Waaaaay OT--Need translation for unknown language

Old August 5th 03, 05:59 PM
Joan Erickson

Default Waaaaay OT--Need translation for unknown language

Hi all! I got an email with a bunch of pics of cute babies. One
of the pics (a chubby baby girl with a red/white/blue with stars
swimsuit, American flags and sand pail and shovel) had this caption
across the bottom: Rejim yapmanin zamani geldi sanirim... The i's (I
know there's not supposed to be an apostrophe there, but how else do you
indicate multiples of the letter i?--"is" doesn't work! ) in
yapmanin and zamani and sanirim are not really i's but like an i without
the dot on top. Rejim and geldi have true i's.
Now, the closest a Malaysian co-worker and I could come to was that
it might be Turkish, although searching some of the words in online
translating sites don't find those words with the special character.
Not that this is of any great importance, but it's got me bugged
that I can't read the caption!!! So, how're your Turkish (or other
possible Middle Eastern language) skills these days??? ;-)

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.HeritageShoppe.com/heritage/temp/joan1.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old August 5th 03, 07:37 PM
Stephanie

The i's (I
know there's not supposed to be an apostrophe there, but how else do you
indicate multiples of the letter i?--"is" doesn't work! )

I know nothing about the foreign language, but the apostrophe (i's) is correct
to show plural for letters.

Stephanie
Alabama, USA

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old August 5th 03, 07:38 PM
Joan Erickson

I can categorically say that it is Turkish

Well, it's nice to actually *know* it's Turkish. Now, what does it
*say*???

Old August 5th 03, 10:29 PM
Joan Erickson

Stephanie wrote:

The i's (I
know there's not supposed to be an apostrophe there, but how else do you
indicate multiples of the letter i?--"is" doesn't work! )

I know nothing about the foreign language, but the apostrophe (i's) is correct
to show plural for letters.

Whew! Thanks, Stephanie! I couldn't remember if anything had been
said in our last little discussion on uses of apostrophes about single
letters.

Old August 7th 03, 05:01 AM
Rachel Janzen

Check your style manual.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

Let me guess, you are really happy there is a new version of the Chicago
Style Manual coming out, right?

:-)

Rachel

Old August 7th 03, 05:32 AM
Stephanie

Check your style manual.
Darla

According to the MLA, several college grammar books, and even a NINTH grade
text, the apostrophe IS used for the plural form of letters, numbers, etc.

This unnecessary rudeness is the main reason I don't post often. Time is too
limited to deal with intolerance and others' inabitlity to realize that
different specialties have their own way of dealing with "rules."

However, maybe my experience with this posting is a good thing. I will now be
more likely to participate in discussions!

Stephanie
Alabama, USA

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old August 7th 03, 02:48 PM
Jim Mc Namara

I was breezing through and although I don't give a rat's arse about the
topic - I wanted you to know that I LOVE your sig line! I laughed my ass
off!

Jim Mc Namara

all snipped!

Old August 7th 03, 02:51 PM
Dr. Brat

Darla wrote:

No, it's not. The letter itself should be italicized, and the
plural-forming "s" should not be italicized. Check your style manual.

According to the Kate Turabian's _Manual for Writers of Term Papers,
Theses, and Dissertations_ (1996), section 3.6, plurals of letters may
be formed by adding apostrophe and s or by italicizing and adding s
without the apostrophe.

If you're going to be categorical, you should at least be correct.

Elizabeth