Anyone have a favorite new quilting book?

Old June 2nd 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Anyone have a favorite new quilting book?

Wonderfully Whimsical Quilts by Carol Burniston was a recent and delightful
gift. I'm having a happy time doing her Sheep in Dreamland. Love the book.
I just LOVE it. She calls it 10 playful projects to make you smile. After
getting burial wraps off to Newborns in Need - those of mine and those of so
many precious rctq-ers that joined me in giving the little angels a
respectful swaddle - I needed some fun stitching and this was it.
All of the sheep in this quilt have 4 legs and that's no fun but it was
survived while sort of watching late night tv movies. The sheep are just a
hoot!
Do you have a new quilting book that makes you smarter or inspired or
just plain fun? Share with us. They don't sell quilting books down at the
Hawg Feed and Copper Tubing* store. We need to know what you have
discovered. Polly ( In case I shot way over the head of our British
friends, copper tubing is a necessity in the care and maintenance of
moonshine stills.)

Old June 2nd 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

cant ya just feed the occasional alligators to the Hawgs without going to
the Feed store?
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...

Old June 2nd 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I know you folks below the equator do things backwards, Jeanne - but it
would be 'feed the occasional hawg to the gators'. Population he 8,500
gators; hawgs? not enough to mention. Only four that we've seen but they
are fierce. We see them frolicking over in the south pasture. ( We guess
that's what they're doing.)
When I do my evening jog, I carry a weapon with me. I haven't actually
encountered a hawg but I truly am afraid of them. I only hope they can't
run as fast as a scared-to-death old biddy can. A gator can do 35 mph.
Nobody's ever clocked a hawg. Polly

Old June 2nd 10, 09:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

OK, I've a question, what is a "Hawg" is it a wild pig - ie hog/hawg?
We have wild boar here, quite timid but very fierce if they have young
with them. No gators, although a local store sells gator heads with
solar panels on their heads, so you can place them in your pond and the
eyes bring an ambient glow in the evening!!! If they were cheaper, I
would by one, because they are just so bad! Mind you, it would probably
scare the frogs and they eat the mosquito larvea.

Oh yes, anyone got any ideas on stopping being bitten by mossies? I
don't particularly like using harsh repellents, as I've sensitive skin,
and don't fully understand the side effects of long term use. I spend a
lot of time outdoors and I'm sure that there is a neon sign saying come
dine, above me!!!

Janner
France

Old June 2nd 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

"Pretty Little Mini Quilts" by Ray Hemachandra is my right now
favorite. Nothing technical, nothing a total beginner couldn't do. But
fun and -- maybe even a little bit silly -- and sets you free to think
like a little kid again. At least it did for me.

Sunny
Old June 2nd 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Around here, Janner, a hawg is just a really big pig, wild or not. Can have
4 legs or 2. Or 2 wheels; isn't there a Harley motorcycle that's also
called a hawg? As to your being So attractive to mosquitoes, try not to
smell pretty when you must be outdoors. I'm not suggesting that you get
downright disgusting but mosquitoes seem to be quite attracted to sweet
scents such as hairspray and perfumed soap. Polly

Old June 2nd 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Janner wrote:

Oh yes, anyone got any ideas on stopping being bitten by mossies? I
don't particularly like using harsh repellents, as I've sensitive skin,
and don't fully understand the side effects of long term use. I spend a
lot of time outdoors and I'm sure that there is a neon sign saying come
dine, above me!!!

Hi Janner,

I know people who swear by Avon Skin-so-Soft body oil. Not tried it
myself - I just take DH along, 'cos he tastes even better than me!

Lizzy
Old June 2nd 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 02/06/2010 15:46, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
Janner wrote:

Oh yes, anyone got any ideas on stopping being bitten by mossies? I
don't particularly like using harsh repellents, as I've sensitive
skin, and don't fully understand the side effects of long term use. I
spend a lot of time outdoors and I'm sure that there is a neon sign
saying come dine, above me!!!

Hi Janner,

I know people who swear by Avon Skin-so-Soft body oil. Not tried it
myself - I just take DH along, 'cos he tastes even better than me!

Lizzy

Unfortunately, they don't like DH!!! So he just laughs, grrrr not fair!!

Janner
France
Old June 2nd 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I have recently gone on a book buying binge... or two. (With DH's help
I might add....G)
A couple I have been very impressed with a
Thread Work Unraveled by Sarah Anne Smith (??) Great info about
thread, using it and babying the specialty stuff. Also info on needles
and so forth. Lots of inspiration and neat pictures.
Color Mastery by Maria Peagler. This is a great book about color for
fiber artists. Exercises to work through using your stash and so
forth.
Then there are a bunch of other books that are more project oriented.

So many projects-so little time. (So why am I on the computer instead
of sewing??)G

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old June 2nd 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Janner you might try mega doses of B vitamins. The "Bs" are water
soluble and one way they are eliminated from the body is in sweat. And
they don't taste good to mosquitos. Works for some people anyway.
And, as has been mentioned, don't wear perfume and such outside. Even
some soaps are attractive to 'skeeters.

Pati, in Phx