ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac)

Old June 15th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac)

okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

Old June 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

Your friends there should have been able to order the block ?

Seems to me, very long time ago, different state of mind then,
we made a thick paste and put it in a part we had already, square shape
thing ,
you could do it with a tube and a dowel I would think. We used an "arbor
press", (we were on a farm with a small machine shop in the barn), filled
the hollow as much as we could and the pushed the "Ram" in forcing water
out and packing the stuff in rather tight. When we couldn't get any more
in, we let it dry, couple of days later it slid out of the form. Sometimes
it worked better than other times.

Your going to have to play with this one..use your imagination on how to
pack it into a form.

Small steel container, fill it up, put a board over the top and run over it
with your car, keep doing that until no more will go in. just a thought.

Old June 15th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

Why don't you try sprinkling a layer of the crystals on a pad made from a
wet paper towel and wiping the hot iron tip across it? Try dampening the
crystals just slightly (spritz with a spray bottle?)

My SalAmmoniac block gives off "grit" when I use it, sometimes I catch that
grit and put it on a wet sponge in the iron holder. It adds just enough
"abrasive" with the sponge to keep the tip just right.

Old June 15th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

As cheap as sal ammoniac bars are why not have someone in the states
send you one. They will last you till you give up stained glass or die.
I've had the same one for over 15 years and there's probably 50 years
left on it.

Andy

Old June 16th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i have to say that i missed out completely on needing one of these. I have
never used anything but a damp sponge to clean my current tips, and in the
(really) old days when i used a plumbers iron, i would keep a metal file
handy and give the tip a quick shot with that, then flux and tin the tip. It
did caus ewear on the tips but they cost what, a buck each back then? m
ups.com...

Old June 16th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

A wet sponge is all you will need. My motto is to use as little chemicals
in life as possible. I have to be near death to take a Tylenol.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 16th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

A wet sponge is all you will need. My motto is to use as little

chemicals
in life as possible. I have to be near death to take a Tylenol.

You in the right profession? About every stained glass guy I have ever met
has abused something sometime, you must be the exception.....splains alot.

Old June 16th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Glassman" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

A wet sponge is all you will need. My motto is to use as little

chemicals
in life as possible. I have to be near death to take a Tylenol.

You in the right profession? About every stained glass guy I have ever

met
has abused something sometime, you must be the exception.....splains alot.

Past is excluded.... I don't remember the 60's... ; )

Old June 16th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Air quality and your health (topic WAS - ammonium chloride)

I totally agree with you. and yes, stay as far away from Tylenol as
possible!
All of my pharmacy colleagues wouldn't take parsetamol on a bet!

speaking of chemicals...my very first stained glass mentor died of
cancer at a very
early age (in his mid-40s) and after working with glass for 4 years, i
too
developed cancer...i was lucky to have caught it in time...but what
about
the rest of you...have any of you been really ill and can you see a
link between
our glass work and the illness?

i'm trying to find a very good exhaust fan/ventilator for my studio
these days...
right now, the weather is warm and windows and doors are open...but
what's
going to happen in the cold months? i have time so i'm investigating
the
options here.

I know there are filtering devices on the market back in the US...but i
don't know
if that's the route to go or can i do better by rigging some kind of
device that will
get the fumes out in all seasons...i'd like NOT to get cancer again if
i can help it!!

arlene