Changing tastes - natural gems vs. dyed

Old September 14th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

Default Changing tastes - natural gems vs. dyed

I used to be really snobby about the semiprecious beads I used. I
wouldn't use any that were dyed or irridated or stabilized or whatever
it is they do to them. Then, they came out with those amazing colors in
"Jade" - aqua, purple, lavender, fuschia, orange, which are really
glass. Gem dealers say that they are dyed white jade, but the prices
are too low to be real jade (maybe serpentine?). But, the colors fill
a place in the spectrum which was lacking before, so I'm designing with
them and being very honest about what they are. I also like the stuff
which gem dealers are passing off as "bamboo coral", which is really
dyed bamboo since there is no such thing as "bamboo coral." It's hard
to find a true red in natural gems.
After I explained all this to one of my customers, she said, "If they
are beautiful, I don't care what they are." How does everyone feel
about this? Do you use these or not?

Patti
www.pattiwhiteley.com

Old September 14th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
m3rma1d

Patti wrote:

I also like the stuff
which gem dealers are passing off as "bamboo coral", which is really
dyed bamboo since there is no such thing as "bamboo coral."

Wrong, there actually is such a thing as bamboo coral...
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...l14/jul14.html

It should be known that beads made from coral are actually made from already
dead coral--it's all part of the reef-cycle--corals die off at the base and
new growth starts shooting off from parts of them (that's the short simple
quick explanation, anyhoo)

Sorry, I'm a bit of a reef-freak (as in, I not only like coral beads, but I
also keep live corals in a big tank right here in my living room!--Of course
they are non-bead-related, tho... Just sayin'!)

:-)

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.

Old September 14th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Patti -- I was taught to be a bead snob by those who came before me --
to distain India lampwork and dyed beads.

However, many stone beads are treated and always were. Turquoise often
has to be stabilized. They put so much crap on or in it that, if
cooked, it might turn out to be a cake. LOL. Many are dyed, many are
nuked (irradiated) and so on. I give up.

The brown jade I love so much is often dyed and once came off on my new
white blouse.

Such is life!!!

Becki

Old September 14th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Karen Sherwood

Patti wondered:

After I explained all this to one of my customers, she said, "If they

are beautiful, I don't care what they are." How does everyone feel
about this? Do you use these or not?

Heck yeah, I use them! I'm in it for color, shape and texture, not
purity of the source. My only big requirement is that whatever dyes are
used are permanent and stable....I don't want purple or red staining a
buyer's (or my own) neck or wrist.

I do think it's important to describe items and accurately as possible,
though. For example, I'm pleased that bamboo coral isn't being harvested
out of coral beds, and I try to be clear about its provenance so others
are at ease, too.

KarenS
Old September 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Karen Sherwood

Becki reported:

The brown jade I love so much is often dyed and once came off on my new

white blouse.

Such is life!!!

I soak any suspicious beads in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution, rinse and
"tumble" with paper towels, and let them air dry. I figure the mild acid
should remove any possible excess dye, with some help from the paper
toweling.

KarenS
Old September 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Patti wrote:

After I explained all this to one of my customers, she said, "If they
are beautiful, I don't care what they are." How does everyone feel
about this? Do you use these or not?

Patti
www.pattiwhiteley.com

I for one love all of the "candy" jades, and yes, I use them. When it
comes to dyed gems, well, yeah I prefer natural. But if there's a
strand of dyed or treated beads that are beautiful, then I don't mind,
as long as the seller is honest about what they are (assuming that the
sellers themselves know).

-Amber.

Old September 15th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

I used to never use plastic/acrylic/lucite beads, only glass, but now, if
the beads are good quality, I find that the light weight actually enhances
my designs (since I have neck problems, I can't wear too much weight). It is
important to be accurate in describing materials used - but most customers
really don't care what it's made of, as long as it looks and wears well.

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
Patti wondered:

Old September 15th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

proteinaceous gorgonin
Doesn't that sound like a great name for a bead? LOLOLOLOL
Or how about this? Paragorgia arborea

Old September 15th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Vibrant Jewels wrote:
I used to never use plastic/acrylic/lucite beads,

Karleen -- I feel this is a very important point. I am still a bead
snob when it comes to plastic vs. anything else -- yet plastic beads,
especially flowers and lots of plastic shapes in fact, have always been
an important component of high-end costume jewelry. Which I love to
distraction. You can only hang so much weight around your neck before
it becomes a problem. Ask anyone who has long hair (not me as I would
not know, LOL).

There are GORGEOUS vintage plastic flowers being sold for lots of money
right now. Yet every time I see one of them in a finished piece, I
cringe.

Becki

Old September 17th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kandice Seeber

Yep, I have a love/hate thing for plastic, too. But the lucite flowers are
soooo freaking pretty.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net