manuals in English

Old July 10th 03, 01:18 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default manuals in English

From: "Polly Esther"

...... Sat down yesterday
and read the instructions several times. Was even more confused. The
translation wanders quite a lot between Bagahlawaylia or whatever it was
written in and sentences that I understand. .............

You should see what happens when you translate something from, say Chinese
to English and then translate it back to Chinese. It's *really* strange. If
you then translate it back to English again, the final translation bears almost
no resemblance to the original and can generate some pretty odd stuff -- LOL!
I have a degree in Organizational & Intercultural Communication. This
whole translating from one language to another thing was a topic of very heated
debate in a few of my classes. It's even worse if you translate something from
language A to language B and then translate *that* to language C. It starts to
sound sort of like a new Martian language :-)). CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old July 13th 03, 04:37 AM
Dr. Quilter

i always have a laugh when I read instructions translated to spanish...
i have to read the english ones, to understand what they meant and then
I go, aha, they used the wrong synonym for this word or sth like that
and only then I understand them... )

From: "Polly Esther"

.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 13th 03, 03:43 PM
Nell Reynolds

Mark Twain once translated his "Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"
into French, and then back into English. It loses some of the humor in
French, but the retranslation is a gut-buster.
I taught French in middle school, and had about half of my French students
also in one of my English classes. So when my English classes were reading
"Calaveras County," I had those kids read the French version and then the
reconverted English version. That group kept breaking into laughter, and
couldn't stop giggling enough to explain to their classmates what was so
funny.

Nell in Austin

From: "Polly Esther"

[...]

English Basketry wood bases 1900s BIN Sarah M. Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 01:49 AM
English Basketry wood bases 1900s vintage Sarah M. Marketplace 0 December 7th 04 12:16 AM
English please? jk Glass 7 February 29th 04 12:43 AM
Embroidery Periods - English Linn Skinner Needlework 13 August 23rd 03 01:04 AM