Top 3 Needlearts ~ A New Poll

Old December 6th 03, 07:22 PM
Ellice

On 12/6/03 10:46 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

On 12/6/03 10:33 AM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

On 12/6/03 6:49 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

Want to time to get better at!
Art quilting

Top 3:
1. Counted Thread (XS including fancy or decorative stitches, Drawn Thread)
2. Needle Point (of course with interesting stitches)
3. Art Quilting

Want to Learn:
Knitting
Garden Gate Quilts
Making own Glass Beads, Embellishments

Need More Time For:
Finishing Quilts

If you ever get up here, I have a LQS to take you too! She specializes in
supplies for Art Quilts and has every fiber you could wish for!

LOL - I wonder if it's the shop whose booth at the AQS Expo I spent a
fortune in! For the first (only?) time I actually bought a quilt kit - the
fabric was so perfect, and I loved the pattern booklet - so what the heck.
Thankfully - DH really likes it. When I just spent over $100 on the kit.
Fantastic shop in VT, Quilter's Courtyard, www.quilterscourtyard.com . They
may even carry my quilted fob thingies - if I'm lucky.

You bet I'll make it your way - sooner or later. First - you're coming to DC
for the road trip with me, Caryn and others ;^) Then, we'll make it to NH -
since it's on DH's list of possible buy some land to retire places. We've
only got 2 - NH, and Asheville (western) NC. Especially now that we've heard
that his truly meaner crazy Sis is contemplating moving to the Tidewater of
Virginia (the other already has a home site in New Bern NC). The meaner one
(lives in RI) - wants to move to Tidewater because her XH told her it's
cheap (true, low COL) and easier weather than RI. So, we're heading away!!!!

ellice

Old December 6th 03, 07:27 PM
Ellice

On 12/6/03 11:44 AM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

LUSNMYMIND wrote:
What I want to learn:

1. stumpwork
2. quilting
3. embroidery

I would like to venture back into making clothing, haven't drug the sewing
machine out in years. Needlepainting is beautiful, too. Wait...what's the
difference between needlepoint and embroidery? Is it that embroidery is the
stitching to embellish something say with a flower, and needlepoint is more
of
stitching a picture? Gosh am I having a brain fart this morning or what? lol.
At any rate, inquiring minds want to know, and all that...

Rhonda: The term embroidery means any decorative stitching that
embellishes a ground of some sort. That ground can be fabric (plain or
knit, crocheted or net) or canvas. Needlepoint (aka tapestry) is
embroidery on canvas, and originally had certain stitches attached to
it. But modern canvas embroiderers are borrowing from other genres,
such as filet lace and reticella to make unique canvas art.

There are some that also further define the difference between needlepoint,
and say counted thread work as "Needlepoint being done on a ground which has
holes larger than the woven thread of the ground - i.e. Canvas. While
embroidery is done on a ground fabric of which the holes are smaller than
the woven threads - i.e. Evenweave, aida, linen, satin, etc" . Just a visual
kind of easy thing to remember. Most stitches can be done on whatever the
ground - with some effort ;^)

Embroidery - no matter on what ground - can be a "scenic picture", a
flower, or simply patterning (diamonds, holes, squares, damask
look-alikes as examples).

There are many that only do geometric patterns - highlighting stitches and
texture, rather than pictures as Needlepoint. And similarly, some who prefer
pictures - scenics, etc. Same for other forms of embroidery.

ellice

Old December 6th 03, 09:17 PM
Darla

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:35:10 -0800, Russell Miller
wrote:

New poll time. What are your top 3 needlearts choices. Mine a

1. Counted Cross Stitch
2. Quilt-top Piecing
3. this space intentionally left blank

Want to learn...

1. Hardanger
2. this space intentionally left blank
3. this space intentionally left blank

Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old December 6th 03, 09:44 PM
Momjws1

What are your top 3 needlearts choices. Mine a

cross stitch
pulled stitches
needlepoint

want to learn:
to knit and crochet better
Jane in WV
Old December 6th 03, 11:23 PM
Jeri

"Russell Miller" wrote in message

New poll time. What are your top 3 needlearts choices.

1. quilting
2. counted cross stitch
3. crochet

I like to knit also but crochet edges it out by a hair.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old December 7th 03, 12:07 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Nope this one is in Pepperell MA (http://www.pppatch.com)

You bet I'll make it your way - sooner or later. First - you're coming to DC
for the road trip with me, Caryn and others ;^)

After the hockey season is over!

