Brownies and knitting

Old November 8th 03, 07:18 PM
Sue Carlson Dunn

Default Brownies and knitting

Hello all - I just got back from a Brownie sleepover (Friday afternoon
through to teatime today) so I'm catching up yet again! This time
there were over 600 messages, so I've just marked them all as read and
will start with a clean slate - sorry if I've missed anything that
might have been directed to me.

Our theme for the sleepover was "Remember, remember" - it tied in
nicely with Bonfire night, Remembrance Sunday and memories generally.
We had groups named for different fireworks, cooked all our own food,
talked a bit about wars, played memory games and, on the subject of
remembering how our mothers and grandmothers might have spent their
time in the days before TV and Gameboys, we started teaching the
Brownies to knit ...

Some of them weren't very interested, but five or six persevered for
several rows (with some very intriguing "design features" creeping
into their work!!) before putting the needles down to do something
else. Next time we had "free time", wow! the same five or six had
picked up their needles and were doing more. They only had a dozen
stitches in the row and were doing plain knitting, but the same little
group came coming back to do a little more every so often through the
day.

Well, I know that one of them is probably "hooked" for life, because I
heard from her lips that immortal phrase that all of us die-hard
crafters have come out with in some form at one time or another...
"Have I got time to do one more row before we... ?"

These bits of knitting will be on display in the window of our local
library in a few weeks' time - part of a "Focus on Guiding" feature,
and I'm just so proud of the girls' achievements in so short a time!

--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...(with a large glass of wine,
a very tired Tawny Owl!)

Old November 8th 03, 11:09 PM
Katherine Burgess

LOL I do hope that the little girls stick to it, especially the one who
seems to be hooked already. Kandace is having her first Brownie sleepover on
the 14th of November, and my Spark unit is having one of the 21st, so we
will be busy, I think! The Sparks are too little to knit, but we usually
find other crafts for them to do.
Enjoy your wine.
Katherine

Old November 9th 03, 05:36 AM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:18:33 -0000, "Sue Carlson Dunn" wrote:

Well, I know that one of them is probably "hooked" for life, because I
heard from her lips that immortal phrase that all of us die-hard
crafters have come out with in some form at one time or another...
"Have I got time to do one more row before we... ?"

I love it!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 9th 03, 05:05 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

WELL Done SUE !!!!
`catching another one`s attention !!! and having given her a present
for life .....
mirjam

Old November 9th 03, 05:07 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Sue,

How lovely and maybe if that little girl knits while the others are there, they
will keep it up too.

Hugs,

Nora