OT Polly's Dark and Stormy Night

Old June 27th 05, 04:16 AM
Polly Esther

I somehow have the feeling that I will have to produce 3 sober witnesses
plus video tape by CBS, NBC and UPS to prove that the power on and off-ing
had anything to do with it. Then, I imagine that they will give me 49 cents
off of my next purchase of corn flakes. But - I am just so glad to be able
to join in again. Polly

"Carolyn McCarty" wrote in message
What a shame! We've missed you, Polly, I hope the power company makes
good on everything they wrecked. Their business liability insurance
should cover it.

Old June 27th 05, 06:29 AM
Sharon Harper

Get that wonderful person who fixed your PC to write a note that the cause
of the problems was power surges. Works down here.

quicker)

link.net...

Old June 27th 05, 12:40 PM
Queen of Squishies

Welcome back, and a curse on the powers that try to fix things and then
break them. Good to see you, Polly!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old June 27th 05, 02:51 PM
Anne in CA

Polly Esther wrote:
I somehow have the feeling that I will have to produce 3 sober witnesses
plus video tape by CBS, NBC and UPS to prove that the power on and off-ing
had anything to do with it. Then, I imagine that they will give me 49 cents
off of my next purchase of corn flakes. But - I am just so glad to be able
to join in again. Polly

Give it a try anyway Polly.

Our local electric company decided that it would be better to have a
brown-out instead of a total black-out while they were fixing something
last summer. That's fine for lights or things that are *running*.
Unfortunately, electric motors like to have full power while they are
starting up. When I noticed the lights going dim, I ran to the breaker
box and turned off my million-dollars-to-replace refrigerator first and
saved its life. The air conditioner for the front of the house was saved
too; but I was too late for the two year old back-of-the-house a/c. The
repair guy who came to fix it said that its digital controller was
"fried" - that is a technical term for a/c guys.

Anyway, I sent a copy of his bill and comments (had him write it out) to
the electric company and after filling out a few forms and about $.37 in
postage, about 7 months later they sent me a check for the entire amount
-- $700 and change.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Old June 27th 05, 03:41 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

horrible circumstances but sure nuf glad to see your face again.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Helen Martin" wrote in message
ink.net...
Actually, with Hurricane Arlene coming in, it was neither dark nor
stormy - just a sunny, breezy day. Then everything went to Hell in a
Handbasket. That's my mom's expression and I have no idea how that
particiular feat is accomplished.
First, the power company decided to send out a road crew to cut a tiny
few of the tree branches that wave into the power lines. This caused the
power to jerk on and off several times before I could leap across the room
and shut down the computer. Totally absolutely completely fried our phone
lines and computer. Totally.
Please hold any shipments to the gators, they are pigging out on power
company crews and computer techs and the freezers here are full of
leftovers.
I got a heap of quilting done while I was cut off from you, my friends
that I love so dearly. I surely was lonely. Downright pitiful, in fact.
Polly

Old June 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Debra

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:04:28 GMT, Polly wrote:

I got a heap of quilting done while I was cut off from you, my friends
that I love so dearly. I surely was lonely. Downright pitiful, in fact.
Polly

Yay! Yer back!
Debra in VA
Old June 28th 05, 03:03 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Hooray! Welcome back!!!!!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old June 28th 05, 03:17 AM
Polly Esther

The welcome home has been so wonderful and I do thank you so very much. I
didn't mention that the new installation cost me 20 pairs of flip-flops. My
quilting friend who set me back up is making a flip-flop quilt for an
off-to-college niece. She saved us at least $ 600. I figure it's a grand
deal. Polly

"Debra" wrote
Yay! Yer back!
Debra in VA

Old June 28th 05, 03:33 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
When suddenly a shot rang out just as the lights flickered and died.. ..

(She's got the start of a good mystery story; wonder what comes next.)

Yeah, welcome back!

*psst* Carolyn! who's Polly? *sssshhh*
VBG

Ragmop/Sandy -- nodding my head at how much quilting can be
done when there's no computer humming away... ;-D