Making chip-carving knives

Old January 15th 04, 01:47 AM
Andy Dingley

Default Making chip-carving knives

I'm just making a couple of chip-carving knives. Any advice on
grinding and sharpening them ? What sort of angle is good ?

Any advice on what sort of temper for chip carving knives ?

They're made from a couple of snippets of old chainsaw bar, roughed
out with plasma and an angle grinder, then hardened and oil quenched.
They're untempered at present, measured at about 70 Rc.

--
Inbreeding - nature's way of always giving you enough fingers to count your cousins
Old January 16th 04, 08:07 PM

I'm just making a couple of chip-carving knives. Any advice on
grinding and sharpening them ? What sort of angle is good ?
Any advice on what sort of temper for chip carving knives ?

Sorry, don't know nuthin about any of that. :/

Guessing tho I'd figure it to be a totally individual thing.
The carver's strength, the wood and a whole list of other things
that are easier to picture than type.

Also guessing, too thin of a blade would be an easy catagory to
run into.

They're made from a couple of snippets of old chainsaw bar, roughed
out with plasma and an angle grinder, then hardened and oil quenched.
They're untempered at present, measured at about 70 Rc.

~70hrc? Along the work-hardened edge?
Have you spark tested them?
Are they simply carbon cased medium carbon steel?

Alvin in AZ
Old January 16th 04, 08:34 PM
Chas

wrote
Guessing tho I'd figure it to be a totally individual thing.
The carver's strength, the wood and a whole list of other things
that are easier to picture than type.

I have a really good set of professional quality JAHenckles- either five or
six shapes, I haven't used them in a while.
The stock is thin; probably 1/16th or so- long, tapering grinds with very
little bevel at all. They are distally tapered from the hilt, very hard, and
are either stub-slab, or stub tang. I have both the 'maple' handles and the
composition- prefer the maple.
They're short enough in the blade that I haven't had any fear of getting
enough leverage to snap one- they dull slowly and sharpen slowly g

Chas

Old January 17th 04, 03:18 AM
brian w edginton

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:34:02 -0700, "Chas"
wrote:

wrote
Guessing tho I'd figure it to be a totally individual thing.
The carver's strength, the wood and a whole list of other things
that are easier to picture than type.

I have a really good set of professional quality JAHenckles- either five or
six shapes, I haven't used them in a while.
The stock is thin; probably 1/16th or so- long, tapering grinds with very
little bevel at all. They are distally tapered from the hilt, very hard, and
are either stub-slab, or stub tang. I have both the 'maple' handles and the
composition- prefer the maple.
They're short enough in the blade that I haven't had any fear of getting
enough leverage to snap one- they dull slowly and sharpen slowly g

Chas

Henckels. ??

brianWE
Learning.
If I hadn't been proven wrong so often, I wouldn't
be as smart as I am, now.
Old January 17th 04, 05:04 AM
Chas

"brian w edginton" wrote
I have a really good set of professional quality JAHenckles- either five

or
six shapes, I haven't used them in a while.

Henckels. ??

Yeah; so are all my small chisels- one time I had a serious institutional
discount at an art supply store. I bought the whole set of everything they
had available.
That was just before I found out I was never going to carve wood worth a
damn.
Found out the same thing with engraving.
But you don't know till you buy the tools and try.

Chas

Old January 18th 04, 10:53 AM
Princebilly1

That was just before I found out I was never going to carve wood worth a
damn.

What does that mean ?

Steve
Yorkshire
Old February 9th 04, 02:45 AM
Paul W. Ross

Put up the question on rec.knives for lots of help
Old February 9th 04, 03:08 AM

In rec.knives Paul W. Ross wrote:
Put up the question on rec.knives for lots of help

Always wanted to make one from HSS, but need something to copy.
The shape that gets used and resharpened the most is what I have
in mind. No idea what that blade looks like tho. :/ Then there's
the thickness measurements etc.

Alvin in AZ
Old February 12th 04, 09:41 PM

That was just before I found out I was never going to carve wood
worth a damn.

What does that mean ?
Steve
Yorkshire

Came over here to see what was going on and saw this question for
Chas he don't read r.c.c so he won't see it... we can also talk bad
about him and he won't see that either!

What he was trying to say was he paid big bucks for a bunch of nice
tools and carving knives and then found out he "wasn't a wood carver".
Turns out he's a "leather carver" instead.

Alvin in AZ
Old February 14th 04, 05:02 AM
George G

Can you give me the newsgroup for rec:knives? Thank you------George

making molds...progress report! Sjpolyclay Beads 10 July 17th 04 07:59 AM
Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Need good source for carving gloves Bill Houdek Carving 3 September 4th 03 04:21 PM
3-D Wood Carving Machine A.T. Carving 0 August 28th 03 05:39 AM
carving Joe Kennedy Carving 2 August 5th 03 06:33 PM