Sewing table heigth

Old November 6th 04, 09:57 PM
She in PA

Default Sewing table heigth

I am looking for a good table to use as a sewing table. I have several
tables around the house that might be possibilities. Can you help me with
what is the proper height for the sewing table? Or does it go by how tall
you are? I am sewing on my dining room table room table right now and it
does bother me after awhile. I saw a plan in a wood shop for one where the
sewing machine can rise up to table level or rise up higher to above table
level to change for embroidery, then it flips open in two different
directions for work area. I told my hubby I would never fold it up. I know
me it does look really nice closed up but it would be closed maybe on
Christmas Day when we have company. I told him it would be cheaper to throw
a sheet over it. I didn't notice the height of it. The gizzy-mo to make the
machine go up and down you could buy at that wood store, it was like $189.00
I think. I really think I could make due with something we have in the house
and use the money on fabric. LOL. Thanks for any help. I am trying to set up
a small area of a room for it to be my sewing territory. The other part of
the room I have to share with my Hubby and it will be hiss computer
territory for school. Any suggestions will really help us.

She

Old November 6th 04, 10:17 PM
Patti

Hullo She
Rather than concentrating on the table height, it might be better to
look at adjustable chairs? Then you could use one of the tables you
have and simply raise or lower your chair to suit yourself.
You can alter the table height by changing the length of the table legs
- you didn't say whether you found the dining table too high or too low?
There are blocks that can be bought for putting the table legs into to
raise them. I suppose you could just cut off a bit to lower them!
But, if it were me, I would look first at adjustable chairs. Then you
could get one with a back support that you liked.
..
In article , She in PA
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 7th 04, 01:38 AM
Becky

Go to KCK's site to see the best instructions for making your own table I
have ever seen. Inexpensive too!
http://home.att.net/~kckintz/table/table.html

Becky

Old November 7th 04, 02:39 AM
Julia Altshuler

She in PA wrote:
I am looking for a good table to use as a sewing table. I have several
tables around the house that might be possibilities. Can you help me with
what is the proper height for the sewing table? Or does it go by how tall
you are?

Sewing or cutting? For rotary cutting, I suggest a table that's hip
high. For sewing, I like the needle to be at waist level once I'm
seated. That means the height of the table must be a tad lower to
accomodate the rise in the sewing machine.

--Lia

Old November 7th 04, 02:20 PM
Roberta Zollner

You want to be able to sew with your elbows at more or less right angles
when your hands are on the machine bed. If your machine is on an ordinary
table, get yourself an acrylic extension to make a nice flat surface that
supports your lower arms, and an adjustable chair. If you can't reach the
foot pedal when your chair is high enough, put it up on a brick or
something.
My table is not the best (DD2's abandoned Ikea desk), but my chair is great.
Also, I can position other tables behind and to the side to support a quilt
for machine quilting.
Roberta in D

Old November 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Beth Pierce

HI there, She. This website might help you:
http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_g/g-412.html It will give you an idea
of how how not only your table should be, but also your chair

Old November 10th 04, 01:35 PM
Maureen Wozniak

The height for the table is based on your height. My table looks way
too low, but when I sit at it, it is just right and very comfy. My
chair is also adjustable.