Quilters News Network

Old June 26th 05, 03:02 AM
KJ

Default Quilters News Network

I just finished watching Jodi Barrows on QNN. Do any of you use her Square
in a Square ruler to make blocks? I have one of her books and the ruler,
but I decided it's just too gimmicky....all the options to remember, and
there's some waste that bothers me too. Are any of you converts? Do you
look at block and figure out which option or options would be the best way
to piece it? http://www.squareinasquare.com/ I think she's been pretty
successful at it, so I may be the one who's not with it. However, I don't
know anyone who uses her technique for most of their piecing.

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old June 26th 05, 03:19 AM
Roberta

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:02:07 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I just finished watching Jodi Barrows on QNN. Do any of you use her Square
in a Square ruler to make blocks? I have one of her books and the ruler,
but I decided it's just too gimmicky....all the options to remember, and
there's some waste that bothers me too. Are any of you converts? Do you
look at block and figure out which option or options would be the best way
to piece it? http://www.squareinasquare.com/ I think she's been pretty
successful at it, so I may be the one who's not with it. However, I don't
know anyone who uses her technique for most of their piecing.

I can honestly say I was really interested in her when I watched, but
not enough to buy anything - yet...and hearing what you say...I was
probably right that it is more trouble than it's worth.

I have bought the curve master foot thingy and a book about picture
piecing though. I stopped watching for a while - figured I better let
the plastic cool or it might melt

Roberta (in VA)

Old June 26th 05, 04:44 AM
Roberta

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:30:52 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I like my Curvemaster foot.

I haven't tried it yet - but it looked so cool when the lady
demonstrated it...and I have been shying away from curved patterns -
maybe now I will try one

Roberta (in VA)

.. .

Old June 27th 05, 03:54 PM
Marcella Peek

In article z0ove.90237$x96.6674@attbi_s72,
"KJ" wrote:

I just finished watching Jodi Barrows on QNN. Do any of you use her Square
in a Square ruler to make blocks? I have one of her books and the ruler,
but I decided it's just too gimmicky....all the options to remember, and
there's some waste that bothers me too. Are any of you converts? Do you
look at block and figure out which option or options would be the best way
to piece it? http://www.squareinasquare.com/ I think she's been pretty
successful at it, so I may be the one who's not with it. However, I don't
know anyone who uses her technique for most of their piecing.

There was just a discussion on this on the designers list. Apparently
teachers can be certified in using/teaching her ruler. The feeling was
it's a great ruler if you use it all the time, but if you just use it
once in a while it's easy to forget the tricks and then you have to take
time to figure it all out again.

marcella
Old June 27th 05, 08:28 PM
KI Graham

I use this method wherever a square-in-square patch is needed: there's
actually very little waste [far less than the sew the squares on a square
and trim the edges method that's commonly used]. Yes, the edges are on the
bias: no, it's never caused me any grief. This is the method I used to do
signature squares for our 25th anniversary...I made 100 square-in-square
units with muslin in the centre and bright edges, and put a handful of them
with an indelible ink pen on each table..I made all 100 units in an
afternoon. Someday I'll actually make them into a quilt!

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old June 27th 05, 08:40 PM
KJ

Hummm I've never even thought about the edges being bias. I usually don't
have any problems with bias. I'm not a "puller" when sewing seams....I let
the machine to the work. I can see how it is less waste than sewing squares
on corners then trimming. I'll have to look at my book again and see when I
can utilize my ruler. Thanks

Old June 27th 05, 09:37 PM
KI Graham

Check out "Rolling Stone Bright" in the "quilts from The Word in Patchwork"
gallery --click on "gallery" at http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
The square-in-square technique allowed me to piece two sets of these blocks
very quickly: this quilt only took a couple of days to make. You'll be
surprised to realize how often this basic patch shows up in other quilt
patterns.

Old June 27th 05, 11:19 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I just fold squares to make the triangles and then I don't have to worry
about it. Points are always sharp and match up perfectly. Not a good
option for hand quilters though. Too many layers makes it too thick to hand
quilt. I love the 3 dimensional effect it gives. Look at my June & July
BOMs and you'll see what I mean.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"