OT I'm so excited!

Old June 23rd 05, 07:38 PM
KJ

Default OT I'm so excited!

I just got my kitchen table and chairs (6) delivered from the refinisher!
They are beautiful. I bought this set from a second hand furniture store
the second year of our marriage (29 years). It's a Heywood-Wakefield Danish
modern that's quite collectible now...my original $200 (hummm, might have
been 250) investment looks really nice now. And I remember being so nervous
about spending that much on a dining room table and chairs. Of course the
refinishing cost me between 4 and 5 times the original price! Still a good
deal. Now I have to find the perfect fabric for recovering the chair seats.
I've done that once since I bought the set. It owes me nothing! Can you
tell I'm pumped?? :-)

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old June 24th 05, 12:01 PM
Joanne Passmore

On 6/23/05 2:38 PM, in article tkDue.81900$_o.54484@attbi_s71, "KJ"
wrote:

Now I have to find the perfect fabric for recovering the chair seats.
I've done that once since I bought the set. It owes me nothing! Can you
tell I'm pumped?? :-)

Isn't it nice to see something you've been looking at for almost 30 years,
looking great with some help? We had four press-back chairs refinished and
they feel like new, antique furniture. Enjoy!

Old June 24th 05, 01:35 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

if you run up on a "Blue Willow" design while you are searching please let
me know. I need enough to cover my dining room chairs. I need upholstery
weight not drapery weight. I have the "Blue Willow" dishes and would like
the seats to match the china.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old June 24th 05, 04:26 PM
Susan Laity Price

I am worried that the current generation of brides aren't interested
in keeping anything for 30 years. They are buying disposable
furniture. They don't understand the meaning of "solid wood". I love
Hobby Lobby for many things but don't like the furniture. It is not
made to last. There is something special about the memories attached
to good quality furniture that continues to serve for many years.
Guess I am just sounding like an old lady but like to knock on a good
piece of solid wood once in a while.

Susan

Old June 24th 05, 04:30 PM
Debra

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:38:17 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I just got my kitchen table and chairs (6) delivered from the refinisher!
They are beautiful. I bought this set from a second hand furniture store
the second year of our marriage (29 years). It's a Heywood-Wakefield Danish
modern that's quite collectible now...my original $200 (hummm, might have
been 250) investment looks really nice now. And I remember being so nervous
about spending that much on a dining room table and chairs. Of course the
refinishing cost me between 4 and 5 times the original price! Still a good
deal. Now I have to find the perfect fabric for recovering the chair seats.
I've done that once since I bought the set. It owes me nothing! Can you
tell I'm pumped?? :-)

Danish modern is such lovely furniture. Enjoy your fabric search.

Debra in VA
Old June 24th 05, 04:58 PM
Taria

Lots of young married folks seem to be more interested in a party
than anything from what I have seen in the last few years.
I read somewhere that everyone should buy/acquire at least one
really good piece of furniture to hand down. That is a nice idea.
We bought an old english table when we got married that has really
served well. I refinished it a couple of years ago and bought a
piece of glass to top and protect it. I have end tables my dad made
for my grandma before I was born. Lots of old stuff around here that
isn't disposable. Things don't change much but that is ok with me.
Taria, feeling old myself some days.

Old June 24th 05, 08:15 PM
jeanbaby

We bought Danish modern furniture 45 yrs ago. I have replaced the seat
covers and finally added new padding on them more times than I want to
admit. Every couple years. New color and new fabric. Navy blue suede at
the moment. Love the style of the furniture Never goes out it seems. We
have a Bedroom set also that has the hidden knobs.
Jeanbaby

Old June 24th 05, 09:39 PM
AliceW

Ok, what are hddden knobs?

I have one end table that belonged to my mother and dad's bedroom set.
I love it. It's more than 60 years old now and still as sturdy as
probably the day they bought it. I use it in my sewing room to hold my
little gadgets and a sweet little lamp.

AliceW

Old June 24th 05, 11:26 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I dunno' about buying "forever" type furniture only;
I've seen many an ugly living room because the furniture was
never turned over, cleaned, recovered, or replaced.
Some furniture, even the "forever" kind, is ugly. g
And sometimes we just get tired of the same old stuff.
Typically, when we were younger, we bought what we could
afford, lighter weight furnishings that were easier on the wallet
and easier to move, which younger people tend to do quite a
bit (like my grandma who just loved to move g).
As we got older, we bought better stuff, and we bought new
stuff when we got tired of the same old stuff.
My in-laws kept a long, velvet-covered couch for almost 30 yrs;
it was pretty for the first 15 yrs (I saw pictures) and comfy
at age 25. But then Age struck it, and the thing was so heavy
and rump-sprung, they finally decided to replace it. Hooray!
Newer fabrics are easier to clean (and keep clean) and
*some* new furniture is actually more comfortable than the
old homely chairs and sofas that grandma thought she had to
keep forever.
We have several antique pieces, but we don't sit on any of them;
tables, wardrobes, trunks, all bear the brunt of time. We fell
in love w/ some of the Mission-style cabinets and collected several
solid, new ones, but kept the old, small dining room table.
But there's something to be said for "disposable" furniture,
stuff that won't stay around forever, isn't intended to, and doesn't
cost a (small) fortune. I'll take both.
Like the quilts, the decor around here changes.

Weddings: if they want to have a big party, hooray! As long as
the "happy couple" doesn't expect everyone else to pay for it.
Otherwise, weddings: kerfluffle! VBG

Ragmop/Sandy-- I've also heard of people (next door neighbors)
who keep the same wall covering forever, never paint-- LOL

Old June 25th 05, 05:27 AM
DrQuilter

I love bringing furniture back to its rightful beautiful state! But we
usually do it ourselves - we've gotten quite good at it, mind you. Some
hand me down pieces from grad school turned out to have hidden wonders
when buffed and waxed.....

KJ wrote:

I just got my kitchen table and chairs (6) delivered from the refinisher!
They are beautiful. I bought this set from a second hand furniture store
the second year of our marriage (29 years). It's a Heywood-Wakefield Danish
modern that's quite collectible now...my original $200 (hummm, might have
been 250) investment looks really nice now. And I remember being so nervous
about spending that much on a dining room table and chairs. Of course the
refinishing cost me between 4 and 5 times the original price! Still a good
deal. Now I have to find the perfect fabric for recovering the chair seats.
I've done that once since I bought the set. It owes me nothing! Can you
tell I'm pumped?? :-)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

I'm SO excited!! joysjane Quilting 11 May 11th 05 03:39 PM
Excited about new ventures: PhDl and A Day at the Creativity Spa (C) Susan B. Beads 8 October 4th 04 03:34 PM
Excited about new ventures: PhD and A Day at the Creativity Spa (C) Susan B. Beads 3 October 2nd 04 01:09 PM
I am so excited starlia Beads 26 July 9th 04 08:46 PM
OT Excited saucy Beads 5 August 15th 03 01:29 PM