The results are in

Old April 26th 04, 01:45 PM
Michelle in Gander

Default The results are in

I thought 1,2,3, and 5 looked the best. 4 looks almost solid? Good work!
Michelle in Gander

"dogsnus" wrote in message
I did my first batch of fabric dyeing yesterday.
Each number is written down in a notebook along with
the method,recipe and amount of dye used.
Some pieces went back into the dye vat,some I'll use as is.
I used plain white Kona cotton,200 thread count.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn.../1,2,3,4,5.JPG
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/images/6,7,8.JPG

The color is Alpine Blue. I was disappointed in my
salt method results,so I need to work on my technique,#4.
7 & 8 were done with drizzling and spraying and show
promise,but I think I need to darken the initial background
first before I try it.Again,I need to work on my technique.

(Special thanks to Kathy in CA, for the instructions
on her website. That's what I used to play around with,using
the different techniques she outlined.)

I also did some playing around with different types of
fabric which I have lined up here, each one next to the original
piece before dyeing.
Pieces 2 & 4 were the most interesting,which you can see better
if you can zoom in.(I tried to get a shot close up
but they ended up blurry.)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...%20fabrics.JPG

This was loads of fun to do and I look forward to doing it again.
I have so many ideas in my head,I don't know where to begin.

Terri

Old April 26th 04, 05:52 PM
Terbear

They turned out great...so how do we place our orders, hehe.
I am looking forward to having some free time to give it a spin & will for
sure use Kathy's instructions!
thanks for sharing them!

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts?&page=1

Old April 27th 04, 04:57 AM
nzl*

using the rock salt i presume. its reuseable too.
if heated in the microwave first will have more effect as it is really dry
and hot or warmish when tossed on will absorb more and quicker.
i love the salt texture.
got pix?
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"dogsnus" wrote...

Old April 27th 04, 05:39 PM
Diana Curtis

Ooooh... how about you have him attach it to an exersize bike or treadmill?
You could insure good stirrage and really tight leg muscles at the same
time!
Diana

dogsnus@--- nevermind!

I am looking forward to having some free time to give it a spin & will

for
sure use Kathy's instructions!
thanks for sharing them!

It is fun and I can't wait to do more.
Something I discovered,and it's being discussed just now on another
thread,is that constant agitation to make solid colors with no
variations cannot be stressed enough.Since this takes several hours to do,
I've asked my husband to design a machine to help stir the bucket contents
for me.I'm thinking a motor with an offset or oblong gear track would
do the trick;something along the lines of how a Kitchenaid mixer works,
with just one piece of metal or dowel and much slower, of course.
He's thinking about how he can design and make it.

Terri

Old April 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Dr. Quilter

loved #1-3 scrunched?

I didn't get to it yet.... maybe this weekend!

dogsnus wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old April 28th 04, 05:25 PM
Dr. Quilter

what we use in lab to make solutions would work too: a base with a
rotating magnet plus a logish magnetized rod inside the container -
creates a beautiful swirl! wonder if anybody would notice if I borrow
one... ). They also can heat up the solution.. not needed for procyon
dyes, though, right?

dogsnus wrote:

Something I discovered,and it's being discussed just now on another
thread,is that constant agitation to make solid colors with no
variations cannot be stressed enough.Since this takes several hours to do,
I've asked my husband to design a machine to help stir the bucket contents
for me.I'm thinking a motor with an offset or oblong gear track would
do the trick;something along the lines of how a Kitchenaid mixer works,
with just one piece of metal or dowel and much slower, of course.
He's thinking about how he can design and make it.

Terri

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Floss usage experiment. Results. Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. Needlework 0 August 5th 04 02:28 PM
Fair Results Liz Hampton Needlework 2 July 22nd 04 12:26 AM
OT Shirley' test results Jan NZ Beads 21 June 22nd 04 05:49 AM
Woodlawn Results? Julie T in VA Needlework 13 March 2nd 04 07:44 PM
Mastering Cone Six Glazes, Our Test Results GaSeku Pottery 18 January 30th 04 04:58 PM