Which thread colour?

Old July 21st 03, 03:14 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default Which thread colour?

I am about to start another quilt (black and white snails
trail/Virginia reel).

I've got Kona cottons for the quilt, black and snow and a little bit
of red. So for piecing whic colour thread should I use? I normally use
grey (fairly light, but depentdent mainly on what the LQS have on the
large spools when I run out).

I'm thinking I ought to use white on the white/white seams, black on
the black-black ones and ??? on the mixed ones. OK, probably I should
just do some trial and error to see which shows less, but I thought
surely there is someone here who've got some ex perience with this.

As a total aside, how small scraps should I keep? I don't have a lot
to get rid of now, but some are definitely so small I don't know that
I'll ever use them, but might they be useful to someone else, or
should I just trash them? How small do you keep AND USE???

One of these days (probably at the ball game on Friday) I'll finish
the film in the camera and get to show of my latest creations.

Hanne
PS Don't reply by email - that account is not being tended to.
Old July 21st 03, 04:41 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Hanne
Gottliebsen writes
I am about to start another quilt (black and white snails
trail/Virginia reel).

Ooh - I love that pattern. I've got to do a whole quilt in it some day.

snip a bunch of good questions

I have no idea what you should do, but I'd love to see a pic of the
quilt when you're finished.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old July 21st 03, 07:31 PM
Roberta Zollner

I piece everything with white. About half through a 7500 meter cone of white
mercerized cotton right now. (Don't ask, came from a quilt show vendor!) It
seldom shows when pressing seams open, and never when pressing to one side.
YMMD.

All my scraps are SMALL. I don't save confetti, but can use bits down to
about 1" square. Very narrow strips (e.g. selvedges) get wound into balls,
and someday I'll figure out how to do needle weaving.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

om...

Old July 21st 03, 10:50 PM
Patti

Ah Roberta
You don't need to wait that long. In one of her books, Judy Dales said
she has always wound her selvage strips into balls; but never knew what
to do with them. I sent her an E-mail suggesting that she might
impregnate them with essential oils and use them as pomanders in
closets.
So, there you go, I pass on my idea to you too!!

In article , Roberta Zollner
writes
I piece everything with white. About half through a 7500 meter cone of white
mercerized cotton right now. (Don't ask, came from a quilt show vendor!) It
seldom shows when pressing seams open, and never when pressing to one side.
YMMD.

All my scraps are SMALL. I don't save confetti, but can use bits down to
about 1" square. Very narrow strips (e.g. selvedges) get wound into balls,
and someday I'll figure out how to do needle weaving.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 22nd 03, 12:52 AM
nana2b

Roberta, I make those balls too. I have one for each of the quilts I have
made. 4 so far. They are colorful and if I give it away I have the ball to
remember it by.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old July 22nd 03, 05:54 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

A recent NQA magazine had a picture of a quilt made from the selvedges.
I seem to recall it being fused onto muslin and looked like a strip
qult. You could read the different fabric names and see those little
color dots. I thought it was cool looking.

marcella

Old July 22nd 03, 06:03 PM
Ann Adamson

I usually use an off-white/ecru for everything, but I just used some grey
and now I'm in love with that because it blends with most everything. I
just used grey with some black piecing, and it looks AOK to me. But I'll
keep this advice in mind with the white fabric...I don't piece with white
fabric very often, but this makes sense to me...I shall use white with
white!

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Hanne,
I would use white for all, if your machine does a good stitch. Check on a
black/black seam and see if the thread shows when you press it. If you
use even a grey on the white to white seam it will shadow through and look
"dirty" right at the seam line.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 22nd 03, 11:43 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Will it maybe need just a little more red? (Contrast might look great, but
changing from white on black to black on white might be too effortful.)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old July 22nd 03, 11:44 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Oops. I just re-read and you said "piecing," not quilting!
--
Ruth in Happy Camp