polymer and Other Types of Clay"
.... the sub-category called "Advantages of Polymer Type Clays" may have more,
but is primarily about polymer vs. earth clay)

HTH,

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

E-mail: (don't use AOL address)
Old September 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
Eni Oken

I've tried both, and the paper clay seems to give lumpier results than the
polymer clay. I like the texture of the polymer clay much better, but I
guess it's just a question of preference.

--
Eni
http://www.oken3d.com

what is the difference between polymer and paper clay.
in what situation is it better to use one over the other .

pls. describe the situation and the advantages of one over another. links
would be much appreciated.

thx in advance.

Old September 25th 03, 12:21 AM
Sherry Bailey

what is the difference between polymer and paper clay.
in what situation is it better to use one over the other .

pls. describe the situation and the advantages of one over another. links
would be much appreciated.

They are two chemically different beasts.

I don't work with paperclay much, but you can sort of think of it as
very refined papier mache with some kaolin added, I believe. It air
dries, it is white, it is smooth and paintable. It is water soluable.
I would use it with polymer clay only as an armature, if then.
(Actually, I guess I can't think of ANY good reason to combine the two
in one project.)

Polymer clay is a plastic, oven bakes, comes in colors, is smooth and
paintable (if you choose to do that) and is not precisely water proof,
but almost.

I suppose I might choose paperclay for work with other paper products,
some doll making (faces and hands, maybe) and small mostly kind of
flat things. I am not sure how well it would hold up for very three
dimensional stuff, maybe someone else has experience with that. If you
don't keep it sealed up tightly, it will dry out.

I choose polymer clay for the gorgeous color effects possible, and for
jewelry, decorative items for actual use, sculpture, dolls (all
parts), and so on and so on. I had polymer clay for more than ten
years and with some conditioning, it could still be used!
Old September 25th 03, 05:55 PM
Sjpolyclay

I would use it with polymer clay only as an armature, if then.
(Actually, I guess I can't think of ANY good reason to combine the two
in one project.)

it does make great armatures--I put it over wire and foil, then use PC over
that for things like mermaid tails, dragons...its bakable, and lighter.