How to take care of hand carders

Old July 23rd 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alan

Default How to take care of hand carders

I just bought a pair of Ashford hand carders. The instruction sheet
(http://www.ashford.co.nz/helpandadvice/HCL.pdf) says to card some
greasy wool first to condition the teeth. Has anyone done this? I
mentioned this on Ravelry and someone said they would NEVER card
anything but clean wool on their hand carders.

Thanks,

Alan
Old July 23rd 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Alan spun a FINE 'yarn':

+I just bought a pair of Ashford hand carders. The instruction sheet
+(http://www.ashford.co.nz/helpandadvice/HCL.pdf) says to card some
+greasy wool first to condition the teeth. Has anyone done this? I
+mentioned this on Ravelry and someone said they would NEVER card
+anything but clean wool on their hand carders.
+
+Thanks,
+
+Alan

Alan. . .
It's more a matter of preference/taste. I wouldn't use greasy wool
either.
HTH,
Noreen

If you do some of the grease will be transferred to the next fleece you
card - and it will be very difficult to clean off the carders. What's more,
if the teeth are set in rubber it could degrade with the action of grease.

I've never heard such tosh, our hand carders are ancient and in very good
condition.

My husband used to work in a place which madeindustrial textile machinery,
including huge drums to which carding 'cloth' was attached, the card had to
be kept scrupulously clean.

Mary

Old July 23rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alan

Thanks. That all makes sense. I thought about the "oil degrades
rubber" issue, too, which really made me wonder about Ashford's
advice. Also, I figure that any lanolin on the teeth will quickly rub
off, but the rubber will stay dirty forever. Doesn't seem worth it.

No greasy wool for me!

Alan
Old July 23rd 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message
Thanks. That all makes sense. I thought about the "oil degrades
rubber" issue, too, which really made me wonder about Ashford's
advice. Also, I figure that any lanolin on the teeth will quickly rub
off, but the rubber will stay dirty forever. Doesn't seem worth it.

No greasy wool for me!

Alan

I talked to Spouse about this over lunch. He said it was b*ll*cks. Since
he's the one who does carding and spinning here and has a lot of experience
I'll take his word for it :-)

Mary

My heart is sad, for those that care Javahut[_4_] Glass 15 December 1st 07 09:59 AM
Taking care of ADD Dr. Sooz Beads 5 October 28th 04 08:24 PM
Hand care when working with batting Quilting 29 March 9th 04 04:44 AM
What type of hand cutter is best for poor hand strength - mom really doesn't like pistol grip - Any Suggestions? Animal Lover Glass 7 September 11th 03 02:41 PM