OT - Woo Hoo! New 'workspace'

Old April 3rd 05, 07:06 AM
Polly S.

Default OT - Woo Hoo! New 'workspace'

One of my neighbors recently had a backyard filled with restaurant
furniture and equipment for a few days, seems he sold almost all of it
to a soon-to-open deli or some such. There were still a few pieces
remaining though. Today, while working with a friend mowing and edging
my yard, I saw the neighbor having to move stuff around to work in his
own yard. I made a deal with my daughter and got her (garage sale and
bargaining queen) to go ask him what he would take for one item that was
out there, figuring that he might be tired of looking at it! Fifteen
bucks, yeah, 15 bucks!!! What a deal! So good I gave him a carnelian and
bali necklace for his wife!

Its a 2.5 x 5 ft long stainless steel restaurant prep table!!! That was
great enough, but come to find out it has a second unit that attaches
to/above the tabletop with two 5ft long shelves!!!! I might find
something to cover the top if it turns out to be too slick or cold (hey
good for clay!).

Tomorrow I get to move a *lot* of things around to make room for it!
Part of the deal to get Jennifer to do the bargaining with him was
letting her use my small butcher block work table so that will make a
little room (now if she will just leave my Bali alone!)! Now I have to
find a good tall stool to use with it!

I am so happy! Now I have decent work s...p...a...c...e. Yippee!!!

Polly
Old April 3rd 05, 07:57 AM
Shirley Shone

What a lovely bargain. I too am looking for a work table so I can free
the dining table of greeting card bits and pieces.
Every time I come up to my work room I sort another box or bag out so I
can accommodate it. When I get to the knitting machine I shall pack it
up.
Then again when I get to it I may try to knit a cardigan.
Only thing since I had my bypass I have not been able to do the arm
movements, ironing gives me great pain.
Re covering the table, you could get some velvet type of material. Cut
an oblong out of it large enough to leave a space for working the clay.
Bind the edge of the oblong cut out on both of the pieces. Then you
could drop the cut out back in the hole for beadwork.

Actually the stuff they use for bead mats would be fine and you would
not have to bind it.

I had better stop rambling
Shirley

In message , Polly S.
writes

--
Shirley Shone
Old April 3rd 05, 01:33 PM
Peggy

You *did* get a deal. There's a place in the mill district of Atlanta that
sells used restaurant furniture. Lots and lots of stainless steel. I went
there once thinking to snag an inexpensive "island" table for my kitchen.
Think again! Even used that stuff is pricey. Fifteen dollars is
unbelievable!!

I ended up going to the North GA mountains (think tourists and retirees) and
spending far, far less on an undoubtedly overpriced antique oak library
table. It looks great and I just pop an "oil cloth" on it when I want to
get messy.

Old April 3rd 05, 06:40 PM
Empress Beads

Congrats on the new space! Sounds awesome. Share pics when you are done!
-AMY
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old April 4th 05, 02:14 AM
Kalera Stratton

Oooohhhhhh stainless steel work table! Nice! That is a real score.

http://www.beadwife.com
Old April 4th 05, 07:00 AM
Lori Greenberg

You are going to LOVE it! I just got restaurant grade stainless counter
tops and am in heaven!
Congratulations!

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

justbeads:
http://snipurl.com/axek

Old April 4th 05, 07:30 AM
Polly S.

Lori Greenberg wrote:
You are going to LOVE it! I just got restaurant grade stainless counter
tops and am in heaven!
Congratulations!

Thanks... I'm glad you said that. I wasn't sure about working on that
kind of surface. Funny thing though, I was a cook/chef for 14 or so
years and worked at a gazillion of those tables but never considered
them for other 'work'!!!

--
Polly

--