beginner

Old April 26th 04, 03:47 PM
nikki

Default beginner

I would like to start making my own jewellery as a hobbie. Does anyone
know how i would go about getting started.
Old April 27th 04, 01:51 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well, that's a very broad question as I'm sure you realize. My first
inclination is to advise you to find a local Gem & Mineral Club or Craft
Society. Most larger communities will have one. See if classes are
available or if they have individuals that can instruct you. 'Continuing
education' ,junior colleges,etc. may have some introductory course
available as well. A copy of Lapidary Journal (from a newstand or
bookstore periodical shelf) will also have video tape instruction
materials, books, and beginner kits for sale throughout the mag. and in
classified ads in the back. There are also some on-line sources for
education, kits, tutorials. There are also seminars at places like
William Holland and Wildacres conducted by established organizations.
Many true schools like New Approach also. If possible try to visit a Gem
& Mineral show - again the LJ will have a schedule in the back.

Personally, I think wire/wrapping is the most accessible beginners
jewelry hobby activity. And there are lots of videos and books
pertaining to it.

I'm sure others here will have some good suggestions too.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old May 6th 04, 03:34 PM
Janette G

Hi Nocola

I would also be interested in making jewellery, particularly broaches
and scarf rings, coould you help.

Thanks

. ..

Old May 8th 04, 02:07 AM
Andrew Werby

[Making jewelry can be simple or complex, cheap or expensive, quick or very
slow. There's no other craft that gets into as many materials and processes.
Many people start out by stringing beads, and then want to make their own
clasps, or special pendants. Others come from a painting or sculpture
background, and want to translate their ideas to a smaller scale. Some start
by cutting stones, and then want to be able to make their own settings. Some
people just get a lot of material and then want to turn it into money as
efficiently as possible. If you gave more details on where you're coming
from and what you have in mind to make, you might get more responses. It's
possible to figure out some of the techniques involved by reading about
them, and trying them at home, but it's usually better to jump-start the
process by taking a class, where a range of tools and materials are at hand,
as well as people who know how to use them correctly.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

"Janette G" wrote in message
Hi Nocola

I would also be interested in making jewellery, particularly broaches
and scarf rings, coould you help.

Thanks

. ..

Old May 16th 04, 04:21 AM
Rose

[...]

"Janette G" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Nocola

I would also be interested in making jewellery, particularly broaches
and scarf rings, coould you help.

Thanks

(nikki) wrote in message
. ..
I would like to start making my own jewellery as a hobbie. Does anyone
know how i would go about getting started.

Interestingly enough I live right near a art school and designing jewelery is
one of the classes that they do have. A lot of designers are now using 3D
software to design their jewelery and then taking the render to have the actual
pieces made.

If you're starting from scratch you may be able to find some online sites that
offer tutorials about how to make jewelery - in fact I'm sure that you'll be
able to find some. If you want to get started selling your jewelery as a
business its just like going into any other kind of business. I tell my
clients to start a folder and name it your business or the kind of career you
want and one of the first things that should go in it is a business plan.
Specifically to you I would advise starting out on Ebay. Just take a look at
the site and see the different kinds of jewelery that people are selling that
they have made theirselves. I have had a chance to read a few message boards
on Ebay and people are selling their jewelery and making a living at it.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

BEGINNER [email protected] Glass 2 May 23rd 04 03:54 AM
looking for beginner patterns bill harrison Carving 0 January 24th 04 05:32 AM
tools for a beginner? lucky1 Carving 5 December 16th 03 02:02 AM
Beginner Tool List Skip Summer Glass 3 October 29th 03 10:32 PM
AD- Kiln-formed Jewelry - Beginner - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Glass 0 September 24th 03 03:31 PM