planning new embroideries

Old March 16th 04, 07:45 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default planning new embroideries

I am on my way to start a new embroidered work , and as i wrote down
what this subject contains , i felt i could make either one Big work
that will Include all the many deatils or make a group of maybe 3-4
parts that i could hang together but also separate ,,, now i come up
with another question , should i be strict and make each work of this
group in same size ... smae colorings ? to indicate they are connected
, but separete ..... thus back to the thinking and self pondering ????

other question if all subjects are related = 1 big work, how come i
feel i can separate them = make several small works ????
Until i answer that , no process is possible ,,,,
mirjam

Old March 16th 04, 08:39 AM
lula

This is an interesting pondering to do.......my first thoughts are to
make your embroideries into some type of panels that can be presented
linked together or stand singly in a group..........this presentation
reminds me of multi-paneled Japanese screens where all art panels are
the same size.

Another panel idea comes from medieval church altar paintings, these
paintings are mounted as triptych panels with the large center panel
often being an impressive biblical illustration commissioned and donated
as a gift to the church and flanked by two smaller panels that includes
the donor and his family portraits........usually the panels are linked
together by similar scenary and colorations of the main painting.

I also recall William Morris creating a group of large embroideries
depicting various allegorical ladies in flowing gowns that are mounted
singly and shown as a group all in the same size for an impressive
display.

The use of related colors is probably the most noticeable to the viewer
that all the separate pieces link together as well as having a
continuous or common background images in each of the
embroideries.......I think these two elements would help to merge the
pieces together in the viewer's eyes no matter what size or even
different sizes the individual pieces turn out to be.

For a different and interesting approach......how about creating a
"puzzle"? Use different sized pieces similar to a jigsaw puzzle format
that can be shown joined together......and able to stand singly as
separate pieces........I like this idea very much and may use it for a
creation of my own!!!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 16th 04, 01:38 PM
BDS2pds

I would not, after mucho experience doing this, make them the same lined up.
This is of course "correct" but less interesting than relative but different.
Something to think about. I have done things both ways and after time enjoying
them, enjoy the more interesting of the two design processes most.
Old March 16th 04, 02:25 PM
Dawne Peterson

A very interesting problem. Maybe you need to make them separate, but
literally connected--tied together by threads in some way--rather than
connected by colour or format.
Keep us posted
Dawne

Old March 16th 04, 02:48 PM
anne

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen said
I am on my way to start a new embroidered work , and as i wrote down
what this subject contains , i felt i could make either one Big work
that will Include all the many deatils or make a group of maybe 3-4
parts that i could hang together but also separate ,,, now i come up
with another question , should i be strict and make each work of this
group in same size ... smae colorings ? to indicate they are connected
, but separete ..... thus back to the thinking and self pondering ????

other question if all subjects are related = 1 big work, how come i
feel i can separate them = make several small works ????
Until i answer that , no process is possible ,,,,

I've been toying with a similar idea for some time but haven't hit on the
pieces that I might want to present in this way. I've been thinking about
creating an arched narrow bookcase-like thing to border the designs and having
the designs one under the other or a wider unit to place one or two designs on
each shelf. Since I've not gone past the thinking stage or picking designs, I
haven't worried about tying the designs together with color.

I have a lot of ideas but don't have the skills, talent, or tools to execute
them sigh
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 16th 04, 04:58 PM
Rusty

I agree with below. I would say lay them out to form a big design
with four different sizes involved. That way they flow as one, but
could all stand on their own and look like they are suppose to be that
way.

Old March 16th 04, 05:23 PM
Karen C - California

In article . com, anne
writes:

I have a lot of ideas but don't have the skills, talent, or tools to execute
them sigh

I'm in the same boat. I draw like a pre-schooler. But since my designs are
for personal use only, I just swipe a motif from here, a motif from there, and
put them together out of a dozen other designers' drawing talent.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 16th 04, 08:13 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Anne ,, if you have an idea ,, try to do it ,, none of us became
an artist in one day , we tried / and still try , to express
ourselves. we tried telling the story , the idea ... something We
listen to our hearts singing the subject , we than try to visualize it
slowly part after part ,,,, we listen and talk with our souls ,, and
slowly a work is born ,,,
My only fact is i have the subject !!! the story ,,,,, that started it
all , noew i look for the way to tell it !!!!
And i don`t pick the designs ,, i think the design picks me [ i am
serious !!!] Than we have to work together !!!
I've been toying with a similar idea for some time but haven't hit on the
pieces that I might want to present in this way. I've been thinking about
creating an arched narrow bookcase-like thing to border the designs and having
the designs one under the other or a wider unit to place one or two designs on
each shelf. Since I've not gone past the thinking stage or picking designs, I
haven't worried about tying the designs together with color.

Everybody has his/her skills this should not stop you from telling the
story in any method you can and want to .....Use whatever Ability you
have ,,,,, best luck mirjam

Old March 16th 04, 08:17 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

My thoughts about creating, which you call designs ,,,, are not meant
for others , this is my art , my self expressioning my stories
I think you miss the point ,, I create my own work ,, i don`t sell
give or don`t have any wish that anybody else will make it .
mirjam
On 16 Mar 2004 17:23:32 GMT, S (Karen C -

Old March 17th 04, 11:00 PM
Marjorie Holme

Hi, Mirjam: I would think your pieces, if you decide to do separate
pieces, all will need a common element to link them. It could be size,
shape or color or it could be a repeated motif, not necessarily in the
same size, colors or technique. I've also seen some clever designers do
pieces that stand alone quite well but also link together, with elements
that flow from one to the other when placed together. Have fun,
Marjorie

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

I am on my way to start a new embroidered work , and as i wrote down
what this subject contains , i felt i could make either one Big work
that will Include all the many deatils or make a group of maybe 3-4
parts that i could hang together but also separate ,,, now i come up
with another question , should i be strict and make each work of this
group in same size ... smae colorings ? to indicate they are connected
, but separete ..... thus back to the thinking and self pondering ????

other question if all subjects are related = 1 big work, how come i
feel i can separate them = make several small works ????
Until i answer that , no process is possible ,,,,
mirjam

Hand Embroideries for Veils, Bridal and Eveningwear, Trimmings - Exporters/Producers Ashok Agarwal Marketplace 0 June 15th 04 06:05 PM
Project planning Bungadora Beads 25 March 30th 04 08:12 AM
Planning a modern 21 cent sampler - Paula where are you ? JL Amerson Needlework 9 November 30th 03 07:08 AM
Net embroideries Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 5 October 25th 03 01:52 AM
hiding parts of embroideries georg Needlework 3 September 7th 03 03:40 PM