Sort of On Topic

Old March 12th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Sort of On Topic

I found this website that shows antique corsets. They're mostly hand sewn
and several have beautiful surface embroidery and lace trimming.

Aren't you glad you weren't born then and never had to subject yourself to
that kind of torture?

Lucille

http://www.antiquecorsetgallery.com/previc.php

Old March 12th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Lucille" wrote in message
I found this website that shows antique corsets. They're mostly hand sewn
and several have beautiful surface embroidery and lace trimming.

Aren't you glad you weren't born then and never had to subject yourself to
that kind of torture?

Lucille

http://www.antiquecorsetgallery.com/previc.php

Here's the link to the home page: http://www.antiquecorsetgallery.com

When I went back in to look at it a little more closely I realized they have
a page of links that lead you to lots of wonderful websites that sell
antique garments.

Enjoy

Old March 12th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Lucille" wrote in message
I found this website that shows antique corsets. They're mostly hand sewn
and several have beautiful surface embroidery and lace trimming.

Aren't you glad you weren't born then and never had to subject yourself to
that kind of torture?

Lucille

http://www.antiquecorsetgallery.com/previc.php

Not half! I remember my mother having something not dissimilar to one of
those Edwardian ones, though! I remember the moans and groans when she
forced herself into it, on special (and rare) occasion!

Pat P

Old March 12th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

With loads of Perfumes handy
mirjam

Think of the intrepid Victorian lady travellers who travelled to
places like Africa and India, corsetted and swathed in layers of
clothing, just don't know how they did it!

Old March 13th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

And the smelling salts! Having used them once - the ammonia salts are
awful.

Cheryl

Old March 13th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

my mum always kept a bottle of Mackenzie Smelling Salts in her handbag ( I
fainted a lot as a child)
Jan
"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak ,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with
And the smelling salts! Having used them once - the ammonia salts are
awful.

My grandmother loved them! I wish I had her bottle now though. It
was a lovely jade green, round, about three inches high and the glass
stopper in it had a big crown that you grasped to open it.

I do have one little bottle, about an inch high and dark brown glass,
I picked it up in a junk shop as the label says Mackenzie Smelling
Salts - so I felt..........it had my name on it lol It says For the
relief of Symptoms of Catarrh, Cold in the Head, Hay Fever, Faintness,
Nervous Headaches. It came from Dr. Mackenzie's Laboratories, 83
Lewes Road, Brighton. More than you ever wanted to know lol

Old March 13th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I went to the Museum of Costume at The Assembly Rooms in Bath (UK) on Friday
and part of the display centred on corsets - there was even one for a
toddler !!!!! There was an 'interactive area' where you could try a corset
on as well .The visiting exhibition actually centred on Rudolph Nureyev and
his clothes , costumes and collections in and out of ballet - very beautiful
and interesting.
Jan
"Cozit/Liz" wrote in message
Of course it depends on the type of stays/corsets and how you wear them.

I'm *quite* comfortable in the stays that I made for use with 16th century
English clothing... and suspect the same would be so for the 17-18th
century American and English clothing.

Then again, I only lace tight enough to "hold" properly where it needs to,
and leave it loose enough to *breathe* at the waist... which is what I've
been told was *supposed* to happen. Women's vanity still shoves them into
too small jeans (which are far *more* uncomfortable)... and other types of
stiffened and tight clothing. At least there was a reason for the
stays/corsets/whatever the folks of that period were calling them.

Actually, to be honest, I'm *more* comfortable with my stays than I am
when I'm wearing a garment of the same time period that does not require
them. With tabs that go down over the tops of the hips, they also help
spread the weight of the skirts so that they don't *pull* on my back and
waist all day.

All that said... Those Victorian ones that are more extremely shaped
really *do* look painful, with the exaggerated bend in the back!

-Liz

Old March 13th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
Cozit/Liz ,in
[...]

I don't know if it was apocryphal but I have read babies were
delivered with the marks of the stays on them. I am not convinced
that when laced in by your maid, the day would be comfortable.

My merry widow, made by Warners I think, at least could be clipped up
by me but one always bought them on the small side lol Anyone else
wear those ? They seemed a necessity under the strapless evening
dresses of the late 50s.

I had one that I wore under my formal wedding gown in 1958.

When I think of it now I realize how hilarious it was because at that time I
weighed about 95 lbs. and had a 21 inch waistline. I guess I wore that
thing because everyone else did and it seemed like the right thing to do..

Lucille

Old March 13th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
"Lucille" ,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
. ..
Cozit/Liz ,in
[...]

We were ahead of our time under our wedding dresses - the only place I
see them now is sex shops lol

You're right and I never thought of that before because the ones in the
windows of the sex shops are usually black with red lace and mine was
virginal white with pink trimming.

Old March 13th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I found this website that shows antique corsets. They're mostly hand
sewn
and several have beautiful surface embroidery and lace trimming.

Aren't you glad you weren't born then and never had to subject yourself

that kind of torture?

Imagine having the leisure--and or the lady's maids--to have embroidered
underthings.
Dawne

Sort of off topic - yarn and Monica Ferris Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 December 14th 04 09:55 PM
on and off topic CNYstitcher Quilting 10 March 10th 04 06:14 PM
Good weekend (on topic sort of) John Gallagher Quilting 5 July 23rd 03 08:44 PM
Sort of OT, ad kinda - update on website, including Bead Notes Kandice Seeber Beads 25 July 17th 03 01:09 AM