First King size Quilt

Old July 18th 03, 06:49 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default First King size Quilt

Hi All,

Over the years I have made many wall quilts, crib quilts,
twin size and very few full size quilts. My son and his
wife will be celebrating their first anniversary soon and I
was planning on attempting my first king size quilt for
them. Will it be that much harder to handle because of the
size? Any words of wisdom before I begin?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old July 18th 03, 07:11 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

JS wrote:
I am currently quilting a california king sized quilt for my parents. I
would suggest patience, a small fan for your quilting table, and more
patience. Mine is taking a break in the closet for the next month.

Good luck,
Jennifer in Florida

Patience is not something I have acquired with age. Maybe
I'll learn with this quilt, what do you think?

Old July 18th 03, 07:55 PM
Kathy in CA

You could try the divide and conquer method. Dont put the entire top
together-break it up in workable parts and quilt each part separate leaving
a large enough edge to turn under on the back to hand sew when you put it
together. I dont know if I am making myself real clear on that maybe someone
else could explain it better. That is what I will be doing from now on on
the larger quilts--my queen size is a pain in the &*^$ to quilt! I have not
actually tried this method yet but have my Chaos Harmony quilt in 2 pieces
and will do it that way once I but the batting.

Old July 18th 03, 09:26 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Kathy in CA wrote:
You could try the divide and conquer method. Dont put the entire top
together-break it up in workable parts and quilt each part separate leaving
a large enough edge to turn under on the back to hand sew when you put it
together. I dont know if I am making myself real clear on that maybe someone
else could explain it better. That is what I will be doing from now on on
the larger quilts--my queen size is a pain in the &*^$ to quilt! I have not
actually tried this method yet but have my Chaos Harmony quilt in 2 pieces
and will do it that way once I but the batting.

I'll have to think this out carefully. The pattern is easy
to divide. I just have to work out the seams when I put it
together. Thanks!

Old July 18th 03, 09:52 PM
Julia Altshuler

I've made lots of queen size quilts and am quilting my first (and last) king
size at the moment. The thing is a bear to handle. Even basting it was the
same thing except more so. I didn't just have to borrow tables at the fabric
store like I always do. I had to move more of them around and work harder.

Words of wisdom: rubber gloves. They really do make moving the whole easier
even when you're not doing fine work. Just hoisting the whole thing around the
table is better with gloves.

Also: tables to the back AND left of the sewing machine. You need something to
support all that weight.

Consider: professional long arm quilting. I'm not going that route because (I
keep telling myself) I LIKE quilting, and I like doing it all myself, but on the
other hand, because this thing is so huge, I'm not doing fancy quilting anyway
so why not pay a professional to do the easy long lines for me?

I think there's a mathamatical problem with king sizes. A queen size is about
80" x 80". A king size is about 100" x 100". Now we all know that means the
quilt is 8,400" bigger in area (and therefore weight and need to quilt all that
extra space), but somehow we think of it as only 20" bigger in effort. I know
that doesn't make sense, but I think that's the mistake I made when making the
monstrosity I'm working on now. It only felt like I was making the top a little
bigger when I put on such generous borders.

--Lia

Old July 18th 03, 10:12 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Julia Altshuler wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'll suggest that they purchase a queen
size bed ;-)

Old July 18th 03, 11:55 PM
AliceW

I've made several of them and have another one almost done. Don't mind the
cuttin', don't mind the piecin', don't mind the quiltin' (all have been MQ,
or sent out for MQ), but boy, do I hate bastin' those suckers! Lots and
lots of pins. Helps to invite all your friends over for tea! Then hand
them a cup of pins!

Enjoy it - they are fun to make. Make sure you stretch every now and then.
Your back and arms are going to feel the difference.

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old July 19th 03, 01:18 AM
julia sidebottom

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

julia sidebottom wrote:
Okay, I'm curious what is the UFO box?

I haven't decided yet whether I'll MQ or
hand quilt. I do have a sewing room with
very large tables to spread the quilt.
My first MQ I did sitting on the livingroom
floor because I had no surface large enough.
I don't think I'd be able to stand if I
attempted to do one that way now!
--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

julia sidebottom wrote:

What's in the UFO box.
1. A floral Log Cabin (just needs to have bindings) been there about 6
years now
2. "Gift Box" quilt, King Size. Just the top, been there now 4+ years.
3. Grandmother's Flower garden. Just the top. Large brown and
tan hexagons 6+ years
4. King Size Bright Color 3-d quilt top. (Extra Large King Size) 1+
year
5. Double Irish Chain. In White, Red and Green) 7+ years

Now for the WIP's:
1. Another Signature quilt of friends and family
2. Drunkards Path (for roomie)
3. Cathedral Windows (my on the move quilt)
4. Folded Stars
5. Stack-n-Whack

needless to say I have enough current quilts to keep me busy for a long
time. The only thing is that I just want to do more and more.
juliasb
--

** When responding in email please put in subject line RCTQ *** this
will insure the mail will go to the right box ****

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com
Old July 19th 03, 03:06 AM
C. Carroll

I spray basted my king size quilt, did it myself and had no problems. I did
however, pin around the parameter just to make sure it all stayed together
from all the handling. The quilting went much better than I would have
expected.
I'm in the process of putting on the binding now and that wasn't too bad
either.

--
Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

Old July 19th 03, 01:20 PM
AliceW

What a great idea! I hope you did it outside, the fumes have to be terrible
from a king sized quilt!

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"Friendship make prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing
and sharing it."
Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)

. ca...