Where to keep a roll of batting?

Old June 16th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Where to keep a roll of batting?

Where oh where am I going to put it? I ordered a roll of batting. It
weighs 75 pounds. A really wonderful price. Do I put a nightgown and cap
on it and let it sleep in the guestroom? I've been buying my batting crib
size and that is a hefty expense. It really is.
Would it be detrimental to its health to store it in an area that gets
extremely hot - over 110° I'd guess?What do you do? Polly

Old June 16th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Sounds as though it is time for you to buy a long-arm machine and
frame with that rail specifically used for the roll of batting!!!! I
have several large sections of rolled batting that I have bought
during sale times and I have no problem with leaving it stored in the
corner of the dining room space - don't have far to shift it for
cutting a piece off - it leans up against a tall cupboard so that it
can't topple on someone or something. Another suggestion: can you
improvise a spot for it so that you could roll a section at a time to
use as a design board for your finished blocks/borders/etc - then you
could just trim around the finished piece and move on to a clean
section for your next quilt project. I know that you prefer to design
using line-marked material so that you can keep it all squared up but
maybe this idea would work? jennellh

Old June 16th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Send it on over Polly. I have room to store it here in the walk in closet.
You just know somebody was going to offer to do that. : )
I have some batting (leftovers mostly) that I keep in the little barn and it
seems no worse for the wear. It is hot here but dry. I probably would be
hesitant to store a whole roll of really good stuff for too long in that
heat though. Did'nt Leslie used to keep her batting roll hanging on a
closet rod that she had hanging in her quilting room? You know you can
probably cut it down to 2 or 3 rolls if that would help.

Taria

Old June 16th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

If you let it sleep in the guestroom, well you know what they say
about guests and fish - they start to smell after 3 days...

What kind of batting is it? Can you call the manufacturer and ask them
their recommendation? At 75 pounds, it weighs more than you! Are ya
gonna have to wrestle it each time to get a hunk off? Can you suspend
it on a PVC pip threaded with rope or chain, and hung out of the way?
Then just unroll what you want and hack it off!

Ginger in CA

Old June 16th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you, Jennifer, but nope. My sewing area and kitchen are open to each
other and I don't want the batting roll to take on eau d'boiled crawfish.

Old June 16th 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You are getting good, Taria. Really really Good.
Our garage has a nice shop room attached. It was used by the builder to
restore antiques. ( NOT a passion for me.) It is clean and dry but does not
have any sort of heat/cool benefits. At most, I'd guess the roll will do for
about 30 crib quilts = less than a year. Polly

Old June 16th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

LOL. Ginger, you are SO right. We like guests for 3 days here too. No
more. I guess I'm sort of thinking I'll need to enlist some help and cut
part of it into crib size pieces. Should be able to spread them beneath the
quilt on the guest room bed.
The batting? Not a choice most of you would make but my venue is much
different. I love 50/50. It MQs beautifully, dries quickly, is soft for a
'landing spot' and is quite sturdy. Hurricane Katrina made me keenly aware
of the need for all of those. Polly

Old June 16th 10, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

I have mine stored on end in a closet in my son's room. It's sort of shoved
between clothes he doesn't wear anymore, and costumes we use on rare
occasions.

Nancy

Old June 16th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Yep, that was me. We used two metal closet rod supports with a metal rod
thru the 'tube' in the center of the batting roll- with the rod ends resting
on the supports. It was installed up close to the ceiling to keep it out of
the way. One warning- the roll can go insane and unroll on it's own (or
when you tug to unroll a length and it keeps on going!) and dump the entire
length of batting on the floor. Then I got smart and put some duct tape on
the rod so it didn't unroll so easily. It's a real pain to have to re-roll
30 yards of Warm & Natural.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 16th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:40:06 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

Where oh where am I going to put it? I ordered a roll of batting. It
weighs 75 pounds. A really wonderful price. Do I put a nightgown and cap
on it and let it sleep in the guestroom? I've been buying my batting crib
size and that is a hefty expense. It really is.
Would it be detrimental to its health to store it in an area that gets
extremely hot - over 110° I'd guess?What do you do? Polly

Do you have or can you make a space at the back of a closet for it? Just
prop it up behind the coats or something?

Maureen

Bamboo Batting - Soy Batting - pros and cons please DiMa Quilting 6 October 14th 08 09:01 AM
on a roll maryd[_3_] Quilting 0 December 3rd 07 05:09 AM
Roll Call Sally Swindells Quilting 46 September 28th 07 08:48 PM
Rod 'N Roll [email protected] Needlework 1 December 29th 04 05:09 PM
AD: Beads on a Roll Karen_AZ Beads 1 March 25th 04 06:21 AM