framing artwork on cloth

Old January 29th 04, 09:01 PM
ted

Default framing artwork on cloth

I'm a lurker. I figure most of you must have framed your artwork. I
was wondering if you use glass while framing your artwork or just
frame without any glass on the top. I was talking to the guy at Hobby
Lobby and he said that when we're framing artwork on cloth we don't
need to use glass.

Which one you prefer, with or without glass?
If you used glass, is there a specific type you prefer?

Thanks.
Old January 29th 04, 09:40 PM
F.James Cripwell

ted ) writes:
I'm a lurker. I figure most of you must have framed your artwork. I
was wondering if you use glass while framing your artwork or just
frame without any glass on the top. I was talking to the guy at Hobby
Lobby and he said that when we're framing artwork on cloth we don't
need to use glass.

Which one you prefer, with or without glass?
If you used glass, is there a specific type you prefer?

Thanks.

This has, of course, been discussed many times. I will just speak
personally. I cover all my pieces with non-glare glass. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old January 29th 04, 09:43 PM
SEL

I frame with glass, ensuring that there are spacers between the glass and
the fabric.

I'm not fussy on which type of glass. For more impressive pieces that I
don't mind spending money on, I'll go for UV protected glass - but it can be
$$$$. Alot of my pieces have standard glass, which is much less expensive -
but has more of a glare. Since none of my pieces go in direct sunlight, it
doesn't tend to be an issue. I specifically don't put them in direct
sunlight because of the awesome damage it can create. I learned that from
experience.

There are lots of valid arguements for and against framing with glass. My
choice was to protect my pieces from dust and pollution, and greasy fingers
touching them The few pieces I have without glass do get touched alot by
visitors who love the feel of stitches. But I only have to wash my walls,
or the glass on my existing pieces to realise how much dust and dirt is in
the air. Particularly since I recently moved into an "under construction"
subdivision.

Good luck !

Shannon L.
..

Old January 29th 04, 10:37 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

While I respect (highly) the use of the term "artwork", it confused me,
Especially the sentence: " . . . when we're framing artwork on cloth .
.. ." and I was picturing a painted canvas on top of cloth. Sorry. My
mind tends to be literal at times.

Depending upon the preciousness of the needlework being framed (do you
want it to last for generations), the amount of air pollution in your
environment (dust, pet dander, pet hairs, et al), that will determine
whether or not you should use glass. Depending upon lighting conditions
and your personal preference, you will either choose normal or non-glare
glass. The latter can dull colors, but in high "light" areas will make
it easier to actually view the piece.

If the piece is textural and you invite "touching", then obviously it
won't last for generations, but will be satisfying for you sans glass.

For longevity, if you use glass, make certain that the needlework
doesn't touch it. Numerous mats, or the use of spacers is necessary.

If you're talking about types of artwork other than needlework, I would
imagine the same rules apply: whatever suits your personal environment,
personal tastes, personal attitudes.

Dianne

Old January 30th 04, 06:51 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

If you live in a rather humid place , take care that there some way to
let the humidity out, [as it surely sips in ,] , in restoring works
thaere are too many works were the glass caused humidity to stay in
and eventually harm the works.
mirjam

Old January 30th 04, 04:41 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Maybe you should use having cloth on your walls as an Anti smoking
Device ,,, a Colleague of mine tried for years to make her husband
stop smoking ,,,, on=nce she hung up her Woven tapstries he agreed to
stop ,,,
mirjam
Old January 30th 04, 04:57 PM
Brenda Lewis

I want to piggyback on this. To the people who frame needlework under
glass: Do you ever finish projects as bellpulls, pillows, needlerolls,
etc.? If so, how do you choose which are put under glass and which are
kept in a touchable form?

ted wrote:
I'm a lurker. I figure most of you must have framed your artwork. I
was wondering if you use glass while framing your artwork or just
frame without any glass on the top. I was talking to the guy at Hobby
Lobby and he said that when we're framing artwork on cloth we don't
need to use glass.

Which one you prefer, with or without glass?
If you used glass, is there a specific type you prefer?

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 30th 04, 05:33 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Brenda Lewis wrote:
I want to piggyback on this. To the people who frame needlework under
glass: Do you ever finish projects as bellpulls, pillows, needlerolls,
etc.? If so, how do you choose which are put under glass and which are
kept in a touchable form?

For me, that's easy to answer. The really pretty ones that took forever
and were so difficult I'd probably never do again: Go in pristine
storage to pull out and tell myself, "Yes, you CAN do this!"

Others that take a lot of time but I know I could do it again if I had
the energy go under glass if I need something on the wall. Otherwise,
storage. Or as gifts.

The fast ones that don't take so much time get used (bread covers,
needlecases, that sort of thing).

So much of what I do is experimental . . . well, let's just say my
storage drawers are full.

Dianne