??? for used wax disks' reuse

Old February 28th 05, 04:56 PM
Jeanine3

Default ??? for used wax disks' reuse

I have one of those bee's wax disks which come inside a hard plastic
container with three grooves on top and bottom where you can slide your
thread through to wax it. This was my first one and before I toss it, I
have a question. I am no longer able to access the wax through the
grooves as there are now grooves through the wax all around the
circumference of the wax disk inside. It seems a shame to just throw it
away as there is still a lot of wax left. Is there any way of warming it
without melting it so that it will be useful for a little while longer?
Does melting the wax alter it's protective capabilities? I thought maybe
I should just carry it around in my hand for awhile and try to close all
those grooves.
Does this make sense to anyone?
Opinions are appreciated.

Jeanine in Canada (whose goldwork course is DONE!!!!!)
Old February 28th 05, 05:36 PM
Ellen Winnie

In article f3IUd.528068$6l.286345@pd7tw2no,
Jeanine3 wrote:

I have one of those bee's wax disks which come inside a hard plastic
container with three grooves on top and bottom where you can slide your
thread through to wax it. This was my first one and before I toss it, I
have a question. I am no longer able to access the wax through the
grooves as there are now grooves through the wax all around the
circumference of the wax disk inside. It seems a shame to just throw it
away as there is still a lot of wax left. Is there any way of warming it
without melting it so that it will be useful for a little while longer?
Does melting the wax alter it's protective capabilities? I thought maybe
I should just carry it around in my hand for awhile and try to close all
those grooves.
Does this make sense to anyone?
Opinions are appreciated.

Jeanine in Canada (whose goldwork course is DONE!!!!!)

I have a couple of beeswax lumps that I use. They are pretty old, so do
not have cases. When not in use, I keep them in zippys.

To refresh the wax, put it in a small heat-proof container, the size
you want the finished piece to be. I use a very small bowl - the kind
that comes in those graduated sets of 10 or 11. Then set the container
in hot water. I put mine in a shallow pan and simmer it on the stove,
watching it every second until it melts.

Important to remember:

1. Never put the container with any kind of wax over direct heat - it
will burn.

2. When you put the water bath over direct heat - never, never leave it
- the wax can/will burn and then you have burning wax Plus boiling water.

3. You can use the microwave, but regulating the temperature can be
tricky. I don't recommend it.

Let it cool completely. Then do the jello-mold thing to release it.

Good as new!

Hope this helps.

Ellen

--
-------------------------------------
Ellen Winnie n7pyk-at-amsat.org
Old March 1st 05, 05:17 AM
Jeanine3

Ellen, Thanks for the tips!
My little sister set the stove on fire when I was 17 and "watching her"
while my parents were away - so I'll never forget tip number one - LOL!
I wonder if I could melt it into a little floating aluminum tart
container and then just peel that back? Hmmm.

Jeanine in Canada
p.s. what is the jello mold thing - just incase...

Old March 1st 05, 05:21 AM
Jeanine3

The problem with taking it out of the plastic is that there are so many
grooves around the edge that great flakes of wax keep falling out all over.
Maybe I can melt it into a cube or something more manageable.
Thanks!
Jeanine in Canada

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

Could you just remove the plastic ? I have only had a square of
solid beeswax and have never seen ones such as you describe, so if you
can remove the plastic covering, you should be good to go.

where can I get filigree disks? Jan G Beads 15 February 10th 05 11:40 PM
cracks in the fused Spectrum sheets Davis Glass 0 December 8th 04 07:24 AM
AD- New beads & fused work- dpowersglassworks dpowersglassworks Beads 11 November 22nd 04 11:23 PM
Embroidery design disks kt Sewing 0 December 20th 03 09:39 PM
AD: For those teapot lovers out there & fused glass C Ryman Beads 0 September 11th 03 12:04 AM