Stains from Black Walnuts - Please Help

Old July 25th 05, 04:28 AM
Clemens

Default Stains from Black Walnuts - Please Help

I was picking and halving walnuts, and my hands got dark brown from
tannin in walnut's shell.

Please, is there any effective agent to remove dark stains off the
hands ?

I tried with acetone, alcohol, lighter fuel, paint thiner, windex,
washing soap, laundry detergent, but it didn't help.

Thank you.
Old July 25th 05, 07:52 PM
Stephen SG

You could try scouring powder and washing up liquid, rubbed neat into the
hands, removed most things
which stain. And then washed off.
Or you could try,
"Swarfega" Original Gel Rapid Hand Cleaner.

Stephen SG

Old July 25th 05, 09:36 PM
arne thormodsen

My brother and I used to pick these to eat. I know of no way to
remove the stains short of bleach, and in this case I'm not sure that
it's actually removing the stains or removing skin.

The bark of this tree can be used for tanning leather and the nuts and
husks for dyeing it. It's potent stuff.

--arne

Old July 26th 05, 03:44 AM
Ginny

Clemens wrote:
I was picking and halving walnuts, and my hands got dark brown from
tannin in walnut's shell.

Please, is there any effective agent to remove dark stains off the
hands ?

I tried with acetone, alcohol, lighter fuel, paint thiner, windex,
washing soap, laundry detergent, but it didn't help.

Thank you.

Seem to recall lemon juice was used for something similar. Hope it helps
Old July 27th 05, 08:06 PM
Rob

SOS pads, or similar. Just don't hurt yourself too much.

Rob

Old July 28th 05, 12:56 AM
Will O. Whisp

In article .com,
says...

SOS pads, or similar. Just don't hurt yourself too much.

Why not a wire wheel on a bench grinder!

Old July 29th 05, 03:25 AM
Rob

Except I wasn't kidding about the brillo/SOS pad. Very light abrasion
to remove outer layers of skin (and discoloration) without breaking the
skin works very well. I've done this for years after picking
blackberries, staining wood, etc.

Rob

black hills gold jewelry [email protected] Jewelry 0 September 24th 04 02:22 AM
black and white square in a square Brian Christiansen Quilting 3 June 22nd 04 07:59 AM
The significance or meaning of specific colors in different countries, ex. Black and Red in Japan? Quil Quilting 3 January 8th 04 10:22 PM
Mosaic Knitting SGC Yarn 30 December 26th 03 04:14 PM
Keepsake Quilting's solid black cotton Johanna Gibson Quilting 6 October 6th 03 05:55 PM