some help for my soldering tip?

Old December 11th 03, 01:37 AM
C Ryman

Default some help for my soldering tip?

The round part of my tip is rusting pretty badly and leaving bits of gunky
rust in the solder. Is there a good way to take the rust off and not damage
the tin coating?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old December 11th 03, 02:22 AM
Michele Blank

what type of iron is it? most have replacement tips for a couple bucks. Are
you periodically wiping the tip on a damp sponge or a sal ammoniac block?
That will alleviate getting the gunk in the solder bead. m

Old December 11th 03, 11:41 PM
C Ryman

It's a Mika which is not as common as Inland but I like it OK. My Inland
died last year. The working end of the chisel tip is fine, I use a wet
sponge and Sal Ammoniac. The problem is father up. The rust is getting
bad, maybe from being in the basement. Bits of rust all over the sponge. I
guess I can try lightly sanding it.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old December 12th 03, 12:27 AM
Moonraker

I use a wire brush on my bench grinder. Maybe you could use one of the
brass bristle brushes that you use to remove oxidation from the lead/zinc if
you don't have a big grinder?

Old December 12th 03, 03:59 AM
Javahut

"C Ryman" wrote in message
The round part of my tip is rusting pretty badly and leaving bits of

gunky
rust in the solder. Is there a good way to take the rust off and not

damage
the tin coating?

I use a Mika (456) also, your gonna love this....
I dunk my iron in the liquid flux to clean it, and that gunk, after your
iron is hot, grab that "barrel" part up above the clad part of the tip and
give it a twist, all that "oxidation" will come off. Have a few replacement
tips around for when the metal ( copper) gets too thin and you can change
the tips.
After getting the crud off, dunk it in the flux to clean it to the metal and
then keep soldering. That gunk can't flow into your flux if you only add
solder down near the tip and not up so high above the cladding. Their tips
seem to wear fast but I like the irons, light weight and big fat ceramic
compared top the instaheats.

Old December 12th 03, 02:21 PM
Javahut

I use a Mika (456) also, your gonna love this....
I dunk my iron in the liquid flux to clean it, and that gunk, after your
iron is hot, grab that "barrel" part up above the clad part of the tip and
give it a twist, all that "oxidation" will come off. Have a few

replacement
tips around for when the metal ( copper) gets too thin and you can change
the tips.
After getting the crud off, dunk it in the flux to clean it to the metal

and
then keep soldering. That gunk can't flow into your flux if you only add
solder down near the tip and not up so high above the cladding. Their

tips
seem to wear fast but I like the irons, light weight and big fat ceramic
compared top the instaheats.

Don't even know my own equipment, my apologies...
I have a Hakko iron 456 with the larger ceramic and the clad tip by which I
knock off the crud, hope nobody screwed up an iron tip on account of what I
said, but then again, maybe it works!!

Old December 13th 03, 01:03 AM
C Ryman

Sounds like a good idea, I have a brass brush.
Thanks,

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old December 13th 03, 01:09 AM
C Ryman

What are you grabbing the hot barrel with?

I was lucky the other day, during edge soldering a glob of solder fell into
my sweatshirt sleeve. I just looked at my wrist and thought "well, I'm not
yelling d&%M or jumping up and down, what's up" The solder had landed on
the side of my plastic watch band and stuck. I only had a tiny little burn
and it didn't hurt the watch.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old December 13th 03, 01:43 AM
Javahut

Pliers! I be tough, but not THAT tough! no bare hands.
the teeth of the pliers do the same thing as a file, just quicker.

Old December 13th 03, 06:54 AM
nJb

C Ryman wrote:

What are you grabbing the hot barrel with?

I was lucky the other day, during edge soldering a glob of solder fell into
my sweatshirt sleeve. I just looked at my wrist and thought "well, I'm not
yelling d&%M or jumping up and down, what's up" The solder had landed on
the side of my plastic watch band and stuck. I only had a tiny little burn
and it didn't hurt the watch.

You should see how fast a welder can get his boot off when a glob of
white hot slag drops down it.

--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Lampwork and soldering Charlie Beads 10 October 11th 04 06:28 AM
soldering gun/iron recommendations? Jennifer Moore Beads 17 December 6th 03 01:43 AM
Soldering copper mounting brackets. Andy Dingley Glass 1 November 27th 03 11:28 PM
glazing and soldering question M. Paradis Glass 9 October 18th 03 06:44 PM
Soldering Iron Woes Moonraker Glass 9 July 25th 03 02:49 PM