need help on gauge

Old November 8th 03, 08:44 PM
BDS2pds

How do I go about doing that Sonya? Here is the gauge again
first they gave me no needle number so that is odd--is 9 usual for gauge?

Anyway: I have oiled wool that is 16st/23 rows to the 4 inches on 9

The new pattern I was trying to use was 12 st/20 rows to the 4 inches
supposedly on 9 but not verified. The reason i say this is that I told them my
gauge and asked what the pattern had that was coming.
Old November 9th 03, 02:04 AM
Sonya Cirillo

I'll give you some 'examples' it really depends on the style of the item
you are making, if there is a ton of shaping - you will be almost
redesigning the pattern yourself.

OK, say its a sweater, knitted from the bottom up, and the amount of
ease they are allowing is just right (ie. nothing needs to be changed
but the fact that your yarn is a little thinner) - so they wish you to
cast on 52 sts, rib in P1, K1 ribbing for 3" and then evenly add 3
stitches across the row in preparation of knitting the body. . . you
would need instead cast on 68 sts and rib for the 3" and then evenly add
4 more sts to have a garment of the same size/ease. . .

Places you would need to look out for:

decreasing - like for the underarm - the pattern might say decrease 3 at
beg of next two rows - I'd decrease 4 instead. . .

for long gradual decreases, like sleeves, you'd most likely need to
decrease for a longer time (remember it takes more rows to 'equal' the
pattern). . . this is the part that can be a little more tricky - the
shaping - depends on the pattern. . .

Neckline/shoulders/armhole shaping - some of this is sudden like and
fairly easy to match up with your new gauge - other parts are gradual
and you would need to be watchful.

This is more work than a lot of people want to put in - they much prefer
the pattern to have this all taken care of for them - and that's
alright, but if you *really* want to use this yarn and that pattern -
than it's prefectly doable

Sonya

Old November 9th 03, 07:18 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Sonya but with this highly cabled ( 6 different Irish cables running
throughout plus I think I will keep the yarn and pattern together this time.
If the sweater was more plain I think I would have given it a try..........

WAY OT - rain gauge Kellie J. Berger Quilting 9 October 12th 04 01:27 PM
Drill Gauge -- not OT EL Beads 19 March 30th 04 06:02 PM
Midgauge Knitting Machine Artisan 70D for saleArtisan 70D Mid Gauge knitting machine for sale as is. The row Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM
Gauge calculation Elby Yarn 11 August 11th 03 07:57 PM