OT Date Bars, aka Matrimonial Cake

Old July 23rd 03, 03:59 PM
Dawne Peterson

Default OT Date Bars, aka Matrimonial Cake

Okay, since it was asked for, here is a recipe for "date bars". However,
here in Western Canada, this is called Matrimonial Cake. No one knows
exactly why, although there is lots of folk etymology. The most frequent
explanation has to do with a sweet part in the middle of a rough part (sort
of "for better for worse", but with the implication that "worse" is more
plentiful). They were very popular in the West in the 1930s, when fresh
fruit was just not available. They are a staple at every tea, and every
bake sale. Really easy, actually.
Matrimonial Cake
1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 c. rolled oats (people use everything from organic
long cooking, if you learned this in the 60s, to instant. Quick cooking is
a nice compromise) , 1 c. packed brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4
tsp. salt, 3/4 c. butter, at room temperature (my mother uses margarine,
but go for the butter).
Combine everything but the butter in a mixing bowl,. Work in the butter,
by hand or with a pastry blender, until the whole thing is crumbly. Pat
half of this into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan(depending
on how thick you like them. Thicker is better, I think.)
Filling: 2 c. chopped pitted dates (the solid block of dates that lives in
the baking aisle works just fine--no need for the beautiful Medjool ones
from the produce section), 1/2 c sugar (older recipes use more, but dates
are sweet enough), 1 tsp lemon juice, 3/4 c. boiling water
In a saucepan, cook all of these ingredients over medium heat until the
dates are soft. Stir often. This takes about 15 minutes. (cooks differ
on how smooth the filling should be--some cook it to a jam-like smoothness,
some like a more organic lumpy filling with identifiable date bits.) Cool
the filling a bit.
Pour the filling over the crust, and sprinkle with the remaining oat
mixture, patting it down a bit so everything sticks together. Bake it at
350F for about 30 minutes, or until it is nicely golden.
People also make this with raisins, or figs, or, at Christmas, with minceme
at.
Dawne

Old July 23rd 03, 09:10 PM
Gillian Murray

Sounds absolutely yummy; I LOVE dates! It is already in my recipe folder.

Thanks, Dawne

Gillian

Old July 24th 03, 11:46 AM
Joyce in RSA

Joan, if your dates are too hard, just put them in the microwave for half a
minute - they'll soften up beautifully.

Joyce in RSA.

"Joan Erickson" wrote in message
Dawne Peterson wrote:

Okay, since it was asked for, here is a recipe for "date bars".

Thanks, Dawne! I've been looking for a recipe for these (not very
hard, mind you!) for years since I *love* these bars. I also have some
ancient (read: hard) dates that would work perfectly! I think I might
try cooking them before pitting, since they're almost too hard to chop
up!!!

--
Joan

THE SUGARSHACK - ONLINE - CAKE DECORATING & SUGARCRAFT SUPPLIES bellasucre Marketplace 0 January 13th 05 05:36 PM
Styrofoam cake?? S H General Crafting 0 November 11th 04 10:30 PM
Parallel Bars, Tight Rope Youssef Eldakar Knots 3 October 7th 04 10:48 PM
All Natural Body Bars, Body Cream, Bath Oils, Healing Oils, Lip Balm, Baby Creams, Body Bars and Wedding Shower Favors The Lavender Rose Marketplace 0 July 6th 04 12:53 AM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM