Workshop supply list grump

Old December 15th 04, 04:03 AM
Clooniff

Default Workshop supply list grump

I guess I'm just venting abit, but this really does bother me. Our guild is
having a workshop next month and we just got the supply list to distribute.
We're all supposed to show up with 40 copies of a pattern that is only in
one of the teacher's books or on one of her CDs.

When I take a workshop it is usually to get acquainted with a teacher and
her technique. If it appeals to me, then I'll buy the book or the CD so I
can do more. I don't expect to have to buy a book or at least have to hunt
it up somewhere beforehand. Especially when I'm already laying out a good
whack of change just to take the class. Since it is just one block out of
many hundreds on the CD, I would expect the supply list to include that one
block so I could make the copies easily.

Anyway, we're going to find it somehow and make the copies for all the
participants. As I said, just venting, but what do the rest of you think?
Am I out of line with this?

Betty in CT

Old December 15th 04, 04:20 AM
maryd

Sounds like the "teacher" is asking a bit much. I would consider canceling
this workshop and scheduling another.

--
Mary

Old December 15th 04, 04:58 AM
Joanna

No I don't think you are out of line at all. In fact I would go a step
further and explain to the teacher what you said to us.
Good Luck
Joanna

Clooniff wrote:
[...]

Remove Quilt to reply

Old December 15th 04, 10:25 AM
Polly Esther

All kinds of red flags, beepers and buzzers going off here over that one. I
don't know what I'm talking about but doesn't this supply list either
require that you violate copyright laws or buy her book or CD before the
class? And I'm meaning buy a copy for each participant? Polly

Old December 15th 04, 11:23 AM
Jeri

Clooniff wrote:
[...]

If I'm understanding this right the book/CD was written by the teacher of
the workshop? If so and the book or CD is not listed as one of the supplies
on the list I would take that to mean she's giving permission to copy the
pattern you need without buying a book/CD for every person. That's probably
not what she had in mind but to spring the fact on people that they have to
buy a book AFTER they sign up and pay for a workshop is ridiculous and less
than professional IMO. Perhaps purchase one book for the guild library and
get the pattern from that? If she insists that the book be purchased by
everyone then I would do as someone else suggested.....cancel the workshop
and refund everyone's money.

I have no problem with a teacher requiring that her book be purchased for a
workshop but everyone should know about it up front.

In the future the guild should insist that a supply list be available before
people are asked to sign up and pay for a workshop.

Old December 15th 04, 12:09 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Okay, I don't know about workshops, but....every time I have taken a class,
the teacher has either given a copy of the pattern to each participant, or
the LQS has that *one* pattern available. I've never had to purchase a
whole book or CD of patterns before taking a class. Like I say, a workshop
may be a different sort of setup, but it still sounds like a bad deal. If
it was me, I'd ask for my workshop fee back and give it a miss.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 15th 04, 01:18 PM
Julia in MN

It doesn't seem unusual that you are required to buy a pattern or book
for a class. If this is a paper piecing class, you will need the copies
of the pattern to complete the project. This sounds a lot like the
requirements for the foundation paper piecing class I took from Carol
Doak. That was a great class, well worth the price of the book, in
addition to the cost of the class and the rest of the materials.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 15th 04, 01:34 PM
Julia Altshuler

You're each supposed to show up with 40 copies of the pattern? Asking
each student to buy one copy of the pattern or one copy of the book or
CD that the pattern is found in is perfectly reasonable, commendable in
fact so no one is tempted to violate copyright, but demanding that you
each have 40 is way out of line. Cancel the teacher's workshop, and tell
her why.

--Lia

Old December 15th 04, 02:41 PM
Teresa in Colorado

A couple of things come to mind here. First, the teacher may not own the
rights to the material in the book. The publisher may not let her copy any
of the materials, even for a class that she is teaching.

The other is that the teacher normally gets most of the class fee. This
covers her expenses (gas and other travel expenses, preparation time,
samples, cost of materials, office expenses, handouts, etc) and make a
reasonable profit. Normally a shop or guild gets just enough of the class
fee to cover expenses (rent, utilities, use of classroom supplies, staffing,
etc). There's often not much of anything left over for profit. Sometimes
the class actually costs a shop or guild money.

The shop or guild needs to sell something in order to make some money. In
this case, it's a book and CD. In order for the shop to stay in business or
the guild to remain active, they must make some money. They can't offer a
service (in this case, a class) on a break-even or loss basis if they want
to stay in business for very long.

Copyright is a serious issue these days. Making one copy of a few pages if
you can not buy the book or it's on backorder is not legal, but
understandable (IMHO). Making enough copies for an entire class is simply
not right. It's not legal, it's not fair to the teacher, and it's not fair
to the shop you are visiting.

Demonstrations, lectures, or quilt shows on TV are a good, inexpensive venue
for "testing out" a teacher or her techniques.

--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot in Longmont and Fort Collins, Colorado
www.thepresserfoot.com
-

Old December 15th 04, 02:44 PM
Clooniff

I should have made it clear that it is just one small paper-piecing pattern,
probably a 4" square. But that's why we were so taken aback. It just
doesn't seem out-of-line to have that one pattern included as part of the
supply list which is only given to class participants. Or at least provided
to the organizers so they can make the copies.

Betty in CT