Then, we'll make it to NH -
since it's on DH's list of possible buy some land to retire places. We've
only got 2 - NH, and Asheville (western) NC. Especially now that we've heard
that his truly meaner crazy Sis is contemplating moving to the Tidewater of
Virginia (the other already has a home site in New Bern NC). The meaner one
(lives in RI) - wants to move to Tidewater because her XH told her it's
cheap (true, low COL) and easier weather than RI. So, we're heading away!!!!

ellice

Sounds like a good idea! there are still some nice places to live here!
Cheryl

Old December 7th 03, 12:11 AM
Laury Walkey

Russell Miller wrote:

New poll time. What are your top 3 needlearts choices.

To do:

1. Counted cross stitching.
2. Needlework using a variety of speciality stitches.
3.

(Don't have a third yet as I only do the two kinds at this point.)

To learn:

1. Needlepoint
2. (Re-learn) Embroidery (so I can expand into crewel and
needlepainting, amongst other styles)
3. Hardanger
4. (Re-learn) Knitting
5. Machine sewing. (First I have to learn not to think of the sewing
machine as being possessed...)

Cheers,

--

Laury

Old December 7th 03, 12:30 AM
Alison

Russell Miller wrote:

New poll time. What are your top 3 needlearts choices.

To do:
1. Counted Cross stitching
2. Simple knitting
3. Bead weaving

To learn:
1. More beading stuff - new stitches, techniques
2. Sock Knitting - multiple needles
3. Knitting in the round - circular needle

THanks for starting this thread!

Alison

Old December 7th 03, 12:40 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ellice wrote:
There are some that also further define the difference between

needlepoint,
and say counted thread work as "Needlepoint being done on a ground which has
holes larger than the woven thread of the ground - i.e. Canvas.

Counted thread work can be done on any fabric . . . not just those
"readily countable" or on a mesh ground. The types of stitches and
manner they are used depends upon the ground. But "counted embroidery"
was, and still is, done on extremely fine grounds that most of us today
wouldn't tackle.

And what's readily countable by some is someone else's "coarse". Plus,
not all grounds are created equally. For instance, there is 40-count
which is fairly readily countable, and 40-count which is a stickler to
count. It has to do with the size of the threads of the ground.

Also, there's 28-ct linen that is "stiff" and 28-ct linen that is soft.
The stiff one doesn't work well for a napkin, but if you want to frame
it, makes for an easier ground to work some stitches.

Needlepoint is embroidery on canvas. However, those same stitches (such
as Algerian filling stitch) might also be done on 32-count Belfast.

I've read books pointing out "velvet stitch" and calling it a canvas
stitch, but I've used it readily on a wool ground, and it's gorgeous,
with a different look than "turkey work" which is a similar looped
stitch. This all gets very sticky when we say a particular stitch is
"only" used in one way. (I'm not saying you said this, just pointing it
out).

While
embroidery is done on a ground fabric of which the holes are smaller than
the woven threads - i.e. Evenweave, aida, linen, satin, etc" . Just a visual
kind of easy thing to remember. Most stitches can be done on whatever the
ground - with some effort ;^)

Sorry, it's ALL embroidery, whether it's in a genre of "needlepoint"
(embroidery on canvas), or raised (Brazilian, stumpwork), or flat
(shading, normal surface stuff), or goldwork. Whether you withdraw
thread or pucker them in some fashion, as in smocking. In smocking, by
the way, you can create "pictures", just as in needlepoint with its tent
stitches, or in cross stitch.

Needlepoint is unique in that it is embroidery worked on a square,
stiffer mesh (including fine silk mesh) which supports the type of
stitches originally used. Other embroidery is worked on just about
anything you can imagine, from cheesecloth to 300-count percale to
blanketing.

Darning/weaving is also a form of embroidery.

There are many that only do geometric patterns - highlighting stitches and
texture, rather than pictures as Needlepoint. And similarly, some who prefer
pictures - scenics, etc. Same for other forms of embroidery.

"Pictures scenes" can be created by many mediums, including flat
embroidery that isn't counted. There's some interest in painting
backgrounds on a cloth, then embroidering on top. Some of these can be
quite beautiful.

Dianne