darn...

Old March 25th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default darn...

I bought a diamond shape ruler to make some star blocks.......but it makes a
6 point star and I wanted to make an 8 point start. Is there a ruler on the
market to make the star I want?

--
Mary

Old March 25th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default double darn

I need to stop cleaning...... I can't find the companion to the tri-rec
ruler that was given to me. Sometimes it doesn't pay to do "quiet"
quilting things while DH naps before his night shift.

--
Mary

Old March 25th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You didn't mention preference for size but-

a couple of the Marti Michell sets make various eight point
stars (I think it's A, D and E - I think E might be the one
you are after)

I have an EZ Quilting Template for a 45deg diamond, but you
would have to trace them and then cut individually (bit
laborious!)

Could you just use your normal ruler and put post-it notes
on the 45deg line to help with cutting? I have made eight
point stars from fabric strips cut on a 45deg angle and just
used a little fabric spray to help minimise the bias
problems. Cut a paper template of the EXACT piece you want
and tape it to your ruler to help with alignment.

I'm sure there are rulers out there for 45deg diamonds, but
you should be able to do this without a special ruler.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"maryd" mardor@*net wrote in message
:I bought a diamond shape ruler to make some star
blocks.......but it makes a
: 6 point star and I wanted to make an 8 point start. Is
there a ruler on the
: market to make the star I want?
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
:

Old March 25th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You can strip cut an 8-point star using your regular 6"x24" ruler. Cut your
strips the width you want, then cut an end at 45 degrees. Now align the edge
of the ruler along that 45 degree cut, measure cut the same distance away as
the strip measured. So, if you have 2 1/2" strips [or used leftover binding
strips], then cut a 45 degree end, align the ruler against the cut edge and
slice at 2 1/2" for diamond shapes.

Clear as mud? I'll be mounting a photo demonstration of Lemoyne stars for
set-in squares and triangles later this month or early next month: there
will be photos of this process in them.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old March 25th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tonight I was wanting to make some 6 inch start blocks so looking to cut
small diamonds. I have Marti Michell set A. I have the EZ Quilting
template for the 60 degree diamond. At this point I guess I will use my
regular ruler........ but that will wait for another time. Right now I need
to get some sleep. Thanks for the response.

--
Mary

Old March 25th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes. It is the regular rotary ruler you have. Depending on the size
diamond you want to make I like the 6"x12" ruler. An 8 pointed star is
one with 45* angles. There is a 45degree line on your ruler. Decide
how big you want your diamond. Cut strips the width, flat edge to
opposite flat edge plus seam allowance. Then cut a 45* angle at one end.
Cut sections parallel to this cut edge the same width as the strip
width. Easy and no special tool needed. G Do remember that 2 sides
are bias and 2 are straight grain. Try to sew with one straight and one
bias together, bias on the bottom.

Now if you want to cut it with a different orientation, you will have to
work that out, cut your strips not on straight grain and then proceed as
above. Remember too that starch can be very useful in these cases. But
starch before you cut.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 25th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sleep tight - don't stress :-))

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )
Enness Boofhead Donut

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"maryd" mardor@*net wrote in message
: Tonight I was wanting to make some 6 inch start blocks so
looking to cut
: small diamonds. I have Marti Michell set A. I have the
EZ Quilting
: template for the 60 degree diamond. At this point I guess
I will use my
: regular ruler........ but that will wait for another time.
Right now I need
: to get some sleep. Thanks for the response.
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
: ...
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
: "maryd" mardor@*net wrote in message
: ...
::I bought a diamond shape ruler to make some star
: blocks.......but it makes a
:: 6 point star and I wanted to make an 8 point start. Is
: there a ruler on the
:: market to make the star I want?
::
:: --

OH That Darn Hawk Tina Quilting 6 November 20th 05 05:34 PM
those darn roman shades (again) DrQuilter Quilting 6 November 6th 05 05:05 PM
Darn it, you guys! Jeanne Burton Beads 28 July 15th 05 10:20 PM
Darn it! Kalera Stratton Beads 3 February 22nd 04 03:26 PM
Darn it! spampot Yarn 11 January 28th 04 07:24 AM