Large sculpture?

Old December 31st 04, 12:33 AM

Default Large sculpture?

There don't seem to be blocks of wood available that are much bigger
than several inches across. If I want to make a large sculpture, should
I glue together smaller pieces of wood? What kind of glue should I use?
Is epoxy OK? Should I try to make the core hollow to avoid cracking?

Old January 2nd 05, 04:37 PM
Dan Farrow

Here in Michigan it is municipal tree trimming time from now though late
winter. In our little town they trim or remove trees of many sizes and
varieties. The wood is free for the taking if the adjacent property owner
doesn't want it. I have been able to obtain some interesting chunks of wood
up to two feet in diameter in varying lengths. The challenge is drying this
wood without splitting.
ups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 10:16 PM
GaryR52

Yes, laminating several boards or blocks together is a common practice for
making a larger carving block. This is done with plaster, foam, and various
other carving media, also.

I'd use white glue, or you can use a product called Gorilla Glue, which will
bond anything. You can find it on the web at http://www.gorillaglue.com/

The core doesn't need to be hollow. You can carve a solid block without
checking or cracking, depending upon the wood being used, as well as the
tools you're using.

Gary

ups.com...