Very OT - Fahrenheit 9/11

Old July 9th 04, 05:28 AM
Michael Curtis

You pay the bill. The phone is meant to be there for 'your' convenience, not
the caller's. It feels good to recognize that and not jump like Pavlov's
dog.
Voice mail is a good thing.
Diana

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
There is this notion, rampant among our society, that every human has
the right to MAKE A BELL RING in any other human's house, WHETHER THEY
ARE ACQUAINTED OR NOT, and that furthermore, the ringee has a social
obligation to trot over and pick up the phone, and offer the ringer some
kind of chitchat.

I find this whole process mind-boggling. ANY jackass in the country can
make a BELL RING in my living room, and I'm supposed to drool. I am even
subject to chastisement "You never answer your phone! It's rude to just
let it ring!" if I don't.

Nonono. It's MY house. I am not a servant, I do not answer the beckoning
of bells. If the phone rings and I'm available, relaxed and in the mood,
I'll answer it. Otherwise, the sheer inhuman wierdness of a plastic bone
with a voice coming out of one end will keep me far, far away.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old July 9th 04, 05:35 AM
Michael Curtis

Thats another good reason to avoid phones. I have met so many people online
with a phone avoidance. I realize not everyone has the same reasons, and its
interesting and enlightening to out myself then hear why its hated by
others. One woman had a hearing impairment and people tended to mumble.
I think I just like the subject of why people turn to, and find the
internet a more comfortable medium for communication. Its a fascinating
topic.
Diana, wondering if a cell phone with an ear bud might help when the phone
is a necessary evil for Sooz

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
And the phone hurts my neck. Something I consider always when talking on

the
(Satan's spawn!) phone.....Really good points, BTW, Diana dearest.

Im not trying to be argumentative, but phone avoidance is not weird, its
often a symptom of social phobia. Im going to guess that it isnt just

social
phobics who avoid using the phone but I have met (and have been) one of

many
I have met online who much prefer email to phone conversations. My theory

is
that while email takes away 2/3 of the communication which happens face

face its anonymity is more comfortable than using the phone, which
eliminates just the visual clues which help us *read* another person's
feelings. For me, this is a very uncomfortable situation.
Diana

~~
Sooz

Old July 9th 04, 06:29 AM
Carla

See, this is why a lot of those kinds of studies make me crazy. Look
around here and see people who might be isolated if they weren't on
line, but there's a study saying the computer isolates people.

So sometimes, it seems, whoever is conducting these types of surveys,
they're looking in the wrong places for their answers; or, in the case
of the internet, they're using "isolated" to mean no face-to-face
contact, since words on screen don't really count, or something. Feh.

Cheers,
Carla (happy to be "isolated" with so many fabulous folks)

Dr. Sooz wrote:

'cause I'm saying that in my case, computers are what prevent me from
being isolated.

-Kalera

Me too. I find it terribly daunting to get out and about much of the time. I
need the human contact computers give me to maintain any semblance of a social
life.
~~
Sooz

Old July 9th 04, 07:02 AM
Dr. Sooz

wondering if a cell phone with an ear bud might help when the phone
is a necessary evil for Sooz

It would. But it almost never happens that way....in other words, I almost
never have to be on the phone.
~~
Sooz
Old July 9th 04, 04:27 PM
Kalera Stratton

That sounds gorgeous!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]I can hardly wait to see it!

visualize a background of sterling silver, with stylized kelp and such
. . . and the silver cut out from behind the cab, so it stays clear -
so whatever color the person wears shows through..........

Old July 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Kalera Stratton

Yes, for people whose energy resources are limited for whatever reason,
going out and seeing people in person is a once-in-a-while thing. Having
a social group online is a wonderful way to open up the world.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old July 9th 04, 08:47 PM
Christina Peterson

The study I referred to was done by people who wanted to *promote* computer
use. That's one of the reasons I found their un-wished-for results to be
more credible.

Isolation is the term suggested by my psychologist, because the interaction
has at least 2/3 of the normal, non-verbal (and least often incorrect)
information. That flatness in the communication, and especially the huge
increase of total information/data, in words and pictures, causes
overstimulation/Depression.

Tina

ink.net...