Best place to shop my wares?

Old July 30th 05, 05:12 PM
GemsMan

Default Best place to shop my wares?

Hi Folks,

I'm an amateur Jeweler/Stone Setter & have amassed a good amount of
Genuine Gemstone Jewelry pieces. I sell some locally but wondering
where is the best place or method to sell my inventory via the net
without setting up a website. Is there a real busy/active messageboard
or existing site,etc. Any help/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

John Newman

Old August 3rd 05, 08:50 AM
Ted Frater

GemsMan wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm an amateur Jeweler/Stone Setter & have amassed a good amount of
Genuine Gemstone Jewelry pieces. I sell some locally but wondering
where is the best place or method to sell my inventory via the net
without setting up a website. Is there a real busy/active messageboard
or existing site,etc. Any help/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

John Newman

Hi John,
Your request for help rings a bell with me.
Altho I wasnt planning to be an amateur in this craft , having
chosen to do it full time for my living,
I too was in your somewhat uncertain position as what to do next.
So for the benefit of those who think I dont or havnt done much based on
my web site, heres how I started.
I tried to sell locally my small little enamel plaques . a friend had
a stall at the London Portobello market on Satrurdays, some 120 miles away.
He offered me a card table area of 3ft by 3ft on the end of his stall.
I put out my wares and by the end of the day had taken over $100.00
!!That was in 1968 and a lot of money then. Especially as I couild go
there and back for $10.00 worth of diesel fuel.
After a happy trip home to Dorset that evening, I planned to repeat the
trip to London the next Saturday, making lots of stock during the week.
that day I took $150.00.
I decided that this was the way to go.
Sell direct to the customer, retail, no wholesaling to shops on sale
or return.
Not only is it the best way to go financially, but its fun, most
satisfying to deal with ones own customers. Especially when they are
standing in line to buy aand pay.
they tell their friends and it just grows.
Ive done this ever since.
Albeit on a much larger scale.
With a full scale exhibition unit and a demonstration unit included.
This became the center of my work where I actually made the items
plaques and medals for the exhibition at the exhibition. this resulted
in major comissions throughout Europe all sponsered by major national
Museums..

So I would advise you to do just the same, You will be surprised where
it will take you.
the experience will be invaluable to you, you get to make what the
public want, you will get comissions and also enquiries from shops.
These you need to be careful of.
Dont agree to any deals unless its at least half the money up front.
Why work twice as hard for the same and maybe wait to get paid?
No, The trade buyer is best to be avoided at this stage.
Also the haggler who makes you an offer thats usually half what your asking.
I usually suggest that they go and have acup of coffee and think about
it . youll sell that item in the mean time to the next person to come along.
this way the buck stops with you, what you earn is what your worth.
Its the best training groung you can have.
Just be yourself. It will work for you.

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on.