Baker's Dozen!

Old February 18th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Baker's Dozen!

Sewing machine no 13 came home today! Another Elna Lotus: a TSP
this time. Yes there will be pix when I do a site update.

Yes, I also bought fabric - ONE FQ for James!

I'm tired after tramping round Tunbridge Wells for 5 hours shopping for
James (trousers and PJ's) and lugging this handy little machine back to
the car via the HMV store so he could spend some of his HMV and
Waterstones tokens on music and a video.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 18th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:
Sewing machine no 13 came home today! Another Elna Lotus: a TSP
this time. Yes there will be pix when I do a site update.

Yes, I also bought fabric - ONE FQ for James!

I'm tired after tramping round Tunbridge Wells for 5 hours shopping for
James (trousers and PJ's) and lugging this handy little machine back to
the car via the HMV store so he could spend some of his HMV and
Waterstones tokens on music and a video.

Where are you going to fit them all! :-)

My new overlocker arrived, finally got around to completely
setting it up this morning... I love it!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old February 18th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

IMS wrote:
Oh I would love to even *see* an Elna lotus in person.

Ah, well... Until you do, you can look at the pix! I shall take some
today and get them into the sewing gallery.

But I must say....where *are* you going to put all these!!??

So far not a problem. The treadle stands under the window on the
landing, folded into ots table. The two hand cranks live under it, one
at each side. I put one up on the treadle table to use.

Lily usually sits on the main bench in the sewing room. There is room
for the Viscount and the New Home under it. The 99K sits under the
serger bench and will have the new Lotus on it for storage (flat top case).

The FW sits on the floor between a set of bins and a set of rolling
baskets, with the older Lotus on top.

Serge the serger sits on the serger bench, and the Toyota serger usually
lives in the carrying case on the old sewing box. The Cub 8 (broken
machine) lives out of the way in the loft at the moment.

The New home is to go. It's 'portable' only up to a point: very heavy -
at least as heavy as the 99k! - and its stitches are on cams. I does
straight stitch at the left hand side of the hole only, and the blind
hem stitch is the wrong way round, so you have to shove the garment
through the hole! This is the way it was designed! It's a good machine
with many years wear in it, but of no use to me. Unfortunately it has
no trade-in value and if I *did* manage to trade it in, they would skip
it as it's not saleable (unlike a 400 series Singer with the same cam
arrangement and much more attractive deco stitches, and better household
stitches!). I shall hand it back to its owner for Freecycling, or give
it to a student.

If I manage to get a part for the Cub 8, it will come down and sit where
the NH is now.

I may part-exchange the dying serger for a new one, or get a gently used
905 and an 1100D or similar, and pass the little Toyota on to Big Sis.
I could swap that for her present Husqvarna (she's looking to upgrade),
bringing me back up to 13. Then I have plans to find a nice Rocketeer,
and pass the Viscount on to a loving home. And if I ever get a Lotus
Stella Air Electronic, that will complete the set!

LOL!

Dear Alan is cowering at the thought! I keep telling him the little
machines are really good for teaching kids, and so far he has agreed
that they are far handier for carting about!
Old February 18th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

melinda wrote:

Where are you going to fit them all! :-)

See answer to Beverly!

My new overlocker arrived, finally got around to completely
setting it up this morning... I love it!

Yee Haw! Love mine too - and hope I don't need a new one for a few
months yet! But if I land the latest two jobs that inquired, then at
least I should be able to pay for one!

Old February 18th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

melinda wrote:

Where are you going to fit them all! :-)

Brain slippage - I meant Irene!

Old February 18th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A person after my own heart! Number 15 (Aurora 440QEE) should be
arriving on Tuesday, but I will be putting 2 of my newer machines on
ebay sometime this week to help pay for it.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old February 18th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pictures of the 'new' Elna are now up. Look in the sewing machine
gallery, under 'Resources'. The page has been revamped.
Old February 18th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jan wrote:

I love that Spinning Jenny!! I don't think I've ever seen decals like
that! It's gorgeous!!

Not my oldest machine, but the one I have owned the longest! Still
a delight to work on. The decals were fairly common on that model built
in the UK. Mine has them in excellent condition, when you consider the
age of the machine and the state of the case! It was stored in a damp
cellar in Durham for untold years, which is when the base lost the
veneer. It's a marvel the decals were unharmed. It was made in 1923.