Floss sorting

Old August 9th 05, 04:34 PM
lewmew

Default Floss sorting

OK - I have my complete DMC stash, all sorted so I can find it. But
how do you deal with your overdyes, etc.? Right now, I pretty much
have them in one box, semi sorted by brand. . .

Old August 9th 05, 05:37 PM
Sara

On 9 Aug 2005 08:34:51 -0700, "lewmew" wrote:

OK - I have my complete DMC stash, all sorted so I can find it. But
how do you deal with your overdyes, etc.? Right now, I pretty much
have them in one box, semi sorted by brand. . .

I'm floss away bag "girl" all the way. Every thread I own, save balls
of pearl cotton are in bags. The bags are all in flossaway boxes. I
have 3 boxes for DMC, 1 for Watercolours, Wildflowers, and
Impressions, 1 for all silks, 1 for Needle Necessities, GAST and WDW,
and 1 for all the other misc. threads. I need another box for my
growing collection of Anchor. My metallics are in a clear rubbermaid
box on rings sorted by color family. It works for me, but just about
everyone has his/her own system.

Sara
Old August 9th 05, 05:55 PM
Gill Murray

Sara wrote:
On 9 Aug 2005 08:34:51 -0700, "lewmew" wrote:

OK - I have my complete DMC stash, all sorted so I can find it. But
how do you deal with your overdyes, etc.? Right now, I pretty much
have them in one box, semi sorted by brand. . .

I'm floss away bag "girl" all the way. Every thread I own, save balls
of pearl cotton are in bags. The bags are all in flossaway boxes. I
have 3 boxes for DMC, 1 for Watercolours, Wildflowers, and
Impressions, 1 for all silks, 1 for Needle Necessities, GAST and WDW,
and 1 for all the other misc. threads. I need another box for my
growing collection of Anchor. My metallics are in a clear rubbermaid
box on rings sorted by color family. It works for me, but just about
everyone has his/her own system.

Sara

I have all my overdyes etc on large-sized rings, sorted by number. The
rings hang on plastic hooks inside my bedside cupboard;( cuphooks would
be better, but I didn't want the holes). I MAY put up a piece of that
perforated board ( can't think of the name for it) and hang the Rings on
there.. Especially since the MIL's old room is partly for me and my
projects!

Oh. and the set of Eterna silks are all in one of thoswe plastic
cabinets with drawers from the tool department. Beads are in the metal
tins for watchmaking supplies that I bought from Lee Valley. The wound
DMCs are in five Darice boxes, and all the extra unused skeins are filed
in plastic sandwich bags, labelled and in a Christmas decorations box
from Joanns, and kept under the bed.

All items are catalogued in Excel. Wow, I do sound sort of anal, don't I??

Gillian
Old August 9th 05, 07:22 PM
Tia Mary

Gill Murray wrote:

........ I have all my overdyes etc on large-sized rings, sorted by number. The
rings hang on plastic hooks inside my bedside cupboard;( cuphooks would
be better, but I didn't want the holes). I MAY put up a piece of that
perforated board ( can't think of the name for it) and hang the Rings on
there.. Especially since the MIL's old room is partly for me and my
projects! .......

Gillian

I do the same -- ALL of my stitching fibers are in their own floss-away
bags. Everything that has a number on it is then put in numerical order
-- silks, overdyes, perle cotton, etc. I group the bags by number
families and put them on hinged rings (all the 100's are on one ring,
all the 200's on one ring, etc.). I then hang these rings -- in
numerical order, of course -- from belt/scarf rings -- the ones that
have a hanger hook on them and the ends of the ring have little plastic
thingies on them. All of *these* hang in my sewing room closet. I have
four of the belt/scarf rings now and they are ALL full! My spools of
Kreinik metallics are kept in Darice boxes and other metallics that are
skeins are in baggies. AS I buy new or replacement fibers, I put them
on a shelf in my closet; several times a year I sort them and put them
in baggies and put them away :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
their whiskers!
Old August 9th 05, 07:37 PM
Carey N.

"Gill Murray" wrote in message ...

Sara wrote:
[...]

I have my DMC flosses on bobbins in four Darice boxes(must be missing some
colors), though the idea of hanging them on a pegboard is interesting. I
usually just take the bobbins I am using and have them in a work box that
will hold the pattern, extra glasses, scissors, etc., in case I want to take
it with me somewhere. Stitching is usually attached to a sit-on-it frame.
Work box and frame are in plastic tote bag. Grab and go; great for doctor's
appointments. Had started a box for metallics; reminds me, I need to finish
getting all those colors. Argh!!
--
Carey

Old August 10th 05, 10:03 PM
Catherine K.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:22:56 -0400, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've been working at a "master system" for my flosses! All the DMC is bagged
in Floss Away bags ( I really like them the best) and on binder rings in
numeric order. Each century (ie 100, 200....) has a key tag. Those are hung
on belt hangers - I have two of them.

You are one organized woman! I DID have a database with all of my fibers,
then I went and changed operating systems - having forgotten that I even
had this file, and well.... I don't have it any more.

Currently I am taking a break from floss-away bags and working with
old-fashioned floss cards. I will probably get bored with that, or maybe
not, I do prefer the plastic cards.

Regarding overdyes and all of the wonderful fibers other than plain floss,
I use floss-away bags - it seems the neatest way to do it.

The reason I have found that I prefer the floss cards (even with all of
the winding) is that it is easier for me to tell at a glance what I have.
Open the plastic holder and there they all are. Floss-away bags are a
little more problematical...

Catherine K
Old August 10th 05, 10:17 PM
lizard-gumbo

Carey N. wrote:

I have my DMC flosses on bobbins in four Darice boxes(must be missing some
colors)

Nope. Just went and fleshed out the entire DMC cotton collection and
they all fit in four boxes.

--
Lizard-Gumbo

http://community.webshots.com/user/moonlightmojo
Old August 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Gill Murray

lizard-gumbo wrote:
Carey N. wrote:

I have my DMC flosses on bobbins in four Darice boxes(must be missing
some
colors)

Nope. Just went and fleshed out the entire DMC cotton collection and
they all fit in four boxes.

Probably so, but I have three or four "partial" bobbins of the same
color. Sometimes I have kitted something out, or it is with a WIP, so I
get a new skein out!

Gillian
Old August 10th 05, 11:49 PM
Carey N.

lizard-gumbo wrote:
Carey N. wrote:

I have my DMC flosses on bobbins in four Darice boxes(must be missing
some colors)

Nope. Just went and fleshed out the entire DMC cotton collection and
they all fit in four boxes.

Probably so, but I have three or four "partial" bobbins of the same
color. Sometimes I have kitted something out, or it is with a WIP, so I
get a new skein out!

Gillian

Well, if I put *every* skein of DMC on a bobbin, I'd probably need another 3
boxes: those floss sales acquisitions, or when I suddenly see a color
that's unusually difficult to get, or when I think I had better just get the
floss for "this one project so I'll have it when I get to it," and the floss
bought and misplaced/forgotten. You get the picture. ;-)
--
Carey