OT Kamikaze quirrel

Old August 30th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

Default Those darned squirrels OT Kamikaze quirrel

In message , Jeri
writes
Pauline wrote:
Hmm. I do have pepper spray, but maybe just some hot sauce would
work too. I wouldn't want to harm the birds & i don't think they ever go
to the
saucer to eat. Okay - that's wrong, I'm looking right out my window at
the
bird feeder & there is a bird sitting in the saucer - eating! So, that
rules out the pepper spray. Thank Kathy. Anyone else?

Actually I don't think hot pepper would bother the birds. I've used Squirrel
Away! http://www.wildbirdsuets.com/squirrelaway.htm It works on the
squirrels but doesn't bother the birds at all. You need to wear gloves and
be very careful when handling it though.

I've switched to safflower seed in my feeders because squirrels don't really
like it. An added bonus is that blackbirds and grackles don't like it either
so they don't take over the feeders and scare the other birds away.

There's only one feeder I have that really works for keeping squirrels out.
It's metal and has a spring loaded perch that closes, shutting off access to
the seed when a squirrel puts it's weight on it. The roof is pitched so a
squirrel can't sit on it and reach down from above.
http://www.wildbirdhabitatstore.com/...&productId=34&
ccSID=a7c06f0c588963556bf41628910cfb9c
This is the only feeder I'll put sunflower seeds in because the squirrels
can't get to it and it actually lasts quite awhile before I have to refill
it.

Wht else can you do when you have a little bugger as persistent as this guy
is? lol
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55785125dHpNwo
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

I have one of those, there is a picture on my web-site in My backyard
pictures.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 30th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Pauline" wrote in message
We actually have what looks almost like a garbage lid on top of the feeder
that prevents the squirrels from climbing down the feeder. The saucer is
intended to catch the spill-off of seed, so it doesn't hit the ground.
Keep thinking though. . . I know someone has a solution for me!!

I never have much in the way of spilled seed on the ground because the
larger birds (mourning doves) and the lower ranking small birds who can't
get a chance at the feeder vacuum that up as soon as it hits.

I have mostly finches at my feeder, so I use small stuff -- millet, nyjer
thistle, etc, with just a dash of black oil sunflower. While the finches are
definitely trying to eat me out of house and home, I've never seen a
squirrel around the feeder. Of course, we don't (yet) have a lot of tree
cover in our neighborhood. If the squirrels had a better highway, I might
see more of them.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old August 30th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

We've solved the problem. We realized that the bird feeder has to be out of
leaping and flying range so our Cardinal feeder is not in or under a tree.
It hangs from a pole that looks much like a shepherd's staff. (?) On the
pole beneath the feeder is a metal cone that's sort of like a big, big
funnel. The squirrels can not climb past it although they certainly have
all tried many times.
I wish you well in solving your problem, it is such a joy to rest my
eyes from quilting to look out and enjoy the bird show. Polly

Old August 30th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Patti in Seattle" wrote in message
Taria, your dogs are just as sweet as can be!
I, too, have dogs, and never have issues with squirrels or other furry
things, and the birds don't seem to mind them a bit.

Back when I had a lovable, wonderful black lab, the squirrels would use his
house as part of their highway. The dog would chase off any cat, but
complete ignored squirrels and the squirrels took full advantage.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old August 30th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default OT Kamikaze quirrel

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...tes_car_i.html
Guard your stash well, and get your peanut butter under lock and key!
This may mean the little beggers are finally making a bid for world
domination.

At least they haven't started stockpiling nukes yet... see this little
item I put on my website:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Oddities/uranium-rats.html

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old August 30th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I cannot believe nobody fixed or mentioned my typo.

Teach me to post at 3:00 in the morning!

NightMist
desperately trying to get Ash to bed at a decent hour, and failing
miserably

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:55:39 -0700, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"Patti in Seattle" wrote in message
Taria, your dogs are just as sweet as can be!
I, too, have dogs, and never have issues with squirrels or other furry
things, and the birds don't seem to mind them a bit.

Back when I had a lovable, wonderful black lab, the squirrels would use his
house as part of their highway. The dog would chase off any cat, but
complete ignored squirrels and the squirrels took full advantage.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old August 31st 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi

Speaking of oak trees, do your furry butts eat the acorns that fall off the
tree? *My garbage mouth dog eats everything & when we go to the dog park,
when the acorns are falling off the tree he's busy scarffing them up. *This
fall, I'm going to avoid that park when the acorns start falling off the
tree.

Pauline
Northern California

My Daisy, a 2 yr old Golden, insists on eating acorns on our daily
walks. I have told her repeatedly that she is a dog and not a
squirrel, but she doesn't buy it.

Heidi in Massachusetts
Old August 31st 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Now we know why the squirrels don't run from your dog: either the squirrels
think the dog is one of them and aren't afraid of the dog or the dog thinks
it's a squirrel and doesn't chase 'family'- evidence: the dog eats acorns
and confuses everybody!

Leslie & The Acorn Deprived Furbabies in MO.

"Pauline" wrote in message
We have a dog & whenever he goes out to the backyard, he does chase the
squirrels (& birds). Obviously, it's not enough to make them afraid to
tread on our yard though. We also have a fence - they love to run across
the top of the fence!

Speaking of oak trees, do your furry butts eat the acorns that fall off
the tree? My garbage mouth dog eats everything & when we go to the dog
park, when the acorns are falling off the tree he's busy scarffing them
up. This fall, I'm going to avoid that park when the acorns start falling
off the tree.

Pauline
Northern California

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Fence your yard and get a dog- or four. I do not *ever* have squirrels
in my fenced back yard where The Four HairyButts have free run- or any
other critter for that matter. And I am across the street from and next
door to large acreages with thick oak forests and millions of squirrels.
I have three HUGE oak trees in the front yard and they are Squirrel
Central with all the acorns in the trees. Good luck with finding a
solution if you aren't up to doing the fence and dogs! VBG

Leslie & The Ferocious Furbabies in MO.

"Pauline" wrote in message
I finally got a "solution" for keeping the squirrels and rats away from
my birdfeeder. It's a big saucer, with an insert that has holes in it.
The saucer is attached to the bird feeder with hooks. I have not seen
one mouse/rat since I installed it & I empty the saucer everyday of the
birdseed that has fallen into it. Those darned squirrels are still
giving me grief. Somehow, they are jumping onto the birdfeeder & chewing
holes in the "heavy duty" plastic insert to get to the spilled bird seed.
DH bought the saucer about 2 weeks ago & I doubt it will last more than
another 2 weeks, with the way the squirrels are going at it. Short of
emptying the saucer every half hour, I am clueless as to what to do to
keep the squirrels away. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Pauline
Northern California

"NightMist" wrote in message

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...tes_car_i.html

Guard your stash well, and get your peanut butter under lock and key!
This may mean the little beggers are finally making a bid for world
domination.

NightMist
never did trust the overly cute garden thieving little snots
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Old August 31st 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Typo? What typo?

Pauline
Northern California

Old August 31st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

He does chase the squirrels - but they obviously have not passed the word on
down the line! But, yes, perhaps the acorn smell is like dangling a fish in
front of a cat?? (I have a friend who's son won a goldfish when he was in
grammar school. The darned fish lived to be about 12 & their cat would get
up on the coffee table, where the fish bowl was & dip his paws in the water
& then lick them dry. Never went after the fish!