Thanksgiving Day - some advice please

Old June 13th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default food & quilts Thanksgiving Day

I'm sure our forebears knew how to hunt wild mushrooms in the woods,
although they might be shocked to see what that soup company did to
them :-)
Roberta in D

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:40:44 -0500, Susan Laity Price
wrote:

We took a visiting Chinese student to a Thanksgiving dinner. As the
various dishes were passed we explained how they fit into the first
Thanksgiving meal until the Green Bean Casserole arrived. How could we
explain that concoction? It made everyone at the table stop and think
about what we were eating.

Susan

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:58:38 -0500, Sandy E wrote:

Howdy!

http://www.cherylsquiltcorner.com/ideas.htm

We accept all food, for Thanksgiving & any other get-together.
Husband & I, however, do not touch GBC; don't have to, can't make me. g
S-i-l no longer brings hers (I don't leave her room in the kitchen
to prepare it here, either g); our (grown) kids don't miss it (they can
make their own if they really want it G). I'll hand 'em the salt shaker
if they get a craving for "green bean gloop". LOL
Yeah, we're funny about that, and love to make fun of it. I mean,
c'mon, how big a deal is it, canned green beans (salt) & canned gray soup
(salt) & canned fried onions (salt), thrown in a bowl and baked, then
add more canned onions (salt) - ? I'll pass. To each, her own.
Reminds me of that whole home bar-b-q production. 8-
While the turkey is roasting, the guests are arriving, the parade is
processing on the t.v., the quilting continues; no ones goes home hungry,
and the house rocks w/ laughter and song.

Cheers!
Sandy

http://www.quiltbus.com/images/PTL105A.jpg

http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/tu...rk-pillow.html

http://www.turkeyfair.ca/quilt.htm

http://www.planetpatchwork.com/passtvq/tvq31/turkey.htm

On 6/6/10 6:22 PM, in article
, "amy in
CNY" wrote:

On Jun 4, 11:30*pm, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

potato chip topping?
Roberta?
*(around here they used canned "fried" onions...go figure.
Well, it's all gloop, this would make it crunchy gloop.)g

LOL!! Sandy!
I am a big fan of "the green bean gloop"!! It's a Turkey Day
tradition around here.

We usually have 20+ people here for Turkey Day. I love when anyone
brings anything! More the merrier! that goes for additional people to
feed as well!, we have lots of "drop-ins" on Turkey Day and most of
them are young, male and hungry! LOL! It's, literally, soup to nuts
here!

I would ask in your case tho. Some people plan a menu and desserts
"just so" and don't appreciate deviating from
their plans. Wine, flowers, fruit basket, etc. are all great gifts for
you to bring to the hostess.

Have fun and relax. Eat, drink and be merry! Elastic waist or unbutton
the top button of those khaki's!
We wear what's comfortable, not too dressy and stain resistant. ( some
of us with bigger chests tend to wear gravy at some point!)...

amy in CNY

Old June 22nd 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Thanksgiving Day - some advice please

Yeah, those awful fried onions are the preferred topping anywhere I've gone,
Sandy.
I don't usually make one of those green bean casseroles, but will sneak a
taste if there is one on offer!
Pat

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

potato chip topping?
Roberta?
(around here they used canned "fried" onions...go figure.
Well, it's all gloop, this would make it crunchy gloop. g

Thanksgiving Day is for quilting. ;-)

R/Sandy - not fond of gray foods (canned mushroom soup)

On 6/4/10 10:22 AM, in article ,
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote:

I've been living in Europe a long time and love it dearly, but there
is a certain food snob segment who believe Americans only know how to
open cans and operate a microwave. So once for a dinner party I made
the infamous green bean casserole (OK, using frozen beans, not canned,
and omitting the potato chip topping, which is a dead giveaway). All
my foodie guests, without exception, raved about the delicious veggies
and begged for the special sauce recipe. I just smiled and told them
it was a family secret.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:16:00 -0700, "Taria"
wrote:

That is interesting. I guess we are just so casual and large a family
extra
dishes of any kind are always appreciated. There is NO extra dish that
doesn't fit in around us. LOL It is so easy and fun to share any
leftovers.
That just shows how wide the variation in the celebration is.

Thanksgiving here is in the fall but you will be opposite so not sure
how they address that. Usually sweet potatoes/yams are involved.
Cool weather kinds of food. One of the things that seem to show
up too often is that terrible green bean casserole. Turkey with dressing
but many are doing hams in addition these days. I would imagine they
dress in Sunday go to meeting clothes. Nice but not formal.

Just a hostess gift should do in addition to anything you might have
offered
or asked to bring.

Thanksgiving is about my favorite holiday because it isn't a gift
holiday.
It is just food and the joy of your family/friends. Not a lot of fuss
but
the cooking.
You will enjoy it Di.
Taria

"Nancy" wrote in message
Let me just add, that here in the states, if I ask you to bring
something
specific, I do appreciate that you brought what I suggested you bring
(I
usually give folks a choice of items). When I tell you not to bring
anything except yourselves, I usually do appreciate a bottle of wine,
flowers, etc. Please do not bring another dessert, side dish or main
dish, etc. I have already prepared them and yet I will feel obligated
serve yours despite the fact that it doesn't really go with the meal.

Nancy

S.E.X. and Thanksgiving Ann Quilting 0 October 11th 05 07:46 PM
OT Thanksgiving Shirley Shone Beads 16 November 25th 04 08:05 PM
Thanksgiving Janise Ross Yarn 7 October 12th 04 06:28 PM