Flower petals?

Old October 1st 04, 06:31 PM
*~candygrrl~*

Default Flower petals?

So I'm working on flower and scroll beads because I've had at least ten
people ask me to start making them and they are ~so~ much fun! Who
knew?! (well, apparently everyone but me) But I've noticed something
odd. I can't seem to make flowers with even numbers of petals (say 4
or 6, basically) They either turn out wonky and strange, or they just
look "off" to my eye. Three petals and five petals, great! They turn
out looking right almost every time.

Is it some subliminal thing? Do flowers normally have mostly odd
numbers of petals and that's why I'm thinking this way? (I didn't look
it up, so I don't know but it would be interesting to find out!)Do I
just prefer odd numbers? Anybody else who does flowers have an opinion
or experience with this? What's your ratio of odd to even petals?
Deux Candace
(who is thinking of crazy things today!)

Old October 1st 04, 06:36 PM
~Candace~

If you really, really want 4 petals, try visualizing the Red Cross in your
mind as you work.
Not that I'm a lampworker, but hey, it's worth a try. It's worked for me
when I draw my flowers

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

oups.com...

Old October 1st 04, 06:37 PM
starlia

I always make petals in odd numbers. It works for me.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

oups.com...

Old October 1st 04, 06:56 PM
Kandice Seeber

It did take me longer to master even numbered petals for some weird reason.

I totally know what you mean!
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 1st 04, 07:07 PM
susiegibson

I think they just tend to look more natural when they are odd numberred,
perhaps this is what your eye thinks and sees as well..... have you studied
the real flowers you want to recreate??? perhaps there will be your answer
to why they seem better to you in odd numbers..........

your beads sound great........

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

"*~candygrrl~*" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I'm working on flower and scroll beads because I've had at least ten
people ask me to start making them and they are ~so~ much fun! Who
knew?! (well, apparently everyone but me) But I've noticed something
odd. I can't seem to make flowers with even numbers of petals (say 4
or 6, basically) They either turn out wonky and strange, or they just
look "off" to my eye. Three petals and five petals, great! They turn
out looking right almost every time.

Is it some subliminal thing? Do flowers normally have mostly odd
numbers of petals and that's why I'm thinking this way? (I didn't look
it up, so I don't know but it would be interesting to find out!)Do I
just prefer odd numbers? Anybody else who does flowers have an opinion
or experience with this? What's your ratio of odd to even petals?
Deux Candace
(who is thinking of crazy things today!)

---

Old October 2nd 04, 04:51 PM
*~candygrrl~*

well, these are very simple and stylized flowers. I guess they look
most like daisies, but with less petals. I haven't really tried
realistic flowers yet... maybe soon!

I was pretty pleased with them when I got them out of the kiln today.
Not bad for my first attempt! I see that I will need a wrist rest
though if I keep up with scrolling

Old October 3rd 04, 01:30 AM
Kalera Stratton

6 is difficult because there are so many the dots tend to "push" one of
them out of the center. 4 is difficult because the curvature of the bead
distorts them as they melt, and the number 4 leads our brain to expect
symmetry so the distortion is much more noticeable.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay