OT Slow cooker (crock pot) recipes

Old September 9th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default OT Slow cooker (crock pot) recipes

I have a slow cooker / crock pot and should and would like to use it
more. My problem is that the gravy is always very thin when I do meaty
casseroles and such and then I have to mess about thickening it which
seems to negate the idea of an easy one pot meal.

Do any of you have a favourite foolproof recipe that give a good sauce?

Thanks

Lizzy
Old September 9th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On Sep 9, 7:20*pm, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
I have a slow cooker / crock pot and should and would like to use it
more. *My problem is that the gravy is always very thin when I do meaty
casseroles and such and then I have to mess about thickening it which
seems to negate the idea of an easy one pot meal.

Do any of you have a favourite foolproof recipe that give a good sauce?

Thanks

Lizzy

When I do something with chunks of meat, I toss the meat in seasoned
flour, then brown on the stove before putting in the slow cooker. This
adds colour and enough flour to thicken the sauce. But then that is
using another pot too - although it is at the beginning.

Other than that I thicken with maizena, which doesn't lump and pretty
much just stirs in and then needs to simmer. Works for me. YMMV.

Hanne in DK
Old September 9th 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Want a secret weapon? You can put a cup of flour ( or 4 or 5) in a heavy
skillet and bake it at 400° stirring about every 15 minutes until it's about
the color of an old penny. Takes about an hour. Keep the browned flour in a
lidded jar in the refrigerator.
When you need to thicken whatever's in the crockpot, you just stir in
about ¼ cup of water with a couple of tablespoons of the browned flour. It
will both give your gravy good color and thicken.
I learned to bake flour when I was needing to make gumbo without it
being an all-day long production. Having browned flour ready to use saves a
heap of time. Polly

Old September 9th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Thanks for letting us know about browning flour to have it ready to thicken
up the meat gravy in a crock pot. I reckon it would also work in a pot
roast. Now, how about sharing a good gumbo recipe?
Barbara in SC

Old September 10th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Greek Stew

Lightly spray crock pot

Diced Stewed Tomatoes - 2 Cans
Jar Artichoke Hearts - 1 small 8oz with juice
Kalamata Olives - 1 pint container with juice (15 to 20 pitted)
Chicken Breasts - 4 (We like them sliced up some)

Pour all into the slow cooker and mix slightly.
Six (6) hours on Medium or Eight (8) hours on Low

When done prepare one box of Couscous. Takes about 5 minutes. Put some in
a bowl/plate, spoon and ladle on chicken and sauce and stuff, and sprinkle
with Feta cheese.

We like to have some rough bread and butter with it.

Steven
Alaska

Old September 10th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Let me make you a gumbo expert. There is a precious book - The Little Gumbo
Book with 27 gumbo recipes + all sorts of great guidance. There are copies
available at www.abebooks.com for $ 1.00 plus shipping. There's even a
recipe for crock pot gumbo - but it looks lethal. Calls for Rotel tomatoes
but I'm thinking they make a mild version. Polly ( not affiliated but
willing)

Old September 10th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I find that even when I brown it first with flour it still isn't thick
enough for me, in fact its thinner aqt the end than when I started,
which is a bit of a mystery.

I find the quickest and easiest way is to use McDougalls instant
thickening granules or Tesco instant veg. gravy granules, (I get both
from Tesco). You just stir a spoonful or so into the casserole - no need
to add it to water first, so doesn't cool the gravy at all, In a couple
of minutes - thick gravy. DH went to cookery classes years ago and this
is how they thickened things there.

If I've used traditional flour/water mix at the end I've just popped the
crock part of the cooker in the microwave for a minute or so to bring it
back up to gravy cooking temperature.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old September 10th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That works. We always have used cornstarch instead
of flour. Easier to get a less lumpy result.
Taria

posts are slow spinninglilac Yarn 24 January 14th 06 03:31 PM
OT slow newsreader.. can anyone help? Allison Quilting 10 July 15th 05 05:30 PM
Crock-Pot Dyeing?? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 7 January 13th 04 05:59 PM
using a crock pot instead of a kiln? Pam Beads 12 October 6th 03 01:59 AM
Slow vs Fast Doug Porter Pottery 3 September 13th 03 01:08 AM