Quick Project for Camp

Old June 26th 05, 10:10 PM
Patti

What a lovely idea, Tina.
..
In message .com, Tina
writes
My eight year old leaves for camp tomorrow. This will be his first
long term stay away from home. He asked if I would sew a picture on
his pillow case and I told him I would do him one better than that - I
would MAKE him a Memory Pillow Case - with the whole family on it!

This was really cool. He picked the pictures and the background
fabrics. I had the blue/white piece, it was a remnant and was the
perfect size, I didn't even have to cut it!

DH printed the pictures on printer material and I stitched them onto
DS's background choices, then stitched them onto the "pillow case" and
Wha-La! He has a pillow case just for camp, with pictures of his
family and pets to keep him company at night!

This was fun and quick!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78694657sObccg
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78693987IKOSBH

Hugs!
Tina

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 26th 05, 10:14 PM
Irrational Number

Tina wrote:

My eight year old leaves for camp tomorrow. This will be his first
long term stay away from home. He asked if I would sew a picture on
his pillow case and I told him I would do him one better than that - I
would MAKE him a Memory Pillow Case - with the whole family on it!

What a warm, loving gift!

-- Anita --

Old June 26th 05, 10:31 PM
Tina

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement!

Since I had already replied to Pat off-list, I will just repost my
reply here, so you all know what a "woos" of a mom I am, LOL

Unfortunately, no, I didn't make myself a pillow case - and I miss him
already!! LOL Ironically, the camp brochure and the camp counselors
assured us, they have more problems with "parent homesickness" than
they do with the kids! I guess they were right, this IS my first time
to send him off for a whole WEEK! But I know he will have fun and I
will actually get some sewing caught up and hopefully get my kitchen
painted. Yippeee!

Thank you for noticing my Aubrey. We are going through a particularly
rough time with her right now. She was the inspiration behind the
"pillow case". Billy wanted a picture of her to take to camp because
he is very worried about her right now. Last weekend, she started
acting like it hurt her to even walk. She couldn't jump at all and
cried and whined constantly. We took her to the vet first thing Monday
morning, only to have my worst fear confirmed. She is in the beginning
stages of Lumbar Disease, a very common ailment of "weinie dogs". She
has an inflammed disc in her back and it is pressing against the spinal
column. She is in so much pain it is just heartbreaking. I have to
break her from sleeping in the bed with me, I can't let her go outside
to run and chase squirrels for at least three weeks. They put her on
anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers in the hopes that the swelling
will go down and she will be alright for a while. Eventually, she will
lose motor control in her back legs and will have nerve problems so we
will have to consider back surgery for her - or the worst possible
scenario, put her down. I have cried more than I probably should have
in the last week and had little sleep. She cries and whines all night
and it just tears me up!

So yep, I will miss my boy this week, he will miss Aubrey and I will
have too much time on my hands to sit and cuddle with her.

Hugs to you and thanks for the note!
Tina

In answer to other questions - he is going to a YMCA camp just outside
of Houston. They are a terrific organization and he has been involved
with the Y for the past couple of years and has lots of friends there
too!

The pillow case idea just came to me, since he specifically asked if I
would "put a picture on his pillow case". I didn't want to permanently
put a picture on the pillow case that matches his bedding (currently)
and I didn't want to make the whole pillow unusable (the side with the
pictures on it isn't exactly comfy for putting your face on) So, it
just made more sense to make him a "special" pillow case, for times
like this, out of material that would be really soft and comfy on one
side (for his face) and have the picture collage on the other.

And, it was motivated by ease and ability to get it done quickly. I
just put heat bond on the back of the pictures and then zig-zag stiched
around the borders. The heart in the center was actually a practice
piece I had done to practice satin stitching applique pieces and labels
onto quilts - he asked if he could have it so I thought, what better
place to put "my heart" than right in the middle of his "family".

The "case" was like I said, a perfect size remnant which after
attaching the "photos" - I just ran a seam down one side and then ran a
double seam across the bottom and turned it inside out! Oh, I also
hemmed the top edge beforehand, but that was so trivial I forgot that
part. LOL

Hugs and thanks for sharing with me,
Tina

Old June 27th 05, 12:29 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Ms. Sarah's Pillacases (that's "pillowcases" in standard English).

Sarah provided the instructions a couple of years ago and I have made them
several times--

"they impress people (who apparently haven't figured out that the
basic store-bought pillacase is a simple object).

Anyway: you'll need three coordinating/contrasting fabrics, one for the
body
(big), one for the band (little), and one for the hem (medium). Keep those
proportions in mind as you select the fabrics. I usually use a big print
for
the body, pick up one of the predominant colors in the band (which is an
accent), and pick up one of the secondary colors for the hem.

Cut the fabrics thusly: 40 x 23 for the body, 40 x 3 for the band, and 40 x
10
for the hem.

Stitch the band to the body. Put the hem piece *wrong* sides together and
stitch the double layer to the band.

On the wrong side, stitch the seam around the bottom and side. Finish the
seam
with a zig-zag or serged stitch.

Turn right side out. You are finished! Accept compliments graciously. "

My Notes:

You can alter pieces length i.e. make middle piece a cord and lengthen one
or both of the other pieces...(25, 1, 10 or 24, 2, 9 etc.)

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
www.kjbeanne.com/kellie.htm

Old June 27th 05, 11:20 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

What a perfect camping item!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

EARN MONEY QUICK AND EASY NOW!! [email protected] Quilting 7 March 5th 05 05:13 AM
GET QUICK MONEY EASY AND LEGAL!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 March 3rd 05 03:05 AM
Quick makes emma J General Crafting 0 June 27th 04 02:21 PM
FA: Rugmaking: 3 Quick and Easy Ways, 1977 HB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 June 14th 04 12:31 AM