Directory question - need input

Old July 4th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Default Directory question - need input

I prefer text, but I don't mind either.

Thanks for doing all the work!

-- Anita --
Old July 4th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

I like the excel format too!

Claudia

Old July 4th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FiederEls in NL

"AliceW" wrote in
:

Ok, I may be opening a Pandora's box with this posting, but I need to
know your preferred format of the Directory for the pending revision
.
The form that you will fill out dumps the data into a spreadsheet
format similar to Excel. I do some tweaking of the information and
save it as a spreadsheet. This format allows sorting of the columns
for any number of purposes. LN takes this data and also creates a two
column word processing document. This format does not allow for any
sorting, but it can allow you to create mailing labels if necessary.

So, given the above explanations and with the understanding that this
version of the Directory will be mostly done by me this time, what
format is preferred? I don't mind doing both, but I would really like
to streamline this process given the size the Directory has become,
but I also want to provide a Directory that is user friendly to, well,
the users.

I realize that many of you are very computer literate and twist and
turn the Directory into a variety of formats once it is received, but
these variations of the Directory are for personal use only and are
not to be shared. Sorry to have to do this, but we need to take
measures to ensure security of our data.

So, speak now, yadda, yadda,..........

Thanks! Only a few more weeks to the new Directory!

Both are fine by me.. i am just happy to get the directory..
Though... can i update on my entry? do i send my update to you directly?
My date of birth isn't in the directory and i sure don't want to deny you
all the joy of sending me birthday squishies!! mmwwaahhhaaaa....

FiederEls
Old July 4th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I've just about always asked for it in text and have gotten all but
the last one as tables.
I looked at the properties for each (gotta get around to tossing out
some of the outdated ones...), and the most recent which I got in
columns is a word pad document, while the others are rich text
documents. Since they both open with word pad I'd as soon have the
pretty one, whatever it thought it was when it left LN's computer.
If that works hurrah!
If it doesn't, better for me to go with text since the only thing I
have on this machine that does spreadsheets is an old and cranky
version of works.

NightMist

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old July 4th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Exactly my reaction, KJ!!
..
In message bVlqg.62796$1i1.46681@attbi_s72, KJ
writes
You could help me by explaining how to do all that!! g filter, sort
arrrggghhh!
I wish I could have taken some of your classes. I'd love to understand some
of those programs better. Actually ALL of them!
Where are those types of classes taught?
It doesn't matter to me how the directory is formatted. I'm equally inept
at any of them. :-)
KJ

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 4th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well, you see, Kate (I know you were really addressing KJ), I have
fallen at your first fence (though you didn't see it as such)! If you
asked me what 'applications' I was using, I wouldn't even understand the
question g
My DH asked me a couple of weeks ago where something was filed. I
looked at him in amazement (as I thought he would know!), and told him I
was working in 'whatever' program (I don't remember) and pressed
'file/save'. How am I supposed to know where the computer files it gg
as long as I can retrieve it I don't mind where it goes - apparently I
should know where it is hiding gg
..
In message , Kate G.
writes
I'd be happy to! I taught through a number of places... but where I
would recommend you start is
with your local school district -- they should have some community
education curriculum. I taught
for several districts that were near my home in Minnesota. They are
usually reasonable and designed
for mom's returning to work or senior citizens, etc. I rarely had
super techies in the class... so
those who wanted to take it slow could do just that.

I'm sure you could find some that would let you slowly gain mastery
over your machine. In the
meantime... tell me what applications you are using... and a few of
your questions... and I will
be happy to help you out via cyber space!

Kate in MI

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 4th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

The only criteria for me, Alice (and it is kind of you to ask - thank
you) is that I can print it out without anything having to be done
computer-wise (since I am only a skin of my teeth computer user g).
The appearance doesn't matter too much, as long as it is all on the
screen for printing (in not too tiny print!)
I do like the text format I get at the moment, though.
..
In message , AliceW
writes

Old July 4th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Alice will be updating the directory late next month (more or less) so you
can update then ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old July 4th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

excel please :-)

though I note that it's 50/50 for text or excel

Old July 4th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

Good nor do I Jeanne.

The new computer has Microsoft Works loaded so we have stuck with that.
I did get the spreadsheet last time but when I saved it in the Works
spreadsheet all of the numbers came up as ###### so that was no use to
me LOL

Dee in Oz

nzlstar* wrote:
i dont have excel.
i'd love a spreadsheet for its capabilitys but someone has to splain how to
make it work and if i dont have excel then what do i use it in?
argh.
will there be a box for personal website urls?
seems a good one to add, optional obviously, as not all of us have a place
online to post our pix to.
confuddled as usual in the south pacific,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r