Eyes

Old January 8th 15, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

Default Eyes

When I go to the eye doc's to get new glasses I always tell him/her
that I do needlepoint. I only do cross stitch but sometimes the doc
doesn't know what that is so I started saying needlepoint.

I wear progressive lense glasses and love them, everything is in
focus: near, far, and in-between.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 11:31:31 -0800 (PST), Danny Breidenbach
wrote:

At the ripe young age of 46, my eyesight is getting problematic. Hard to see the small stuff. If I take off my glasses, I can hold my work real close and see the holes BETTER than with my glasses; however, holding anything that close makes my eyes start to cross. My astigmatism just makes it harder. It may be time for bifocals or something.

I visit the optometrist tomorrow. Do any of you have words of wisdom -- things to ask for? Avoid? Tips?

--Danny

Old January 8th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

sharoncapps wrote:

I was like that at first but it wore off. I even was sick to my stomach
from them.
Sharon in MN

Well, Mom tried it for a month before she gave up, so it didn't wear off
for her. This was in the days before vision insurance, so she was
paying for the glasses herself, and wasn't going to toss an expensive
pair of bifocals if there was any way she could adjust.

I have enough problems on the stairs with my lack of depth perception;
I'm not going to make it worse with bifocals.

"Karen C" wrote in message

Danny Breidenbach wrote:

I visit the optometrist tomorrow. Do any of you have words of wisdom
-- things to ask for? Avoid? Tips?

You may want to pick up a pair of cheap reading glasses at the
drugstore first.

My mother had to return her bifocals because she never could learn to
walk with them. I tested that concept by putting small readers over
my regular glasses and walking through the house, with such disastrous
results that I wasn't even going to attempt risking my neck on the
stairs. I apparently inherited *something* from my mother. LOL. Now I
know, when I'm finally ready to pay real money for reading glasses,
that they have to be separate because I can't walk in bifocals.

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com
Finished 12/15/14 -- Tree Christmas ornament

WIP: MLI Gathering of Roses as birth sampler
Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
Old January 8th 15, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Gillian Murray wrote:

I tried that Nancy, but the boobs got in the way. Probably not a problem
that Danny would have.

LOL

This was the benefit of the stitchers lounge at HOXS -- various people
had bought various magnifiers, which were passed around for everyone to try.

The hang from the neck one produced much laughter. Didn't work for the
women with DDs because the boobs got in the way, so it was passed to me
with my AAs, and didn't work for me, either, because I had nothing for
it to rest on so it flopped down flat against my flat chest.

Old January 8th 15, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray[_2_]

On 1/7/2015 10:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 22:20:26 -0500, Gillian Murray
wrote:

I tried that Nancy, but the boobs got in the way. Probably not a problem
that Danny would have.

I have to wear custom-made bras, but never had any trouble with my
neck-hung magnifier. (Perhaps when they get big enough, the feet of
the magnifier can't see them any more?)

But it's been years since I took the neck-hung magnifier off its peg;
I have a pair of 3.5 dollar-store "readers" beside every sewing
machine, in the arm of the sofa, in my little bag of stuff, and in my
jeans pocket. (That last is a 3.0 folder for reading six-point
purple-on-navy ingredient labels.)

I put them on over my prescription glasses and they work just fine --
but folks who see me unexpectedly tend to giggle.

Do you remember Lucille?? That is what she did; the second pair were
perched at the end of her nose, and she could see very well.!

Old January 8th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 1/7/2015 5:28 PM, wrote:

It took a couple of days to adjust but they were fabulous. I guess
she gave me a prescription for short sightedness in one eye and far
sight in the other. Some people can't handle it but if your brain
overcomes it, they work like magic.

They're called monovision contacts. My coworker had them for years with
no problem and then she had lasik done the same way. I, OTOH, tried
them and my brain kept saying, "You have to see the same out of *both*
eyes!" Drove me nuts.

I had bifocal hard contacts for many years. I wanted to have lasik done
but I have the beginnings of cataracts and they suggested I wait until
cataract surgery is necessary, because then insurance would pay the
$3-4000. So now I'm back to contacts. This time I switched to soft,
extended wear lenses because they're cheaper than hard lenses now. I
can't get bifocal ones, so am stuck with distant vision lenses and wear
readers for up-close. All my efforts at getting rid of contacts *and*
glasses were for naught.

So, Danny, what was the outcome of your checkup (getting back to the
original topic!)?

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old January 15th 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

The eye doctor recommended progressive lenses (no-line bifocals). He said it's likely like I'll feel back to normal with those. He also said I'm in a bit of a Catch 22: magnifiers don't play nicely with progressive lenses, but single-vision lenses will be a problem for me if I want to watch TV while I stitch or use the glasses for any other purpose. And having a separate pair just for stitching just doesn't hold any appeal to me, cost aside.

I'm supposed to get the new specs pretty soon -- definitely not a Lenscrafters 1-hour quickie!
Old January 16th 15, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sharoncapps

I tried those and couldn't use them. I could never get used to not being
able to see out of the sides of the glasses. I always keep my chart on the
right arm of my chair and I couldn't see it. I could only see what was
right in front of my eyes. It probably was just me but I never did adjust
to them.
Sharon in MN

Old January 16th 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

Good to know, and I love, love, LOVE that you acknowledge that N = 1. If only more people paid attention to that! :-)

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 4:34:01 AM UTC-6, Sara wrote:

N=1, but I have used Mag-Eyes with my progressive bifocals for years
without any trouble.

Sara

Old January 16th 15, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

My peripheral vision is for sucks already, and I constantly have to put my chart right in front of my nose. My chart goes from the left arm of my chair, into my hand to be held up and squinted at, then into my lap, then back into my hand to be squinted at, then to the right arm of my chair, then my hand. Rinse. Repeat. I try to memorize what the next 2 or 3 stitches are.

But it's fun.

I'll give my new specs a good trial period before reporting back on my opinion.

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:42:31 AM UTC-6, sharoncapps wrote:
I tried those and couldn't use them. I could never get used to not being
able to see out of the sides of the glasses. I always keep my chart on the
right arm of my chair and I couldn't see it. I could only see what was
right in front of my eyes. It probably was just me but I never did adjust
to them.
Sharon in MN

The eyes have it... Kate XXXXXX Quilting 15 September 5th 11 12:28 PM
Mag eyes and such Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 23rd 07 02:29 PM
Up to my eyes maryd Quilting 0 December 17th 04 09:14 PM
Eyes need help MoragP Quilting 2 September 22nd 04 10:17 PM
Vs: OT-My eyes and me Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 2 August 20th 03 02:55 AM